Starting the application process with an injury

Babybell

Reaction score
At the moment I still havent started the application process. I am thinking of going to see the AFCO sometime next week to get the ball rolling. The reason for my delay is that I am waiting for the results of a blood test, which could throw a major spanner in the works. (Ie, Make me medicaly unfit to join. It wont just mean I cant try for the RM either, I will be medical unfit for any of the services:cry:) The other reason is that at the moment I seem to have some sort of injury with my feet that means the most excersise I can do is swimming.

At least I am restricting myself to it just in case i could worsen the injury any more.

Providing my test comes back okay, say I started the process and passed everything prior to the PJFT; How long could I prospone from doning the PJFT/PRMC?

My other issue is that I would be starting the process in London, but I'm acctually going to be moving back down to Exeter with my dad at the end of August. How much hassle would that cause for the AFCOs?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
You can start, stop or pause the selection process at any stage as you're under no obligation to join. If you think you may have a "show-stopper" medical condition however, you're probably best waiting until it's fully diagnosed. Once diagnosed the AFCO can then advise whether it is a bar to entry rather than raise false hopes & waste your time/money whilst you await firm results.

There is absolutely no problem transferring your application between different AFCOs as long as you appreciate there maybe delays waiting for paperwork to catch up. You may find it quicker if you start the process at your 'final destination' AFCO to ensure continuity and a smooth flowing process.

Good luck.

Qwerty123

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Babybell, what's up with the injuries to your feet if you don't mind me asking?

Reason i ask is because i am out of action for some mystery ankle *text deleted*-up that appeared without an obvious cause and is scaring me a bit.
Had an ankle operation and my leg in cast for 5 weeks to no avail and just hoping its not something like arthiritus at 20!

Good luck with your application

Babybell

Reaction score
Funny yoiu should mention Arthritus Brigg. Thats what this blood test is for. Its highly unlikey but I found out my uncle was diagnosed with it when he was the same age as
me (21). Which is why Im more worried than I should be about it!

As for the injury

On my left foot I have a swollen big toe, (Though it isant as bad now.) When I walk, I get an uncomfortable pressure on the front part of my foot. (before my toes start). The best way of describing it would be like walking on bone or something.

Also three of my toes seem to be squeezed together, which is probably nothing important, but since my other foot isant doing it I thought I would mention it.

I also can not bend any of my toes on my left foot very far any more and it is uncomfortable to try.

With my right foot I seem to have a stiff achiles tendon. It also feels very tender just above the ankle bone. This started happening after I hurt my toe, which makes me think because Ive been limping around and not walking properly Ive done something to my other foot!

The achiles tendon also seems to feel uncomfortable when I sit down with my feet on the floor.

Its worse in the mornings when I get up. after walking abit it gets easier but then after awhile longer I start limping alittle bit again.

I have been on antibotics which wasnt much fun. The first set made me feel poorly then the next lot (I think they where antibotics.) gave me stomach cramps!