Strength Training

browner467

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Why does there seem to be such an emphasis on strength training currently? The 12 week pre PRMC program seems to have a bigger focus on strength/muscular endurance than CV endurance (only two runs per week), compared to the likes of many programs on here that have 4-5 days running.

A friend of mine has just left the PARA’s, he was a PTI and has designed a training program for me. Four sessions which focus mainly on strength, finishing with lung burners at the end and then two CV sessions which is one intervals session and one distance run.

Just looking for people’s opinions on it.

anon1234

Reaction score
It might just be what you have observed or heard which seems as if there's a trend to strength, because equally there are a number of threads on here which emphasise the cardiovascular and running element.

Ultimately, you run and use you lungs a lot, there'll be lots of bodyweight stuff, drag and carries. Strength has a role, but it's not the main one.

Get good at running, swimming, calisthenics, drags and carries then whatever time is left in the week maybe hit some basic strength work. This is just my analysis.

browner467

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
It might just be what you have observed or heard which seems as if there's a trend to strength, because equally there are a number of threads on here which emphasise the cardiovascular and running element.

Ultimately, you run and use you lungs a lot, there'll be lots of bodyweight stuff, drag and carries. Strength has a role, but it's not the main one.

Get good at running, swimming, calisthenics, drags and carries then whatever time is left in the week maybe hit some basic strength work. This is just my analysis.
I have always been of the same opinion as you, I just find it interesting to see different people’s opinions.

smashlegs

Reaction score
Personally I only need to run every third day to make consistent progress. Just make sure the intensity is there. I’ve found I progress better this way and eliminate the risk of injury. Leaving more time for anything else. I don’t think people need to run 5 times a week, but keep in mind everyone’s body is different.