Standards of female RMs?

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by TheOneReborn, Jan 11, 2017 at 9:08 PM.

1. TheOneReborn

TheOneReborn New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hey everybody, as a lot of you may know, the government is planning on allowing females to join the Royal Marines and Paras. This has got me thinking about the standards that may be dropped to create "equality". Does anyone else think the corps may have to drop their high standards to allow women to serve on the front lines. I hope not - it has been my life long dream to become a Royal Marine and I want to earn my green lid as all generations before me have done! Not to sound sexist I just hope this is indeed not the case. Thoughts?

• Seen Seen x 1
  2. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando

• Like Like x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Fibonarchie

Fibonarchie Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    The one REBORN? Could this be TPA reborn??

4. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

Not me mate. What was the name of that rather nice chap/lass that came on a few months back about that was talking about Roman tactics and transgenders?

@TheOneReborn you have kinda entered the race a bit late. This topic has literally been smashed. The short answer is some of us think it's a bad idea and some dont. If your bored and want a bit of light bed time reading flick through the previous topics about it.

5. Saz

Saz Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Partner
    just to add my tuppence worth - better late than never ;)

i think its a ridiculous idea and i very much against it!

6. TheOneReborn

TheOneReborn New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Sorry if this is an overdone topic, I wasn't aware and I'll take a look at those.

7. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

No worries mate, it's an honest mistake. Its fair enough to be curious and a bit unsure about it, I had family before me in the Corps
    And it was a huge matter of pride that I did the same as them.

And I am just as angry that the possibility or lower standards. They already have admitted to putting them under review and that there is no weight limit for females, which to me is discrimination, based on someone's gender, and thus illegal under employment law. But they have seperate standards for men and women throughout the military under the illusion of "equality"

• Like Like x 4
  8. NorthernYomper

NorthernYomper Member

Completely missed this discussion. So I'll throw my tuppence into the ring as well, why not.

I think equality is important and women should have the same chance as everyone else, but it's going to be very difficult/costly to implement. At a time when the money to the military is being cut is it more important to have a workable strong RM, or an RM which is weakened but in tune with an increasingly egalitarian society?

9. Saz

Saz Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Partner
    as a female I obviously am all for equality and all that but there is a reason females haven't ever been part of the RM and as far as I can see that reason still stands, the idea of lowering standards is a crazy and stupid one and if one moment i thought about putting myself through the hell of training I would want to get a green beret based on the same standards as every RM that has been before me or else to me its worthless.

where's the equality in lowering the standards

I generally understand what the bra burning brigade are getting at but not when it comes to this

rant over - I am going back to the kitchen

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Seen Seen x 1
  10. NorthernYomper

NorthernYomper Member

Haha!

I don't think standards will be lowered, though as politicians get the last say on everything it might happen. The reason, I think, it'll the RM will be weaker is because of the extra money they'll have to throw at it in order for female RMs to be there. I don't know, but I'd suggest there are plenty of women who could pass out.

• Disagree. Disagree. x 2
    • Like Like x 1