Stitch!!

Jack T

Reaction score
Alright lads. Bit of an odd 1.

I seem to get get stitch quite easily. I usually have to leave it at least an hour n a half after eating before I go running. Sometimes I come home from work having eaten *text deleted* all all day, go running and then still get it! But then other times I can get up on a Sunday, finish off the pizza/kebab/curry from the night before, down a load of water/left over larger and then go and play football for 90mins and be fine!?

*text deleted* heard its something to do with abdomen muscles or something. I can keep going usually by shoving my fingers in to where it hurts but it limits my speed and I don't think a RM corporal would have much sympathy.

Anyone else had problems with this?

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Its mainly to do with the diaphragm, various causes and the most common is under-trained and not used to the amount of movement.

Leave it for about an hour or two after eating before going for a run, and make sure you do eat during the day, I had same thing till I left it at least an hour before running, no idea why it happens though haha

gedro

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Running 2 days on, one off, 2 on, one off, etc. Sorts your diaphram out.

Old Man

Ex-Matelot
Reaction score
Not sure I agree with the diaphragm being responsible for a stitch, I consider it to be involved with spasms in the gut, due to blood being diverted from the gastric system to the muscles.

I think this is why pressing at the site of the pain relieves it somewhat.

Pain can only be felt in the gut when it is stretched and obviously if there's a problem with peristalsis, a part of the gut will stretch.

I remedy I found effective during sparring, was to get someone to give a couple of blows with the back of the fist/forearm to the affected spot, with the intention of disturbing the spasm.

When this works, which I found to be most of the time, relief is almost immediate.

The blows should be quite firm, about the same as a hard slap and be delivered to a tensed abdomen.

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
Alright lads. Bit of an odd 1.

I seem to get get stitch quite easily. I usually have to leave it at least an hour n a half after eating before I go running. Sometimes I come home from work having eaten *text deleted* all all day, go running and then still get it! But then other times I can get up on a Sunday, finish off the pizza/kebab/curry from the night before, down a load of water/left over larger and then go and play football for 90mins and be fine!?

*text deleted* heard its something to do with abdomen muscles or something. I can keep going usually by shoving my fingers in to where it hurts but it limits my speed and I don't think a RM corporal would have much sympathy.

Anyone else had problems with this?

sadly sticth is stitch you just have to grin and bear it. I used to get it loads, just goes away as your fitness improves.

BBC SPORT | Health & Fitness | What causes a stitch?

Found te above....

....but i got to admit your life style has somethign to be desired.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Don't you find you get stitch in your lungs? Recently I have been getting it more in the guy...but usually slow my run then speed up when it wears off.

I actually found when I was drinking loads of orange juice before a run I was more likely to get stitched, as opposed to water.

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure I agree with the diaphragm being responsible for a stitch

Diaphragm probably isnt the direct cause of the stitch, but its what is affected by it and where the pain is. Pretty much all medical journals and articles on the subject point to this.

Old Man

Ex-Matelot
Reaction score
Diaphragm probably isnt the direct cause of the stitch, but its what is affected by it and where the pain is. Pretty much all medical journals and articles on the subject point to this.

Disagree. I reckon that most stitches are felt in the side, lower than the diaphragm.

When one gets winded, that's the diaphragm in spasm and a totally diferent sort of pain/feeling.

Also, I've never had a stitch that was anywhere other than in the side yet the diaphragm goes across the whole of the abdomen. So why not feel a stitch in the middle or towards the back?

And why is a stitch most usually associated with the length of time between eating and training?

Until science can show the precise mechanism, my theory is as valid as theirs.

And I can show definitively where a number of medical text books are incorrect and have been for years.

But it doesn't really matter whether my theory is right or wrong - the remedy I suggested seemed to work most of the time.

Jack T

Reaction score
*text deleted* cheers old man, il give it it a try. May get a few strainge looks, punching my self in the stomach at the side of the road tho.

Mines usualy lower abdomen and at the side but sometimes I get it under my lung and it stops me from breathing untill i stop, which is worrying.

C

critchmufc

last time i got a stitch was about a week ago, i get them randomly every month or 2 months, anyway, it was a killer, felt like crying, but just run and it goes after a mile or so

Old Man

Ex-Matelot
Reaction score
*text deleted* cheers old man, il give it it a try. May get a few strainge looks, punching my self in the stomach at the side of the road tho.

Mines usualy lower abdomen and at the side but sometimes I get it under my lung and it stops me from breathing untill i stop, which is worrying.

I found it was usually better to get somebody else to do the hitting - a bit difficult hitting yourself hard enough.

Anyhow, let us know if it works for you.

aethefox

Reaction score
stitches are caused by lactic acid build up. it happens most commonly when you up the tempo of training. the simple remedy for it is getting more oxygen to your lungs however that may be a little difficult when running balls out. you may also be drinking to much water straight before exercise which doesn't help training even if you don't get stitches. are you warming up before runs?

Reaction score
A Stitch is caused by not having enough oxygen in the blood. Tho body creates lactic acid, to produce more oxygen. This lactic acid first gets stored in the liver, then, if you continue to run with a stitch, in the larger muscles, starting with the legs.

You need to increase the oxygen in the blood by taking deeper breaths, or, by reducing the work rate (ie slowing down). You'll get them less as you train more because your heart and lungs get more efficient at transferring oxygen to the blood.

Best way to deal with them, in my experience, is to keep running, but force yourself to breath harder for the next minute or so.