STANDARDS.

Trooper149

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
As a matter of interest, in those three years, do you feel you are closer to joining the Armed Forces or less likely to do so?

The average pipeline from submitting an application to commencing recruit training actually averages 11 months at present.

The thing to consider is that everyone joining for the first time has 6 months to decide whether to continue or wrap.

Better to try than regret not trying & regretting not finding out. You have life experience, granted but what advice do you have to offer those joining?
I can definitely say that now more than ever, the RM is the right choice for me, however before now it wouldn't have.

Those 3 years (and the 3 years before that after I left school) has given me alot of time to do alot of stuff.

I made quite a few mistakes but I also avoided alot of other far bigger blunders.

If you are a young guy in his teens, then I'd say sure get your application under way because it is pretty arduous and last thing you want is to dream of joining the services, only to find yourself being turned away due to an unfortunate medical record.

This said, throw yourself at other goals. Build some other skillsets, complete some other challenges. Any personal stuff that needs fixing in your life, get that fixed now. I never really wanted to join the RM with the mindset that they will fix my problems. I wanted to have my problems fixed before joining.

To me, the bottom line, is your personality seems to be the decider in RM. That said, getting some character shaping experiences under your belt, is no bad thing and civvy street can genuinely throw anything at you, so there is something to be gained.

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
I can definitely say that now more than ever, the RM is the right choice for me, however before now it wouldn't have.

Those 3 years (and the 3 years before that after I left school) has given me alot of time to do alot of stuff.

I made quite a few mistakes but I also avoided alot of other far bigger blunders.

If you are a young guy in his teens, then I'd say sure get your application under way because it is pretty arduous and last thing you want is to dream of joining the services, only to find yourself being turned away due to an unfortunate medical record.

This said, throw yourself at other goals. Build some other skillsets, complete some other challenges. Any personal stuff that needs fixing in your life, get that fixed now. I never really wanted to join the RM with the mindset that they will fix my problems. I wanted to have my problems fixed before joining.

To me, the bottom line, is your personality seems to be the decider in RM. That said, getting some character shaping experiences under your belt, is no bad thing and civvy street can genuinely throw anything at you, so there is something to be gained.
Fair one to offer advice and your opinion. But you sound like a sweat.
Once you've been through training or even passed out then perhaps you can look back and make suggestions of whats best to go with.

You strike me as someone who thinks very deeply about stuff which is no criticism. However, being a nod is abit less about that and more about just doing it whether you like it or not.

Be prepared to have you're opinions and deep thoughts kicked to the gorse when you get there. Keep your head down and mouth shut to start with. You'll learn when it's time to use that initiative and intelligence but it wont be for a while.

Also, take onboard everything the older more experienced bootnecks offer on here. Im a sprog and still I look to the older guys in absolute awe at times when they spin a proper dit or offer advice. We're all pretty fortunate to have access to that knowledge so use it to your advantage.

Grey man

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
@Trooper149

Try not to overthink so much. @Rob20 has nailed it.

Most people have doubts and questions at some stage, but push them aside because there is so much else to be learned. It's good to question, in fact the Corps does NOT want gung ho idiots with no self-awareness, who could be a danger to themselves and others.

However for now just place your faith in the system and focus on being the right shaped peg for the hole they are trying to fill.

Last edited:

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
It does seem that the application process now is much longer than how it used to be. Young guys used to be able to join up in a fairly rapid time frame, where now it is an 8-12 month process. Obviously it is because, as mentioned they have a duty of care and to ensure that the people who can actually manage the training are put forward.

Purely speculating, but is it also partly because they want to ensure that candidates genuinely do what to do the training, and so they increase the wait time,etc? Can imagine with the internet these days, the recruiters get alot of guys thinking they are going to be a boy solider who joins the SBS. While in the moment they are all amped up, they can't keep the patience in the long run.
The application process is so long because officers and other bright idea fairies thought it would be great to sell off recruitment to a gash organisation that’s horrendous, probably because they have shares in it.

Capita is 100% to blame for application problems. It took me long enough to go from Regulars to RMR because they are completely and utterly useless. It’s a total dogs abortion.

Not to mention various problems with contracting out to civilian companies for various stages of recruitment. For example, did we ever get to the bottom of the Civilian PTs using heart rate monitors in people going for PJFTs and failing them for having a 2 high heart rate and not even starting? Thus creating more profit for resits. But wasting time of the applicant and the services.

Capita should have been stripped of its contract years ago for failing to fufill its contractual duties, none of this “oh well it will cost us £50 million to cancel it” No. it’s the Crown, and they have screwed it up. The cost is on them. And they should be binned. And whatever bonus’ their management are getting for being total doorknobs can pay for it.

Basically it’s with anything in the Forces, short term accountants making quick decisions with no thought to the knock on or long term effect. Or the officers have shares in whatever company is offering the sub-par services.

Former AE

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
It wasn't the yomping that was a pain, I only had 2 spare pairs of kecks and 2 pairs of socks in my cyclops roc. When we arrived in Stanley I got some more off a civvy and ceremonially burnt the ones I had used for our stroll !! Didn't help having to drink bog water with puri tabs in, they lied when they said ration packs stop you crapping !

Chelonian

Reaction score
...in my cyclops roc.
Private purchase? Showing off now. You'll be saying next that you rode the last mile on a Mk 1 Raleigh Chopper! :)

The civilian Rocs in the late 1970s were very expensive and available in a peculiar mid-green colour which required OG paint to be daubed onto them. Better than the metal-framed bergans though and more importantly they looked tacti-cool.

Former AE

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Yes it was painted and after the surrender I found a G Wagon to drive about in !