Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Static

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Boplicity, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Any one else here had experience getting a *text deleted* ton of static off treadmills? Any idea how I stop it happening? It throws you right out of the zone when you get a big zap for having your hand too close to the side rail...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I hadn't realised how apparently common this is until I googled it. Plenty of suggestions about probable causes and solutions there.

3. Boplicity

Boplicity New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Yeah I had a look and it said about those earthing wristbands so going to give that a shot. I'm going to try a different treadmill after work today and see if maybe it's an ear thing issue with the machine itself.

4. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I reckon that will be the best fix. Interesting to read that scabby, uncleaned treadmills can generate more static.

I'm pondering if static electrical discharge is a bigger issue in a warm, summer climate. If anyone does know it will be @Parhelia if she spots this.

• Like Like x 2
    • Seen Seen x 1
  5. Boplicity

Boplicity New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Seeing as mine is one of them low cost 24hr gyms this might seem the case then! Not too sure what the rules are on naming brands here but they're not the best company when it comes to equipment maintenance, hygiene is 100% spot on there though hence why I keep to them.

I'll report back my findings tonight this evening!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Feel free to name and shame! :) Good to know it's clean though.

As an aside, earlier this year comments posted about a particular business were perceived by the propietor to be adverse. The comments were mild compared to what one might read on TripAdviser, for example. He was given the opportunity to have his say so that he could get his side of the story across. He has obviously declined the opportunity.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Boplicity

Boplicity New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Pure gym, *text deleted* equipment maintenance on the whole but it's a mega clean gym, and the hygeine facilities are spotless! Guess you get what you pay for though.

Interesting stuff seeing a company owner on here trying to defend product though.

8. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Could be your trainers. Could be shorts/shirt. Or it could be that the treadmill is poorly grounded... What kind of flooring is it on?

I’ve never heard of this before but just thinking out loud here.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Boplicity

Boplicity New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Right lads, update:

Was thinking treadmill or shorts as I only wear cotton tops. I chose a different treadmill and wore cotton shorts. Chap gets on the treadmill I've been having grief with and for scientific reasons I didnt warn him, he was also wearing the kind of shorts I usually wear with the under armour inserts 2 in 1 kinda thing. So anyways about 5 minute into his run I see him predictably Zeus himself as I try to contain my laughter.

Let the staff know and they said they would look into it and get a chap out to carry out some maintenance on it. They did say those shorts are pretty notorious at creating static though!

Edit: Johnny, it's on one of those grounding plates for half of it and a mat type material for the other half

• Hoofin Hoofin x 3
  10. Parhelia

Parhelia Member

Short answer:

Yes, it is. (But not exclusively in summer - see below).

Long answer, for anyone interested:
    Water is an electrical conductor. Dry air holds fewer water molecules in it than moist air, and so dry air acts as an electrical insulator, whilst moist air helps to act as more of a conductor. To this end, electrical charges don’t really flow in dry air, so it sits in the air as static electricity. Right now, there is a high pressure system sat over the UK, and these cause dry, stable conditions and suppress upward vertical motion. This means that the air is dry and relatively still, so electrical charges in the air don’t flow or move nearly as well as they do in more unstable and moist conditions.

Because of what’s going on meteorologically, more charge is able to build up between objects of different materials rubbing against each other – like the belt on a treadmill. This charge builds up, a bit like a charging battery, and then wants to be able to discharge through something conductive. When you place your hands on or near the arms of the treadmill (where I imagine there are some metal plates) that electrical charge discharges and uses you as a pathway and causes that shock you’re feeling. The same thing can happen if you’ve driven for a while on a dry, sunny day, and you get out of your car and shut the door: sometimes you’ll get an electric shock when your hand touches the metal door. This is the same reason why aircraft have to be ‘grounded’ before they can be refuelled after flying (except consequences of that not happening are way more significant than a small, sharp shock in your hand!)

An additional problem for your treadmill runs is that you’re in a gym which is probably air conditioned in order to keep the gym environment more tolerable for people doing exercise. Air conditioning units act to both cool down and dry out the air, further enhancing the build up of static electricity in the air, on top of the current weather situation.

The high pressure system is going to start to break down towards the middle of the weak and following behind it is going to be some wet and windy conditions from a low pressure system moving in from the west, so from Thursday you might find the shocking problem is slightly better! (Please let me know if it is better, I really want to know now).
    If the air conditioning unit were to break, that would also help you (no, I’m not suggesting you break it) :)

Maybe try those earthing wrist bands instead! :)
    I hope this helps!

• Winner Winner x 4
  11. Boplicity

Boplicity New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Oh wow that was such a cracking answer Parhelia. I'm genuinely in awe of that knowledge you're throwing out there! Thanks for putting the time in for that reply too!

So i was thinking... the other night I was getting these massive shocks, it was dead in the gym with the aircon up well high, today it was super busy with 100+ people so it was all humid with a musk in the air. Could that be why I wasn't getting zeused?

Doesnt explain the lad on the culprit treadmill acting as my lab mouse though

• Like Like x 1
  12. Parhelia

Parhelia Member

No worries! :)

Yes, that's exactly right :)
    Everybody is in there sweating; that sweat evaporates off the skin and is held in the air, increasing the amount of moisture in the air (and thus the humidity). The increased moisture means the air is more conductive so you have charges able to flow through water molecules in the air, rather than hanging around and building up and causing shocks.

You were doing it for science, and I'm not above that sort of thing :)
    One time at uni all of my flatmates annoyed me just a bit too much over the course of one week - being noisy all night, leaving the kitchen in a state, etc. They all used the toaster in the morning and I didn't, so I turned the dial on the toaster up to full and went on my way to lectures and they all burnt their toast that morning.
    That is the limit of how evil I'll be, but it felt good :)

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  13. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Awesome answer

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  14. Parhelia

Parhelia Member

@Boplicity
    Out of interest, have you seen any improvement in the static issue over the last few days after all that rain went through?
    Asking out of curiosity and because your answer could be useful for my job! :)

• Seen Seen x 3