Stretching my way into Hypermobility

Corona

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all, in the course of the last year in an attempt to rid myself of shin splints, I've stretched my lower body thoroughly every single (with the exclusion of 10 days tops)day and my shoulders in an attempt to get rid of a shoulder injury. I've also conducted strengthening exercises to help prevent/cure these injuries but unfortunately to no avail.

I was unsure if I have been stretching too much? As a physio I saw last week said I was borderline hypermobile due to being so 'stretchy' (not her exact words). However, around December time last year a physio I saw conducted the Beighton test and I scored 2, resulting in a negative test. Is it possible I have stretched too much over the last year in an attempt to get rid of these problems? The stretching/detailed info I've put into a PDF: (see attached).

I should add that the physio I saw last week said I have knots under my shin bones the size of tennis balls and has started sticking needles in my legs. I foam rolled virtually every day the past year also for between 10 - 30 minutes a day as I thought it would help prevent large knots from forming.

Thanks again everyone for the continued help, its greatly appreciated :)

Attachments

Last edited:

JWR94

Reaction score
Totally amateur opinion, but I would say probably not. My brother is hyper-mobile and I don't think a normal person could ever gain that much mobility. His joints are just 'looser' as he can bend his elbows and knees beyond straight, and he can put both palms flat on the floor from a standing straight legged position. I think its more of a joint factor than a muscle flexibility factor. I'd like to see what peoples view on it is though, as I also do a fair bit of stretching/foam rolling.

Corona

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Totally amateur opinion, but I would say probably not. My brother is hyper-mobile and I don't think a normal person could ever gain that much mobility. His joints are just 'looser' as he can bend his elbows and knees beyond straight, and he can put both palms flat on the floor from a standing straight legged position. I think its more of a joint factor than a muscle flexibility factor. I'd like to see what peoples view on it is though, as I also do a fair bit of stretching/foam rolling.
With regards to the hands on the floor, i didn't realise this was a bad thing and when the other physio tested whether or not I could do that, I thought it would be best to make it a goal, so now I can put my hands on the floor purely because I stretched my hamstrings so much. I'll definitely bring it up but thanks for the input and reassurance

Saracen1

Reaction score
Okay, thats something they look for on the Beighton test, which I've read on the forums is part of the F2F medical. Others will have more info though, as I'm not at that stage yet. Link below covers the Brighton tests involved.
That is what I thought, and had that been the case it would have saved my son a lot of disappointment in August.

Due to time lag he had two F2F medicals, I was present at the first as he was 17, no Beighton test at either.

Started ROP and developed shin splints.

The CTC physio carried out a Beighton Test of which my lad scored 9/9.

MD’d because of the shin splints but note on his file saying unfit for military service.

Had the Beighton test been done at the first medical and his hypermobility picked up, it would have saved two and a half years of hard work to get ready for CTC only to be kicked out after two weeks.

Corona

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, thats something they look for on the Beighton test, which I've read on the forums is part of the F2F medical. Others will have more info though, as I'm not at that stage yet. Link below covers the Brighton tests involved.
Thanks for the link, praying I don't have it. The physio that originally tested for it said i scored 2/9 while the recent one 4-5/9.
That is what I thought, and had that been the case it would have saved my son a lot of disappointment in August.

Due to time lag he had two F2F medicals, I was present at the first as he was 17, no Beighton test at either.

Started ROP and developed shin splints.

The CTC physio carried out a Beighton Test of which my lad scored 9/9.

MD’d because of the shin splints but note on his file saying unfit for military service.

Had the Beighton test been done at the first medical and his hypermobility picked up, it would have saved two and a half years of hard work to get ready for CTC only to be kicked out after two weeks.
Very sorry to hear about your sons terrible luck, does he think he will appeal?

Saracen1

Reaction score
Thanks for the link, praying I don't have it. The physio that originally tested for it said i scored 2/9 while the recent one 4-5/9.

Very sorry to hear about your sons terrible luck, does he think he will appeal?
The problem is that although he was officially MD’d for the shin splints, after a period of time to recover and get fit again etc. he can reapply on that basis.

However his CTC medical notes, when signed off, have the ‘unfit for military service’ on then.

Even with other ‘expert’ advice you will know that the chance of going from a 9/9 to something acceptable for the RM is unrealistic.

Also have to consider the chance of serious injury during training because of the condition.

Having been on this forum for a number of years I am also aware that although hypermobility is a bar to entry to the RN/RM sometimes medical standards can be interpreted in different ways throughout the forces.

To that end he applied via the rejoin team for the RN Accelerated Air Engineering Apprenticeship expecting a ‘no chance’ but they came back and said recover fully, get fit and we will look again”.

At the present time he is well along in the application process for the Police, fitness not a problem their bleep test target is 5.4, he was doing that at CTC with shin splints *text deleted*

Corona

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
The problem is that although he was officially MD’d for the shin splints, after a period of time to recover and get fit again etc. he can reapply on that basis.

However his CTC medical notes, when signed off, have the ‘unfit for military service’ on then.

Even with other ‘expert’ advice you will know that the chance of going from a 9/9 to something acceptable for the RM is unrealistic.

Also have to consider the chance of serious injury during training because of the condition.

Having been on this forum for a number of years I am also aware that although hypermobility is a bar to entry to the RN/RM sometimes medical standards can be interpreted in different ways throughout the forces.

To that end he applied via the rejoin team for the RN Accelerated Air Engineering Apprenticeship expecting a ‘no chance’ but they came back and said recover fully, get fit and we will look again”.

At the present time he is well along in the application process for the Police, fitness not a problem their bleep test target is 5.4, he was doing that at CTC with shin splints *text deleted*
Thanks hugely for the response and massive respect to your son for not letting it get in his way, wish him all the best with the police

Rheebound01

Reaction score
@Corona I had the same hypermobility concerns as you not too long ago. Mind me asking what joints of yours come up on the beighton test?

If knees, Id HIGHLY reccomend strengthening your knees through squats. I would do hundreds of these and although my knees werent really hypermobile, they definitely became more rigid and strong.

Corona

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
@Corona I had the same hypermobility concerns as you not too long ago. Mind me asking what joints of yours come up on the beighton test?

If knees, Id HIGHLY reccomend strengthening your knees through squats. I would do hundreds of these and although my knees werent really hypermobile, they definitely became more rigid and strong.
She didn't actually give me very much info at the time, have emailed her which joints were flagged up. Thanks for the advice, luckily I've been doing a lot of weighted knee physio due to them being very weak originally, but I'll start adding more squats in asap.

If just doing say sets of 50-150 bodyweight squats throughout the day, do you think it would be necessary to warm up, cool down and stretch afterwards?

Rheebound01

Reaction score
@Corona I would literally just do squats randomly *text deleted* in sets of 20-30-40 all a bit random. If it is your knees being hypermobile, some squats and knee stretches should help in fixing the problem IF they aren't overly hypermobile.

I have hypermobile elbows myself but theres no fixing that. Knees however you could lessen the hypermobility.

Corona

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
@Corona I would literally just do squats randomly *text deleted* in sets of 20-30-40 all a bit random. If it is your knees being hypermobile, some squats and knee stretches should help in fixing the problem IF they aren't overly hypermobile.

I have hypermobile elbows myself but theres no fixing that. Knees however you could lessen the hypermobility.
Thanks, have added squats to the circuits and am doing them inbetween tasks now. If I go too far down I do get a very crunchy noise (as in very low down) which is a bit peculiar but hopefully these squats will do the trick!