Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Stoic Conditioning

Discussion in 'Training Methods and Diet Suggestions' started by Treeforce333, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Treeforce333

Treeforce333 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Just wondering but has anyone come across the Stoic Conditioning training programmes and if so what do people think about them, are they any good or worth the money??

• Like Like x 1
  2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I can't comment on any paid-for training programme but the philosophical concept of stoicism has been around for several thousand years and is worth learning about. I have deployed stoicism almost every day of my adult life without paying anyone a penny.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Hyperhippo

Hyperhippo Active Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    A couple of years ago I got the ‘Tactical Athlete’ programme and followed that. Although now you subscribe to a programme and have to pay X amount on a monthly basis for a minimum amount of months, I think you have to download their app as well to receive it all.

Would I recommend it? Not massively, I would sooner point someone in the direction of Arnys programme first, so yeah have a search on here for Arnys programme have a read through it and tweak it around to suit you at this moment in time and your current fitness abilities. It’s aimed at guys who are between PJFT and PRMC, but nonetheless it will provide a solid base level of fitness needed for the military even if you did reduce the intensity, plus it’s free!

4. MassamanDave

MassamanDave Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    I have a mate that used them and passed PRMC. From following them on social media, those boys definitely know their stuff when it comes to all aspects of training. The often hold q&a's on Instagram and their responses are great to learn from!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Treeforce333

Treeforce333 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Cheers for the useful insight mate

6. Treeforce333

Treeforce333 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Yeah Ive seen the Instagram q&a's and their social media, plus the guys that run it seem to have been top of there game considering the majority are former or serving special forces. Maybe Ill give one a try further down the road, *text deleted* I'm following Arnys programme and it seems solid so far

7. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

@arny01's programme has been responsible for getting more guys through their PRMC, including his own son, than any other programme that I've seen. It's a proven winner and what's more it's free!

Alan

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  8. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

People often feel that by paying for something, you somehow get a better product!! :confused: Training methods have become very scientific and complicated, with many weird and wonderful ways of promising you huge results. A strong word of warning!!

You only get out what you put in, and be extremely wary of someone who promises you a great run time without actually running. Be specific, put the work in and you’ll be successful.

• Like Like x 2
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  9. AngryArgie

AngryArgie Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    “Can’t hurt me” by David Goggins is a good book on stoic philosophy, the audio book version of it really hits home for me, although I would recommend if you do buy the book to not go into reading it thinking it’s a manual of some kind but instead as a book to entertain yourself with and just take from it whatever you find, read it twice or three times and you’ll see and think about things you might have missed the first time round. Other alternatives are to watch or listen to some of David Goggins podcasts, the ones with Joe Rogan are especially good.

Jocko Willink’s podcast featuring Jordan Peterson and Echo Charles is another one I highly recommend although not as specific as DG he does have a habit of making me think deeply and often too.

There’s a number of JP and Jockos podcasts the one I have linked is the first (and best in my opinion). Jordan Peterson’s book “twelve rules for life” is also very good although it’s taken me a few read throughs to fully understand it.

Not saying any of these will necessarily work for you, or anyone as a matter of fact. They are just what I found useful to take a different perspective in what I was doing in the here and now in my day to day activities and they helped me discover how much I was really leaving on the table and I definitely think they helped (and still are!) in my attempts to better myself

10. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Ancients such as Marcus Aurelius and Seneca knew a thing or two about stoicism.
    Modern interpretations sometimes just recycle and repackage the wisdom of the past. It's good to think; less good to overthink.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  11. epicurean

epicurean New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    The STOIC conditioning programmes on Instagram and other places should be avoided in my opinion. They focus TOO MUCH on weight training and other things that aren’t necessarily relevant to the tasks in hand.
    Yeah it’s all well and good being strong and having cute muscles but people get lost in these programmes and forget what it is they’re training for.

Like others have mentioned on here, do some research of stoicism itself instead of throwing away £30 a month for something you can create yourself for free.

You need to be able to run, do press ups, sit ups and pull ups on PRMC and that’s pretty much it. Save your money and keep your training simple. If you’re going to pay for anything then pay a fiver for Sean Lerwills E-book ‘pass the prmc’. Worked for me and it’s worked for countless others provided they’ve followed it honestly.

Just thought I’d get my opinion on there, ever the pot stirrer and squabble provoker :p

• Like Like x 5
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Concur. Like many people, blokes in particular, I always research products before buying and always read the reviews with a healthy dose of scepticism. Equally, I tend to buy the best I can afford in the belief you get what you pay for.

I'll not slag-off anything in the public domain but equally, there's no quick-fix, secret or magic bullet in preparing for PRMC. It's just good honest physical prepartion focused on CV fitness (runs & swims mainly) and further developing fitness with bodyweight exercise. It is so simple, it is almost boring.

Even after 12 years of this forum preaching straight from the horse's mouth, we still come across people running in boots, with weight, taking supplements and powerlifting despite our best efforts to advise against it.

The other issue is people either leave it too late to incrementally increase their phys to minimise risk of injury or try to do too much, too soon with exactly the same painful benefit of experience with hindsight.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  13. Jack of no trades

Jack of no trades Royal Marines Commando

Have you looked at any of there prgrammes?

I was involved with them, used a couple of their programmes from their inception. The lads who run it are all serving or former Royal, para (one guy has been both) and now, I believe some former badged lads.

Alot of their work is based around building work capacity, CV and general robustness, weights are still very useful.
    Their programmes are decent, and I'd say go for it and see how you get on, they know what they are doing.

14. Rover

Rover Moderator

Can't crack me I am a Rubber Duck!:cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  15. Caversham

But it comes at a cost of £30 per month! I have no doubt of the quality of it, but it does seem like Royal and Perce trying to make a living out of something similar to loads of other military fitness programmes.

Plenty of programmes out there, which are proven and do not cost a penny.

Alan

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Jack of no trades

Jack of no trades Royal Marines Commando

true that, and to be fair, all I did as prep was run lots and do circuits and lift in the gym.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  17. Caversham

Agreed! I always try to impress upon those who aspire to join to Keep It Simple. Look at what's required and then practice, practice and practice some more. Bang out the press ups, sit ups, and pull ups at every opportunity. Run as much as possible, up to around 6 miles, (used to be 8 miles, but they've currently dropped the run back from the EC now), hill sprints and then circuits, firman's lifts, drags etc etc in all weathers.

Royalties for the above can be forwarded to me, whenever convenient, or they can buy my beer in Exmouth, whilst they listen to my sh!t dits! :D

Alan

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  18. Rover

Rover Moderator

Stoic conditioning!o_O:confused:

It’s just a ‘State of Mind’;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2