Struggling with motivation and change of service

future-commando

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all, many of you know me as an aspiring royal marine with alot of enthusiasm and someone who improved alot over the last year. Unfortunately a month ago, I took my vpjft and failed. After being told an incorrect time and waiting for an hour for the Sgt to come on the call and being given instruction to perform burpees in the wrong form, I was in a dispute which my CA backed me on as I had not practiced burpees to the standard the Sgt requested I do, turns out he asked me to do them incorrectly in the first place. Long story short I got very frustrated and quit. After long and hard thought about it, I decided I wasn't ready for the royal marines, I've had constant trouble throughout my application with medical standards and fitness up and down I decided enough was enough. I've opted to join the raf and I'm already on 2nd to last stage of my application. I currently have a medical in 2 weeks and I'm confident I will pass. Issue is I have my fitness test potentially 6 weeks after medical and I've lost all motivation to train. I've just moved into a flat with the Mrs and its been a stressful 2 weeks. I've started smoking again and I'm trying to give it up and I haven't trainined since 23rd November. Has anybody got any tips that can help me ease into training again. I know as soon as I train I'll be back on the band wagon. I was really fit 2 weeks ago but I struggling to get out of bed in the mornings at the moment. I think it's mixed emotions. I'm obviously gutted about my rm application but I am geared up for the raf. I think I just need some of you fellas advice to perk me up abit!

*text deleted*if anyone was wondering why I'm staying on this forum, the egoat (raf forum) is rubbish and the support I've had on here is surreal.

byprep

Reaction score
You’ve actually been through a lot by the sound of it. It is takes courage to join any of the services, so hats off to you. Also moving house when we’re not in lockdown is massively stressful, so forgive yourself for the low mood and the odd ciggie. Bottom line is you obviously have a desire to serve so keep going.

WHATAMELT

Reaction score
Hi all, many of you know me as an aspiring royal marine with alot of enthusiasm and someone who improved alot over the last year. Unfortunately a month ago, I took my vpjft and failed. After being told an incorrect time and waiting for an hour for the Sgt to come on the call and being given instruction to perform burpees in the wrong form, I was in a dispute which my CA backed me on as I had not practiced burpees to the standard the Sgt requested I do, turns out he asked me to do them incorrectly in the first place. Long story short I got very frustrated and quit. After long and hard thought about it, I decided I wasn't ready for the royal marines, I've had constant trouble throughout my application with medical standards and fitness up and down I decided enough was enough. I've opted to join the raf and I'm already on 2nd to last stage of my application. I currently have a medical in 2 weeks and I'm confident I will pass. Issue is I have my fitness test potentially 6 weeks after medical and I've lost all motivation to train. I've just moved into a flat with the Mrs and its been a stressful 2 weeks. I've started smoking again and I'm trying to give it up and I haven't trainined since 23rd November. Has anybody got any tips that can help me ease into training again. I know as soon as I train I'll be back on the band wagon. I was really fit 2 weeks ago but I struggling to get out of bed in the mornings at the moment. I think it's mixed emotions. I'm obviously gutted about my rm application but I am geared up for the raf. I think I just need some of you fellas advice to perk me up abit!

*text deleted*if anyone was wondering why I'm staying on this forum, the egoat (raf forum) is rubbish and the support I've had on here is surreal.

Everybody has periods where they don't feel motivated. Set yourself a routine and be as regimented with it as possible. Try not to get yourself down, remember, cheerfulness in the face of adversity.
Ultimately, it's up to you to pull your finger out and get on with it. If you want it badly enough, you will do it.

Good luck!

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Dont let a bad experience put you off what could be a lengthy career in the Corps.

Make sure you join the right branch for the right reasons.

Also, only you can motivate yourself. Think hard about why you want to do the job and where it could take you. Hopefully that will be enough for you.

Chelonian

Reaction score
I've started smoking again and I'm trying to give it up and I haven't trainined since 23rd November. Has anybody got any tips that can help me ease into training again.
Here's two tips:
1. Quit smoking.
2. Start training again. Two weeks off is nothing. You'll soon get back into the swing of it.

As alluded to by @Rob20 don't see yourself off just because of a bad experience. Have a good, hard think about what you want and pursue it.
Best of luck. Let us know how you get on.

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
@CallMeLucifer - and indeed any applicant that is unsure just ask your CA to send you the email with the official links in for VPJFT this has links to the RM videos so you know they will be correct.

