Sprinting?

PRMBenjey1993

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
So.. who does sprinting?
I love sprinting.. better than running *text deleted*.
Can still run but I like sprinting better :D

Best times =
100 mtrs: 12.8 seconds
200 mtrs: 27.1 seconds
Planning on trying a 400 soon :)

Dan-boxer

Reaction score
i'm just going to start putting sprinting in to my training now. I hate it though.
Erm last time i timed myself for it was in year 11, last year of school. i got 12.4 in 100m i think. and 27 something in 200m. and 57seconds was my best on 400m then aswell.

AdamG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I'll be honest with you, I don't like sprinting much. Sometimes I use it when at a British Military Fitness class because they want us to push ourselfs so I try to sprint more than run.

However when I'm doing runs in my own time, I'll rarely ever sprint even though I should. Increases Vo2 capacity which really is the best way to getting fit.

Long runs mainly increase your stamina rather than pure fitness.

ben25

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I'll rarely ever sprint even though I should. Increases Vo2 capacity which really is the best way to getting fit.

Long runs mainly increase your stamina rather than pure fitness.

Thats a very good shout alot of people forget that .

U do need to run hard to increase ya fitness not just long boring runs , even on the marines dvd ive got it says then concentrate more on shorter hard runs that long runs

Ben

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
sprinting is essential me thinks! I trained as a sprinter for years and my CV fitness was immense - so i would recommend sprint training in the build up to your PRMC lads.

My times -

100m - 11.3 sec (i did that in training once, but only competitive times count so im going to have to say 11.6!)
200m - 24.0 sec
400 - 55 sec

hobbsy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Long slow distance training is good as it will increase your endurance, help you lose weight, strengthen your heart and get your legs used to running.
Fast middle distance is great as it gets you fit quickly, especially if you incorporate sprints into it, and is the way we need 2 be training.
Short distance sprints are good for VO2 max, and are therefore good for bleep test, and putting in that big effort at the end of a run.
I try and do all 3 kinds, i.e. a 7 mile run once a week, and 3 x 3/4 milers and then a sprint session (or a circuit with sprints). With cross training like swimming or skipping or boxing as well.

Everything is good for you, just dont overdo it too soon, and get the most out of every session.

AdamG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Sprint training is the ultimate fitness training. But it's like having a ferrari with half a tank of petrol, racing a ford that has a full tank of petrol, over a long distance.

You can't have one without the other really. Stamina to keep you going and Vo2 for pure performance! Remember, sprint training makes you pant so you can't talk. This means that your lungs are expanding a lot which will mean that your lung capacity will grow bigger which will allow you to run quicker in future without getting tired.

Yes Vo2 training is the dogs, but you need stamina training too for your muscles.

hobbsy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Its not as simple as vo2 and stamina, gets pretty complicated *text deleted*. Its using different energy systems, CP, lactic acid, aerobic, you move through them during exercise. Best to do a middle -to- long run (45mins to an hour), with hills, and include sprints, that way your hitting all your energy systems, and training in every zone.

New Threads