Stitch question

GreenLidSeaker

Reaction score
Alright Lads, another annoying stitch question but a strange one.

Basically i have recently changed my diet around a tad and im consuming a small portion of whole wheat pasta an hour before i run, to give me some fuel to burn. However when i do My Fartlek training, 5Milers, Sprint sessions i never get a stitch. When it comes to my 2x1.5 miles i keep getting this stitch on the return which is really annoying as we all know!

Could this be due to me thinking about pacing myself too much, that i forget about controlling my breathing or not waiting long enough for my food to digest. Or could it simply be that i drank a bit too much water before the runs?

Im normally running a 9:28 - 9:35 but this stitch is adding 15-20 seconds on top of this :mad:

Anyone that has been in this situation or could shed some light, it would be greatly appreciated!

GLS.

MacheteMeetsBiscuit

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I also found this problem when I bothered with 3-milers. I think it's the pure prolonged intensity that mashes you up.

Sprint sessions are stop-start, i.e. your body can settle again before the next abuse section, as is fartlek in terms of pace, and longer runs are less mental in terms of jiggiliness on your insides (professional term! :bigsmile:)

A 3-miler is essentially an all-out 1.5-mile sprint though, and it is absolutely horrible. Stitches are caused when your food and water are bouncing around too much inside and you sort of cramp up. Drop the pasta or wait another hour before you test. You'll see a difference. Stay hydrated but don't binge on water. This should help.

OneMoreWrap

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
It's just your diaphragm cramping as blood is pumped round to the body to aid the muscles during exercise, this reduces the blood supply to the diaphragm causing it to cramp!

Another theory is that it's caused by fluids that the body finds hard to digest and causes the diaphragm to tug on the ligaments joining to the stomach.

I get a stitch sometimes when running but not a lot.
I find it goes if you take in a large breath then exhaling quickly.
Apparently this stops the diaphragm tugging and relieves the pain :)
Hope it helps guys!

GreenLidSeaker

Reaction score
Cheers for the quick reply's guys!

Think im just going to eat my pasta 2 hours before, and keep the liquids at a decent level. Then if i do get a stitch i'll give that Big inhale quick exhale a crack!

Thanks once again lads.

OneMoreWrap

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
The exhaling thing has worked for me before, just breathe right in til you feel your diaphragm stretch :)

Good luck

JT-96

Reaction score
I've heard that another cause is always inhaling at the same time as you land on one foot. Apparently alternating which side you take a breath on can help this.

e.g. Inhale on the right foot, take two steps, inhale on the left foot