Duality

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
It might be worth going back through your previous posts. Not as a way of kicking yourself or seeing what's slipped but as a way of seeing where you started before, what motivated you through that and where you got to. As said, 2 weeks not training isn't the end of the world - you had a lifetime of that before you decided to join. Hopefully you can find something - even just a start and you'll get back on track.

future-commando

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for their support. My final decision is to join the raf at least at this point in my life. Its still going to challenge me going from civvi to military, yes its not the marines but I'll still be proud to serve and will jump at every opportunity I get. If I'm still not satisfied and not getting the kick then I will transfer to RM after my return of service. I'm so close to joining the RAF now and I'm feeling very confident about it. I impressed the CA in interview with my answers and general persona and I did well in my AST. I think had I not trained to the level of a potential nod for RM I probably wouldn't be as confident for RAF. I think I just need to pick myself up out this negative mindset and move forward with better energy. I've just let all my negative outcomes get on top of me. Just hearing all the support has already perked me up abit. I trained through hitt sessions today which has made me abit more positive. Just got to scrap the fags and I should be back on track. I really appreciate everyone's advice.

future-commando

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
You’ve actually been through a lot by the sound of it. It is takes courage to join any of the services, so hats off to you. Also moving house when we’re not in lockdown is massively stressful, so forgive yourself for the low mood and the odd ciggie. Bottom line is you obviously have a desire to serve so keep going.
Really appreciate that mate

Rob20

Staff member
Reaction score
What job role you going for in RAF out of interest?

Rob20

Staff member
Reaction score
I was dreading that question popping up.... I'll await the abuse *text deleted*... Rock ape!

No judgement here at all. And what is it you want to get out of a career in the military? What are you looking forward to doing? Anywhere in particular you'd like to go or courses you'd like to do?

future-commando

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
No judgement here at all. And what is it you want to get out of a career in the military? What are you looking forward to doing? Anywhere in particular you'd like to go or courses you'd like to do?

In my most honest opinion on the regiment... I personally feel as tho it gets a bad name due to a few muppets who compare themselves to that of the corps or paras. However, I've heard that the rocks have alot of good lads and they are a good route to go down on terms of high standards and career opportunities. Their fitness entry requirements are tougher than an infantry solider in the British army. They also have 30 weeks training split between Halton and Honington which is definitely a decent training length. My personal career aspirations in the regiment would be to join 2 squadron raf regiment (paras) getting my wings is somthing I'm passionate about. I think personally I would like to go down the JTAC route as that sounds pretty interesting. Obviously I can always do sniper selection and things like that. I don't know much about it or how Likley I am to get a crack at it but SFSG is something I'd definitely look into dependent on how my career is progressing.

future-commando

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
And in terms of seeing places, I'd like to go on ops everywhere possible. I like seeing different cultures and different ways of life. Yes some of it will be pretty rough and places like Syria, Iraq, Iran although they aren't the friendliest of places I want to see them and I want to help the locals that need help to give them a better way of life. I'm not joining to serve just my country but to serve theirs as well.

Rob20

Staff member
Reaction score
The reason I ask questions isn't to judge or patronise. Purely to help provoke thought which I find often helps me find the right answers.

It seems like you're quite keen to get your hands dirty and want to get heavily involved in front line soldiering. My only advice would be to consider which branch is most likely to tick those boxes. Fair one, there arent large scale conflicts like Iraq/Afghan going on but rest assured there are lads on Ops in the Corps. Just have to be right place, right time. And also bear in mind the huge investment we've had from defence will be expected to produce a return on investment at some stage in the not so distant future I personally believe.

Just ensure you think long and hard and make the right decision for you. You dont want to go through training again having regretted you're original choice. But either way best of luck.

future-commando

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
The reason I ask questions isn't to judge or patronise. Purely to help provoke thought which I find often helps me find the right answers.

It seems like you're quite keen to get your hands dirty and want to get heavily involved in front line soldiering. My only advice would be to consider which branch is most likely to tick those boxes. Fair one, there arent large scale conflicts like Iraq/Afghan going on but rest assured there are lads on Ops in the Corps. Just have to be right place, right time. And also bear in mind the huge investment we've had from defence will be expected to produce a return on investment at some stage in the not so distant future I personally believe.

Just ensure you think long and hard and make the right decision for you. You dont want to go through training again having regretted you're original choice. But either way best of luck.

My personal view is, if I can do a few years in the raf find out whether I like it and if its not satisfactory enough for me then I'll transfer to the corps. I think with everything going on and my ups and downs at the moment I think the regiment at the very least will give me some quality military skills that I could carry over to the corps if the time came about and not only that but my fitness levels will be pretty ace meaning training for the corps should come with alot more ease than my current status. Yes Im abit disappointed in myself for not persuing the marines however JTAC and 2 sqn personally are 2 things I'm looking forward to cracking, if I'm not getting the edge after that then the corps it is! I've got 10 years to change my mind so I'm going for RAF for now. I think Pgsc will give me a good insight into the regiment and that's when I'll make my final decision. I honestly appreciate the advice though and totally agree with what your saying.