Stitch

ryanp16

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Not an injury as such, but whatever.

I've been running regularly for 8 months, with no problems whatsoever. Two weeks ago I started doing intervals, and as of last week whenever I run at all, even a slow run, I get a pretty bad pain under my right rib cage, really painful, goes away a few seconds after I stop running, so pretty much a stitch.

Any advice on this?

Thanks lads!

dylan-7

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Dont eat or drink too much for a few hours before you run

OneMoreWrap

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Stretch arms above head and breathe deep to stretch diaphragm.
Breath in deep the exhale quickly to release diaphragm also, works for me.

If not, run it off!

Kiddeh

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Everyone gets a stitch every now and again... it's usually a sign you're bouncing your run (i.e putting effort into the upward movement and relying on momentum to keep you travelling rather than actively focusing on the forward motion) which puts a bit more stress on your diaphragm hence the pain...

Not eating an hour before helps but you should still drink... ALWAYS drink... stay hydrated it's paramount

I don't know how you run but as I said try to avoid bouncing... the upwards movement generally happens when you run slow by the way

I'm not sure where you run but if there's a steep decline at all just take it easy going down the hill... bounding down a hill puts more tension on the diaphragm... this of course isn't good

lastly... breathe... deeper breaths means your diaphragm gets to relax (fully) once per breath. less tension... less chance of a stitch

crack on mate and tell us how you fair

ryanp16

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips lads!

Yeah, not eating for a good while beforehand did the job. No problems at all now. Thanks guys!