Stretching before exercise weakens muscles...?

Nacnud

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Perhaps so, but i reckon you'd have some pretty bad cramps and pains as well. Probably the reason why in school we are told to 'warm up' in P.E is so that the wimps won't go to the school nurse. I just get so annoyed when people (mainly girls) just go to the nurse because "oh i felt ill" "oh i have a sore throat" or "oh umm mhmgmams(incomprehensible mumbling" *text deleted*.

matty630

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i dont think it does, theres less blood pumped into them before a warm up, and i find you dont perform as well.

C

critchmufc

Perhaps so, but i reckon you'd have some pretty bad cramps and pains as well. Probably the reason why in school we are told to 'warm up' in P.E is so that the wimps won't go to the school nurse. I just get so annoyed when people (mainly girls) just go to the nurse because "oh i felt ill" "oh i have a sore throat" or "oh umm mhmgmams(incomprehensible mumbling" *text deleted*.

personaly i did this to get off school

cutler05

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Stretching before exercise does weaken muscle strength. But only if your lifting your 1 rep map etc because u loose the elasticity of the muscle. However, alwyas stretch before a run or bodyweight exercise etc. just make sure u have a light warm up first 2 get the blood flowing!

PaddyTheManc

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Most of what you do for the rm will be cardio based so you *text deleted* stretch or cramp will set in earlier on those long runs.

JimB

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
That article wasn't very long *text deleted*.

And i suppose i'ts better to stretch than it is to injure yourself and leave yourself unable to build muscle until you're better.

Megalomaniac

Reaction score
Stretching before exercise weakens muscles ..... what a load of cr@p. Although it has been proved that static stretching is not as good as dynamic stretching for warming up. (Do not confuse dynamic stretching with ballistic) If you do not stretch before you warm up it may be very easy to pull/tear/damage you muscles.

New Threads