Stitch!!

southerncomfort

Reaction score
Guys,

This last week I have been getting stitch really badly in the right side of my stomach when running and its always after the warm up and taking in water.

My routine is I start with 15 minutes on the rowing machine on a high level as a warmup (although I feel knackered at the end of it :eek:ops: ) I then have a cup of water because Im sweating like mad and my mouth is dry... Now im not chugging down gallons of water during the rest period which is only 2 minutes long I have a small cup of water from the dispenser and take it in slowly over the two minute break. I then run on the treadmill for whichever distance im doing on that day. Now its when im getting into about 3 to 4 minutes that the stitch becomes really painfull and I have to slow down to a walk to catch my breath and let the stitch die off.

Just wondering if its the amount of water im taking on or what, as I know Im supposed to stay hydrated during exercise. I drink around 3 - 4 litres of water a day anyway as I dont drink tea or coffee or fizzy drinks but its this tiny amount during a session that has started to hinder me. It has never happended before so I dont get why its happening now :evil:

Rob

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i heard that you need to do quick sharp breaths to get rid of it.

Shiloh79

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Southern C - mate it could be your warm up that your doing ... 5/6mins at a decent pace on any cardio machine is more than enough to do before starting a run on a treadmill, All your meant to do with a warm up is loosen your muscles up so that there's less likely hood of injury mate. As well as that mate you need to make sure your breathing is right regardless of which cardio exercise your doing ... if its not right, your probably not getting enough oxygen into your system to feed your muscles, if that happens you'll get a build up of lactic acid in your muscle, causing a dull pain or stitch!

Hope that helps mate :D

Lshort1988

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
most things suggest getting a stitch is more to do with your breathing or if youve eaten too close to excercise heres something i found...

A side stitch is a piercing sensation just below the ribcage, usually felt when you're running. In the past, several different theories tried to explain the cause: trapped gas, swollen liver, stomach muscle cramps. However a recent and fairly conclusive theory holds that strain on the ligaments connecting the liver to the diaphragm is the cause.
The liver "hangs" from the diaphragm by fibrous bands called ligaments. Running exerts a steady downward force on your liver, stretching these ligaments. In addition, when you exhale (usually as your left foot hits the ground), your diaphragm is pushed up. That means your liver falls with gravity as your diaphragm rises, placing considerable strain on those poor ligaments.

The result? A stitch. The cure? Stop running immediately and press your hand just below the pain. This should raise your liver up, relieving the strain on the ligaments. Inhale and exhale evenly as you press down.

As a preventive measure, take deep, full breaths while running. If you take shallow breaths, your diaphragm is consistently raised, which wreaks havoc on your ligaments. Exercise is great, but remember to be kind to the rubber bands keeping your organs in place

Hope that helps!

Plummy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i used to get it during football if u put a little bit of salt in *text deleted* water everyday should get rid of it

paddlequack

Reaction score
Drink a pint/2 of water before exercise preferably an hour or two before, then do not drink at all until all cardio vascular work has finished.
And when you get a stitch breathe in on the left foot if the stitch is on the left and vice versa, always works for me.
Nice deep breaths.