Steroids and the forces

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Looking for a yes or no answer really,concerning the use of AAS (Steroids) and how/if it effects joining.

This isnt being asked on behalf on anyone,and i also dont really want to get into a disscusion into peoples views on steroids as its one of those things that can get way out of control and off topic. I mearly ask as lot of my freinds that at some point have 'used' before ,have managed to get into the forces without a problem.

Remembering back to my medical i think all they take is a urine sample. Is it possible for anything to show up in this?

Any advice from guys in the know would be apprieciated.

Cool Hand Luke

Reaction score
Why are you considering using AAS mate, are there any specific goals you think they may help you achieve?

Because, I can not see how they would be of any benefit to someone seeking a career in the Royal Marines

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Like i said mate,the question isnt being asked for anyone in particular,that includes myself. Ive lifted weights for years and am happy with my current strength/size. Just wondering really if its something that is easily detectable. Lots of lads i know have been on cycles quite close to having a medical and had no problems.

Cool Hand Luke

Reaction score
Ah right, sorry mate misread your post. As far as I'm aware they do not test for AAS, I think it's just:

Cannabinoids (marijuana, hashish - tests for metabolite THCCOOH)
Cocaine (cocaine, benzoylecognine, cocaethylene)- tests for cocaine metabolite)
Amphetamines (amphetamine, methamphetamine)
Opiates (heroin, opium, codeine, morphine, 6-MAM)
Phencyclidine (PCP)

However I suppose if some super-jacked person rocks up with acne all over over him and a glowing red face, it might raise a few suspicions and lead them to testing for AAS.

AAS I've heard are really expensive to test for too.

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Cheers mate,just what i was looking for. Sorry if i came across a bit blunt!