1. tam100k

tam100k Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Basically got my letter to repay my student loan back today . I can fill in the unemployed part .however I start training in 7 days . Would i be able to take the letter down and fill in the employed part at lymstone? Because i need a PAYE reference number and branch number

2. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

I am no expert but as far as I am aware, you don't start paying your student loan back until you earn over a certain amount. If you are unemployed I don't think you are required to pay. Don't give out any bank details until you are positive it's legit. They should already have your details though.
    First thing I would do is phone up your loan provider to ensure this letter is legit. Try and get the contact details from a different bit of correspondence.

I would imagine once your in training and earning over the amount you would start paying. So take the letter with you.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  3. TheKernowKid

TheKernowKid Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    You don't have to pay back anything till you earn over 21k a year. And in my opinion, at the time of you filling out the paperwork you are unemployed, the navy aren't paying you yet.

They can get the information from HMRC anyways, I had the same letter, ignored it, started part time at Tesco, then got a letter a few weeks later saying that they had received my job information from HMRC.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Chelonian

Chelonian Well-Known Member

Just to echo the comments above: research, take advice and proceed with caution. Consider contacting Student Loans Company and asking it to reiterate and to confirm your liability:

https://www.slc.co.uk/

Anecdotally, companies operating of behalf of the Student Loans Company are increasingly proactive about monitoring the financial status of clients. It's no longer easy to simply vanish off the radar for the thirty year life of the loan.

But—once again anecdotally—people are getting letters which are ambiguous and sometimes scarily formal which imply that one has to start paying the loan back regardless of circumstances.

Best of luck. Obviously everyone's circumstances are different but please consider letting us know how you get on as many others may get similar letters.

• Like Like x 1
  5. tam100k

tam100k Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Thanks for all the advice lads .