Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Starting training again

Discussion in 'RMR Section and RMR Selection' started by af23, Mar 4, 2020.

1. af23

af23 New Member

I wanted it open this up mainly to those with experience and older Rcts attempting or have been through training in the RMR.

He is a brief overview of my situation.

I started P1A and attended the weekends leading up to the P1A course which I passed. At this point a was loving my time with the RMR.

P1B then started and I attended the weekends leading up to bottom field pass out the 6MSM and Tac conf. I passed all 3 and had top scores for the bottom field passout and received my cap comforter - a proud moment.

Unfortunately on the RFCC I sustained an injury resulting in me being withdrawn from the course.

I had a few months off to heal the injury and began attending the weekends for a new RFCC in P1B.

Due to some unforeseen family personal circumstances I was unable to attend the RMR at this point for a year and a half.

Due to the time away I have been given the chance to carry on with the RMR but after the induction weekend (ex first step). After coming so close to finishing training I am finding it hard to make that decision at the age of 34.

My question would be to anyone who has been similar age in training how they felt with the intensity and recovery. And anyone with experience having to start training from day 1 again after coming so close to passing out.

Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Seen Seen x 1
  2. stumpylegs

stumpylegs Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Knew lads what where early 30’s in regular recruit training, I’d say is harder than rmr training and they passed out, just means recovery takes longer, like they didn’t go out boozing with the lads every weekend they could, they just scranned up in town and got some head down. Unlike the 18 yr old who can go out drinking then do bottom field the next day etc.
    They also foam rolled and stretched more than the other lads.
    It can be done.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  3. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

As RT must be commenced before the day of an applicant's 33rd birthday I'm assuming that you've been offered an age waiver?

If this is the case, consider that you may not be offered another opportunity at a future date unless you have specific, unique skills which are in particular demand.

Carpe diem.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  4. af23

af23 New Member

5. af23

af23 New Member

I am still in the system so can carry on but from the start again.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Taking an objective view it is clear that your RMR det has confidence in your ability to complete RT. This opinion should not be underestimated.

Starting over might seem harsh after being withdrawn from RFCC but it's not a punishment; it's a test of resolve. Consider gripping it, cracking on and see what happens. ;)

The obvious issue is this: if you don't do it you will always regret it. Age 34 is not over the hill!

• Like Like x 3
  7. R4Robotics

R4Robotics Spectator

My sentiments exactly!!

Also the rest of you post is spot on.

I would add that as a “senior nod” they will/might look at you to be a role model, give you more responsibility and expect you to lead the way. That’s the prof - the dip is, you will be in their sights :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. R4Robotics

R4Robotics Spectator

whilst I’m not for one second going to take away from the regular service how hard RT is. I think it’s a bit of a sweeping statement to say it’s harder than RMR, if you haven’t done it. They both bring their challenges, complexities and difficulties. They also both have profs.

Not out to point score, so won’t try to justify my comment, as we could be here all night debating pros and cons of both. My personal opinion is that there should be a mutual respect, which is an opinion I’ve also heard from PSIs

That aside - your advice and comments were spot on

• Like Like x 2
    • Seen Seen x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  9. af23

af23 New Member

I think the big thing for me here is returning back to day 1 P1A.

I am a pretty driven individual that loves a challenge/goal and at most times will be stubborn trying achieve what I set out to do. However I also want new experiences in life and starting training again will be an experience I’ve had before.

So my motivation at present is mixed with the thought of attempting pretty much the whole of training again.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Nah, for the reasons cited by @R4Robotics above it is likely to be different next time around.

I don't do recruitment propaganda but when you get to my age you will be acutely aware of missed opportunities that won't present themselves again. This is, perhaps, the biggest factor to consider.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

The bad news is, time flies. The good news is you're the pilot. Don’t waste your time or give yourself things to regret.

If you want this badly enough you’ll achieve that green lid. Best of luck.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  12. stumpylegs

stumpylegs Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Comfort and confidence mixed with fear/anticipation of knowing what’s coming ;)(sometimes ignorance is bliss, not knowing you’ve got a 9 hour yomp ahead of you)
    This has been the same struggle for every rejoin.
    It has been done before and will continue to be in the future.
    I say again:
    It can be done.

• Like Like x 3
  13. af23

af23 New Member

I agree with all above comments. At 34 this is now my last chance and the thought of living with regret is already eating me up and I haven’t made the decision yet.

I just want to make (oneSheet) aware for one second I think I’m all over it. In fact I’m open to hold my hands up and admit I’d be rusty practically and the knowledge would also be short.

I’m having comfort listening from experience that lads have achieved it still at 34.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

That’s life mate. Just character building.

Get it cracked and use your previous experience to smash it and to help others. Get noticed as the bloke who is a good egg.

• Like Like x 1
  15. af23

af23 New Member

There however is one other question I wanted to ask which is a potential concern.

looking at the training forecast the P1A course could be an issue with work. A lad I know in training couldn’t make it and therefore was loaded onto a regs Baptist run. This is something I will need to make the training team aware of ASAP.

Has anyone else heard of this in the RMR?

16. dodgyknees

dodgyknees Guest

As long as you have the right mindset, all military training is about avoiding injury. Lads on my AACC were into there 30s and some got through, but not all. Those that didn't invariably dropped out due to injury. RT will place real strain on your aging joints, look after your body as much as you can and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Remember the old maxim when it comes to avoiding injury, the fitter you are, the luckier you are!

• Like Like x 1
  17. john lewis

john lewis Venerated Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Not your marines but I passed out with a lad whose 32, it’s 100% doable and the starting from day one having been in rehab in depot myself I’ve known a few lads who’ve been put back weeks. Some take it’s as a dicking moan about it and ended up transferring, some took it as another chance to impress where they maybe didn’t do so well before and improve on the basics they’re already good at, realistically though it’s only a couple of months. Also got 2 mates who rejoined both at battalion now just shows you want it

• Like Like x 2
  18. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Off topic but is there much transferring out to other regiments?
    One lad in RT with me transferred to what was then called the Royal Army Veterinary Corps. :eek:

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  19. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

The RAVC are still alive and well. They provide excellent dog handlers.

3D743D00-8F1D-4631-BF8D-3AC1D784983C.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  20. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Wow! I assumed that that it had been long ago absorbed into the Really Large Corps.

Reserve opportunities too...

Screenshot 2020-03-06 at 17.37.38.png

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2020