Struggling to crack BFT return run time

DBMARINE

Reaction score
Alright guys,

So basically as the title suggests, I'm currently struggling with the BFT.
the first run doesn't bother me as much as we all know it's squadded and the pace is set by the PTI. However, I typically go out in the morning and complete a mock BFT, the first run is fine but on the return run I'm currently getting a time of 12:07 (accurate to this morning) and it's needless to say - that is a pathetic time to get on the return run, especially considering I'm supposed to be getting sub 10 minutes, some lads even get sub 9 minutes.

I've always considered myself a decent runner, I can run for days on a treadmill, It's just when I hit the road It seems harder, granted there are obviously differences between road & treadmill but at the end of the day, you're still running?

Am I doing something wrong? am I missing something? It's probably mostly mental but I would appreciate anyone's tips or methods they might have used to crack a good time on the BFT

Cheers

Hyperhippo

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Try doing your mock BFT in the afternoon/evening and see if that makes a difference.

Apart from that dude it’s just practice practice and more practice, what does your training schedule look like?

pboro1997

Reaction score
Hi mate, I've got my PJFT next Tuesday and I'm sh*text deleted*ting it as well. Best thing that's helped me at the moment is taking each section of the 1.5 miles at a time. Download the UnderArmour MapMyRun app, start the BFT return run and get the audio to update you on time,distance and pace every 0.5 miles. Aslong as the pace is good for the first 0.5 miles it really is just a case of holding on and fighting your mind, its not how hard you can hit, it's how hard you can get hit.

2 months ago I had a return time of over 12 minutes, yesterday I managed 8mins22secs, trust yourself that you'll get better.

All the best mate.

Imperator13

Reaction score
What struggles more? Your lungs or legs?

What other runs do you do?

Everyone struggles at something so don’t let it bother you, keep taking note of the time Keep digging out and seeing the improvements, they will come. It will just click eventually and your body will respond better to it.

Reaction score
I was watching previous Olympic running videos prior to my PJFT a while ago because I was feeling like I was missing something as they managed to run so fast so consistently. I realised that it wasn't how fast you move your legs that make you run faster, but it's actually the length of the strides that make you run faster (obviously your cardio and actually muscular endurance of your legs). Give it a go and let us know how it's going! Helped me dramatically with my progress

westy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Try jumping on @arny01’s programme mate, you’ll definitely see results on that and be better placed for PRMC

DBMARINE

Reaction score
Thanks, guys; really appreciate the advice!

I'm currently training on Arny's programme lads, only 2 days into it but that's what I'm using at the moment. I've still got my PJFT to go but I'm less worried about that as like I said; I can run better on a treadmill, but I'm still practicing both the PJFT & BFT of course.
I just have to keep chipping away at it and eventually I'll get the times like you guys suggested.

Cheers

DBMARINE

Reaction score
What struggles more? Your lungs or legs?

What other runs do you do?

Everyone struggles at something so don’t let it bother you, keep taking note of the time Keep digging out and seeing the improvements, they will come. It will just click eventually and your body will respond better to it.

Also, It's definitely my lungs that struggle more.

I'm on Arny's programme so I do 3 long runs a week (2x 8 miler & 1x 5 mile)

KenDoll

Reaction score
I was watching previous Olympic running videos prior to my PJFT a while ago because I was feeling like I was missing something as they managed to run so fast so consistently. I realised that it wasn't how fast you move your legs that make you run faster, but it's actually the length of the strides that make you run faster (obviously your cardio and actually muscular endurance of your legs). Give it a go and let us know how it's going! Helped me dramatically with my progress

Strongly agree

Bigger strides, less steps taken, generally fatigue less. Although can create harder impact on joints depending on running style (in my opinion)

Squatmonkey

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Also, It's definitely my lungs that struggle more.

I'm on Arny's programme so I do 3 long runs a week (2x 8 miler & 1x 5 mile)

Concentrate on the shorter faster runs, my legs are fine but I struggle with the breathing like yourself.

I started doing longer runs only for a bit but found my phys actually getting worse rather than when I was just doing 4-5 miles all out fast as possible or as fartlek

DBMARINE

Reaction score
Concentrate on the shorter faster runs, my legs are fine but I struggle with the breathing like yourself.

I started doing longer runs only for a bit but found my phys actually getting worse rather than when I was just doing 4-5 miles all out fast as possible or as fartlek

Okay, noted mate. I'm *text deleted* try taking bigger strides and doing shorter faster runs like you've suggested.

Imperator13

Reaction score
Best exercise for VO2 max is rowing. If you have access to a tower use it. A lot. 500m repeats. 10x500m repeats with a 1 Minute rest in between will not only thrash your whole body but your lungs will get stronger making you be able to breath better whilst running fast.

I used to row twice a weeek when I had access to one, fittest I’ve ever been. Got my bleep test score from low 10’s to higher 12’s and my bft return down by 20 or seconds and I was already sub 9:30

Gray59

Reaction score
Best exercise for VO2 max is rowing. If you have access to a tower use it. A lot. 500m repeats. 10x500m repeats with a 1 Minute rest in between will not only thrash your whole body but your lungs will get stronger making you be able to breath better whilst running fast.

I used to row twice a weeek when I had access to one, fittest I’ve ever been. Got my bleep test score from low 10’s to higher 12’s and my bft return down by 20 or seconds and I was already sub 9:30

This is some extremely useful advice. I've been using a very similar strategy in training for PJFT. I'll do my warm up 12:30 on the treadmill then row 500m sets until I'm knackered. At the end of the session I'll have another go doing the 1.5 mile on the treadmill and my time will be terrible - but keep doing this without giving up and your lung capacity / endurance WILL increase over a few weeks. I'd go so far as to say that I take pleasure in the searing chest pain as I know that is what causes improvement.
Arny's plan is amazing and designed perfectly for PRMC so keep following that while adding in some of your own challenges on non-rest days. Really important that you rest fully twice a week. Use swims for recovery as well.

I'm no expert as I'm also still trying to crack a good BFT time, but I thought I'd just share that which has helped me personally
Best of luck

Gray59

Reaction score
Also make sure to actually practice the VO2 max bleep test in a 20m gym/ sports hall. You should be able to find a generic one on youtube.

DBMARINE

Reaction score
Okay lads, cheers for the tips, definitely going to incorporate the rowing machine into my workouts at the gym a lot more (I was using it sporadically until now) I also use the lat machine to enhance my pull-ups

New Threads