Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Stress Fracture

Discussion in 'Common Training Injuries' started by Dandanpearson, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Dandanpearson

Dandanpearson Member

So I thought I had shin splints but I'm almost 100% sure its a stress fracture. Sharp pain in one spot along my inside shin. Anyone had any issues with a stress fracture? I'm *text deleted* book an appointment at the doctors to get it checked out, praying I dont have one

2. JohnDoe

JohnDoe Active Member

Don't rule out shin splints. Hopefully it won't be a stress fracture though. Rather wait until you have chatted to the doc. Good luck man.

3. Yorkshire_RM

Yorkshire_RM Member

I did suffer that early on when I started running, the worst sharp pain imaginable.

Plenty of rest and I was fine. I doubt it is a stress fracture, but if you think it's a possibility there is no harm in making sure.

• Like Like x 1
  4. What a Banana!

What a Banana! Well-Known Member

I don't think you'd be able to walk with a stress fracture unless your iron man of course :p.

Is it a sharp shooting pain?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dandanpearson

Dandanpearson Member

Aye its a sharp pain when pressure is applied on it, doesnt feel like shin splints as the pain isnt displaced its like only on this one point, it almost feels like a bruised bone hurts to much to walk my fingers across on my leg

6. Raven

Raven New Member

It could be a stress fracture, you can still walk with them, it just becomes very painful.

If you press down on it and it feels like the pain is radiating from one spot then there's a good chance that it is actually a stress fracture.

Speak to your doctor, he'll be able to give you the best advice on it.

7. sparky12nick

sparky12nick New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Any verdict on the root of your pain? Experiencing something similar, but its bearable.

Don't want to cause too much serious damage. For the moment I just keep going and keep running.

8. Dandanpearson

Dandanpearson Member

I have no idea what it is. Had an x ray and they said that it all looked normal. They just said its shin splints but it feels like. Bruise on my bone. I'm just doing the same as well, battling through *text deleted*

9. Raven

Raven New Member

I'm not a medical professional, but there are a few bits of information I've read (can't find source) that stress fractures are so small they tend not to show up on X-rays. So it's still possible.

Just do toe-taps and make sure you foam-roll, keep us updated.

Don't train too hard on it, else you'll end up hurting yourself even more in the long run. Do what you thinks best.

10. What a Banana!

What a Banana! Well-Known Member

I had the same thing mate. And it was shin splints. Sharp pain on the shin bone, I went to the osteopath, changed my running shoes and it cleared up within a few months.

11. Dandanpearson

Dandanpearson Member

Yeah I have heard a few people say change running shoes, *text deleted* try that an will keep doing the toe taps! I have my interview on the 18th, any idea how long after that I'll have my PJFT?

12. Raven

Raven New Member

According to peoples signatures it's around 1-2 months. Best wait for Andy or someone to clarify though.

13. Corona

Corona Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Did having a visit to the doctors about shin splints cause many problems with your medical?
    Thanks

14. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

This poster has not visited the forum for well over 4 years!

Alan

• Like Like x 3
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  15. Corona

Corona Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    My bad, I thought it said 2018, not 2013. I didn't even realise how close we were to October 2019.

16. diggernet

diggernet New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    If anyone is currently having problems with shin pain/splints I can help, private msg me

• Like Like x 2
  17. Jaykay2343

Jaykay2343 Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    He's now a "PTI" in a chain gym advising people on joining the forces :-/

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1