Still TMU

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Scotland19, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Scotland19

Scotland19 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    So my medical went under review this morning and as expected it's been placed on hold (but not PMU so that's atleast something)

The letter reads:

I am writing to you following your recent military pre-employment medical as part of your application to enlist or commission in the Royal Navy.

Unfortunately, your application has been placed on hold at this time following review of the medical history we currently hold and the results from your medical appointment.

The reason for this is the following:

I have reviewed the reports on your previous fractures to arm and ankle and regret to inform you that there is insufficient information on the recovery/healing of both fractures. This appears to be because you did not attend the appointments made for you. To proceed your application you will need to be reviewed by an orthopaedic clinic and provide X-ray confirmation of fracture healing and normal function.

Your application is held with a status of Temporarily Medically Unfit and this decision has been made in accordance with the Medical Service Entry standards (JSP 950). All new entrants undergo intensive training, which is both physically and mentally demanding. The Royal Navy has a Duty of Care to all who apply to serve and require that all entrants must be fit to serve anywhere in the World for the duration of their service.

LETTER ENDS

So basically does anybody know if I can get these X-rays through my doctor or do I need to go private? also how much is it likely to cost and is private more likely to be alot faster?

Thanks.

2. Cct_99

Cct_99 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker .

As advised on 18th Oct:
    The issue is that GP's are focused on primary healthcare rather than occupational health issues (relating to job applications), so the odds are it's going to cost you, whichever way it goes unfortunately.

Best bet? Call your GP practice manager to check whether they would consider sending you for xrays - my guess is they quite probably won't entertain it unless there is a problem affecting your health...and if there is, then that is likely to affect suitability for service. If there is a cost, your Practice Manager maybe able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Scotland19

Scotland19 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    After an hour long phone call with a very reluctant doctor today and a lot of arguing he's finally gave in and referred me to an orthopedic surgeon to get details that will hopefully allow me to move forward with my medical. It's going to be a 12 week wait for an appointment but considering it was looking like it wasn't going to happen at all I'm happy to wait the 12 weeks.

• Like Like x 3
  5. westy

westy Well-Known Member

Mate, I’d advise in the 12 weeks smashing a phys diary along with all the medical evidence as this will also show both an orthopaedic Dr you’re all ok plus the Navy Drs!!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Scotland19

Scotland19 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Yeah I've been keeping a diary for the last few months mate just incase. After I see the orthopedic Dr and have X-rays I have to then get my doctor to send the results back off to CAPITA to be reviewed before they'll even give me a face to face medical so not quite out of the water yet but just hoping for the best.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dvv63

Dvv63 Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Hi, I would make sure it's a digital diary rather than just a handwritten or pc generated one, it's all official then

• Like Like x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  8. codycaesar

codycaesar New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Hello, I’m waiting for my face to face medical and I’ve seen a lot of people mention a diary that they have to write for capita? Can anyone enlighten me as to why and what this is please, any information would help as I want to be prepared and able to crack on straight away, thank you

9. Scotland19

Scotland19 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    You only need to write a training diary really if you have had an injury that has at one point deemed you medically unfit. In my case I've had a broken ankle and wrist that I failed to have treated properly and this is causing me numerous issues in my medical. Basically a training diary is just like a normal diary but you jot down the training you have done on a daily basis so for example.....17/11/2018 - AM - 8 mile run (42 minutes) PM - Gym.....this basically allows the medical examiner to see that you're capable of doing ardous exercise and the fact that you've got a diary to show that you've been able to keep up the high intensity of training for say 3 months without any problems, they are far more likely to deem you fit with this evidence. Hope that clears it up a bit mate.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Scotland19

Scotland19 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    But if capita are putting you through for a face to face medical and you've not had any serious injuries that are putting your medical on hold then you shouldn't really need a training diary but always better to keep one just incase.

11. Scotland19

Scotland19 Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Cheers for info mate, I'll convert it over to a digital diary and just keep it on my phone or laptop as of now.

12. codycaesar

codycaesar New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Thanks this is helpful, I did break hand and let it heal on its own a few years ago which deemed me unfit on the phone call but I think my doctor cleared me because I can book my face to face

13. Dvv63

Dvv63 Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Quote from @Ninja_Stoker
    A digital fitness diary which includes video training evidence together with the length, distances, timings, dates, frequency, elevation of your runs, such as smart watch or mobile app downloads are far more credible than a hand or type written diary with imaginary, unverifiable training schedules which demonstrate creativity and little else.

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  14. SomethingManly

SomethingManly New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Does anyone have the name of a good app?

15. JTech

JTech Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Strava, Nike+, edomondo.

Also, lot of crossfit athletes are using an app called wodproof for qualifiers etc which looks decent.

Edit: wodproof app

• Like Like x 1
  16. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

A bit late to the party here but anyone finding themselves in a similar situation should consider making an appointment with their GP and explaining what they want to achieve. The GP won't step outside of his or her professional protocols but he or she will almost certainly co-operate as best as he or she can. As Ninja states, GPs exists to deliver Primary Health Care to sick people. Supporting the career aspirations of very fit youngsters is very much secondary for some reason. :eek:
    From experience, human nature being what it is, most GPs will respond well to polite, gentle charm and will do their best, within the parameters in which they operate, to help out. Best of luck.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Andy2hips

Andy2hips Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    A box of chocolates go along way too....

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  18. westy

westy Well-Known Member

My dr was useless but I had an angel come and save me!! Genuine too!! In fact I owe her a large bottle of port!!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

My preferred bribes are:

1. Quality biscuits in winter
    2. Mixed chilled melon and grape pots in summer

As Don Corleone may have said "Everyone has a price." :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. westy

westy Well-Known Member

I reckon melon will go off in the post ;)

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1