Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.
  1. BEAN109

BEAN109 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Hello

Just recently completed my psychometric test and passed, only two of us taking the test. Both passed but fell short or was one mark away from failing on the mechanical part of the test.

Next stage will be booking the eye test and then applying for the medical I presume, any pointers or advice regarding how to move forward from the eye test would be great!

Have been given the pack, including the 12 week PRMC programme, will start that tomorrow. Again any advice from that would be perfect.

I am 18, play regular football and try and go to the gym 2-3 times a week, evidently that will go up due to the programme. I'm quite a lanky frame, being 6ft2 and weighing under 70kg is not the greatest, have always been trying to put weight on and gain muscle mass. When coming to training is there any advice or particular foods/specific protein shakes that anyone would advise using in order to get ready for the fitness test.

I presume the interview will be another next stage, would that be before the medical or after?? Within the interview is there anything I should focus on.

I am finishing my last two months of college studying business and have currently two part-time jobs. Have always talked about joining the RM, partially due to my father previously being in 42 Commando.

Just looking for some more guidance and advice on moving forward with the joining process.

Would be grateful for ANY advice or guidance!

Cheers

2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Welcome. At your age it's likely that you will naturally begin to bulk up over the next year. Give it a few more years and you'll only need to glance at a doughnut to gain a kilo. :)

If your first physical hurdle is the PJFT it is conducted on a treadmill. Focus on exceeding the test requirement by putting in plenty of time on treadmills. Some lads get a shock when they assume that road running is the only preparation required.

Hopefully others will chip in with their own suggestions and comments. Best of luck.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Surfbum

Surfbum Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I second this,

Train specific to your next challenge, I wouldn't concern yourself about the eye test and medical. If you are worried about the time it's taking, just drop a friendly email.

As for food and protein, eat well and try to avoid protein shakes as you can't use them in RT (I'm told) so naturally sourced protein is more then sufficient!

Another bit of advise, though not sure if it's that sound, playing a contact sport with the intention to make a hasty entry into the marines might not be wise move. I appreciate the physical benefits it has but one nasty tackle to the shin is you TMU or even PMU. Something to think about.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Mumma23

Mumma23 New Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Hi,

Would also agree with the advice given for the PJFT - treadmill running is VERY different to running on the road / outdoors as my son found out. Failed 1st PJFT because he hadn't (wouldn't!) run on a treadmill - passed 2nd time because he did train on a treadmill!).

5. The guide

The guide Royal Marines Commando

Looking past your medical bit,s for the interview study both the history bits and the current Corps.
    Where is training
    What is involved
    What are the Commando tests ,( how long , how far)
    How long is training
    What units are in the RM (not just 40,42,45)
    What weapon systems are used
    What branches are there in the RM.
    What ships might you deploy on
    What armoured vehicles do we have.
    What have the Corps been up to recently ??.

The list goes on.

Just be honest, dont tell them what you think they want to hear , as they hear it all the time.!!..be honest and be as knowledgeable as you can be.

Use this forum , Navy News (which is online) , youtube info , see if you can get a copy of the Globe & Laurel (the RM magazine) to help you.

Hope that helps a bit.