Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Struggling please help

Discussion in 'Training Plans and Diet Suggestions' started by bluenose1664, Apr 16, 2019.

1. bluenose1664

bluenose1664 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    alright lads whenever I go for a run if it’s 9:30/9:00 min/mile I’m fine I can run for miles with ease, however whenever I up the pace and try do a fast 3 miles or a fast mile or 1.5 say 8:00 min/mile or less I can’t maintain it for longer than 0.6 of a mile or so. Just wondering if anyone can help, I’m 14 stone and on my way down, lost a stone and a half already cut out most of the junk food and quit smoking in January. Previous to starting the gym and running this year I led an extremely unhealthy lifestyle so just wondering if anyone can help me build that high intensity fitness levels up! Cheers

2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

May I ask what your height is? The weight/height ratio (BMI) will give you a very, very rough notion of what is considered to be the 'optimum' metric for a particular build.
    Putting it bluntly, no matter how 'muscled' someone is they will struggle with running performance if they are significantly over a median BMI.

But there are others here far better qualified than I am to give advice about phys stuff. Hopefully you'll get some more suggestions.

3. bluenose1664

bluenose1664 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet

6ft 1. It’s all fat not muscle haha

4. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

To be honest it doesn't matter. Excess fat or muscle won't help anyone run faster and for longer. Nor will it help anyone climb a rope. :)
    As excess weight falls away your running performance will improve.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Atlas10

Atlas10 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    for me, my time is improving by doing speed work not distance running.

The longer distances i only run to let my legs get used to it so i know i can do the distance when the time comes. Hill Sprints and Interval sprints are what really puts my run time down and gets me fitter. They absolutely suck of course but its them that make the noticeable differences not the longer runs.

• Like Like x 1
  6. dodgyknees

dodgyknees Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    You're going to plateau every now and again when you train. The key thing is not to let it get to you. I would agree with @Atlas10, intervals and hill sprints will help build your speed but there is no magic bullet. Keep putting in the miles and you will get there.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Woods115

Woods115 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I couldn't run 400m without stopping when i first started 2 years ago mate, it's never happening overnight but just reminding yourself each time you're getting better. Do you have a training partner? running with others makes a big difference for me

• Like Like x 1
  8. bluenose1664

bluenose1664 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks for the reply. No I don’t mate, moved 140 miles from my hometown and don’t know anybody *text deleted*

9. bluenose1664

bluenose1664 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks for all your replies, intervals and hill sprints it is!

10. Woods115

Woods115 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    you could maybe look into any local gym's that have classes doing circuit training? I mean training on your own is still good i just find sometimes i try harder when i have people there.

11. LRL

LRL Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    If you struggle to run 8mm for 0.6 of a mile I would suggest keep running at that pace but push yourself and aim for 0.1 of a mile each week, do it in sets. 8mm pace is what you need to run at ideally for the first half of the PJFT so focus on getting used to that pace and before you know it running at that pace will feel easy. It takes time just stay persistent and always consistent, never miss a session!

• Like Like x 1
  12. JTech

JTech Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    If your struggling to run .6 at that pace then slow yourself down. It’s important to build a solid CV base before moving on to speed work. Run slower and longer for now. Also be careful not to injure yourself by doing to much running at once, get swimming/cycling to improve your CV when you can.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  13. bluenose1664

bluenose1664 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I’m already running up to 8 miles at a slower pace mate just looking to improve the high intensity side of things

14. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

Start off at 9 minute mile for your warm up say a mile then try 8.30 for a mile then go down to 8. Its easier

15. HelmundOfWest

HelmundOfWest New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Waddiyatalkinabeet?