Spur of the moment thing?

Dan

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Alright guys

Firstly, I'm Dan, I'm 18 and after looking around this forum for a while, i decided to sign up...so hi :dinner:

Anyways, I've always been interested in the armed forces for most of my life, but its only just recently (last 2 or 3 months) that I've started to seriously consider whether I would like a career in it. I first started looking on the army website, then came across the royal marines website, and started doing alot of research, and decided it was much better suited for me (would love the challenge, and overall life within the RM seems better).

Anyways, I was just wondering if anybody else was like me and has only just recently seriously considered joining up? (And not having it as a life-long ambition or anything).

Robbie Spice

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Well I've always had the idea of the joining army in the back of mind and I decided I wanted to learn more about it, then I considered the navy and I wasn't really finding anything that interested me too much on the sites and then I saw an ad for the marines on the bottom of the Navys website, so I clicked it and never really thought about anything else since.

That was earlier this year, so yeah I guess I'm the same as you.

Gorillawizard

Reaction score
Hi and welcome mate,

I'm basically in the same boat as you mate, only just recently (last 2-3 months) started to think about starting my career in the forces, after many years of shall i shant i. Basically its the overall better life that my family and i will have in the commandos that prompted me to start my application. Yeah its a very hard year in your life but hey its just a year. Just by researching the background of the cammandos gets me excited and wanting to get fitter. Anyway mate hope you get there and wear that green beret with pride.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I'm sort of similar. I considered going to Sandhurst for a while now. I had heard of the Royal Marine before but didn't know much about them, and to be honest I was a little awed.

After reading a book about them I was really inspired to join so here I am.

Babybell

Reaction score
For me I only seriously considered the armed forces around 8-10 months ago. Having been in my last year of uni, it became time to seriously consider what Im going to do with myself after.

I was originaly looking at the RAF regiment, (Both of my parents served in the RAF.) but then decided if I was looking at an infantry role, why not push myself and give the RMs a try.

Robbie Spice

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I'm sort of similar. I considered going to Sandhurst for a while now. I had heard of the Royal Marine before but didn't know much about them, and to be honest I was a little awed.

After reading a book about them I was really inspired to join so here I am.

Yeah all I really knew of the marines was when I'd go to the cinema and there was always an advert on before the film but I never thought much else about it, it was when i clicked on the site and really started reading when I realised how awesome they are.

mrdanie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hiya. Well i considered the forces when i was about 16, looked into the marines too, then got into other things. Recently finished uni and about 2 months ago thought i dont want to go straight into a job sitting at a desk until a retire, so have been thinking marines again!

Dan

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Cheers guys, good answers.

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I'm only joining *text deleted* I got made redundant at McDonalds

christomo

Reaction score
yer mate, im the same as u to be honest, my current job security is not exactly stable at the moment to it requires me to look elsewere, after looking about and havin different idea's i came accross the marine website, still abit unsure about it but i know if i didnt go for it then in later life id be gutted an would regret not at least trying it

tripper

Reaction score
yeh im pretty similar. always had a feeling the military might be for me, but never really pursued the idea. left school, dropped out of college, started working and realised I cant face a life of ordinary work til im 65... that got me looking back at the military, and like quite a few others thought why not go for the elite!

im still thinking bout it pretty hard though. after all its quite a large undertaking and i dont think it should be taken without due consideration...

christomo

Reaction score
yeh im pretty similar. always had a feeling the military might be for me, but never really pursued the idea. left school, dropped out of college, started working and realised I cant face a life of ordinary work til im 65... that got me looking back at the military, and like quite a few others thought why not go for the elite!

im still thinking bout it pretty hard though. after all its quite a large undertaking and i dont think it should be taken without due consideration...
exactly, i have a four year apprentiship, at the moment im 2 years in and already i cant hack the fact of ordinary work, doing the same thing everyday and every week. i need variety, and the military seems to give that