submerged tunnels

pepper86

Reaction score
hey guys i know this maybe a silly question so sorry if thats the case. but just wondering about the under water tunnels - for those that have done them what are they like and just how much space do you have in them??

i know some will say you just get on with them without too much thought and quite rightly so.

but just wondered if anyone could shed some light on them as i cant seem to find any information on what there like to do.

again sorry if this is a silly one :)

Harvs

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hey mate, you have enough space to pull yourself through in. There's one tunnel that's a slight squeeze, but it's not too small. They smell like urine if that makes it any better?

North88

Reaction score
Well the sheep dip is over before you know its even started, you don't need to worry about space with that one because there no effort required if your the one going through it, The only other ones which could be considered submerged would be the smarty tubes and they are quite special. They are basically a pitch black belly crawl for about 30 feet with various turns and rocks in the way for you to snag yourself on and bang your head. All in all though they are a very good laugh. You've got some fun ahead mate, look forward to it.

WelshLad91

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Sheep dip looks worse than it is. Like someone said its over before you know it. Just duck your head under and let 1 guy push you through and the other pull you out! done. The smartie tubes are pretty small but once your inside there not to bad!

Blorange

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
youtube sheep dip, the guys are in and out in the blink of an eye, looks good fun, but i think the point of it is to get you soaked and cold :)

WelshLad91

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Aye its in and out! The worst part was jogging on the spot thinking about it! I was so hyped up before it then when i actually did it i just started laughing. ( then got *text deleted**text deleted**text deleted** for smiling )

pepper86

Reaction score
smells like urine nice cant wait ha ha

cheers guys thats what i thought. cant wait to do it though cheers for the heads up :)

calger14

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
My friend who came on the Commando Challenge with me was worried because he is very claustrophobic but said that even though the tunnels are cramped, that he was fine with it. Don't worry about it :)

RMC WATKINS

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I used to crawl through water filled tunnels for fun, a couple years ago. No problem for me.

Red Bull

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I remember watching a program years ago which I always thought was marines but it can't be. They were showing recruits practicing drills storming houses in woods and clearing rooms. Then I also remember there being a section where they had to swim under water and through a fully submerged pipe and up the other end.

I always thought you had to do this so I got practicing doing full lengths under water in my local pool. Although obviously I must be remembering this wrong - or it wasn't the marines, I'm not sure?

Anyone know what I was watching haha?

Anyway. You could practice doing that. Full lengths under water really helped my confidence when it comes to thinking of things like sheep dip. Plus it's good for the lungs.

Jonno995

Reaction score
The worst thing by far about those tunnels are what is lurking under the water, I had a massive gash on my arm from crawling across something sharp in the half water filled smartie tubes, the PTI says that sometimes idiots break glass bottles in there just to injure recruits - hence why its often locked up.

Not nice to have a cut in that water too, minging infection in it for about a month afterwards!

Red Bull

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
The worst thing by far about those tunnels are what is lurking under the water, I had a massive gash on my arm from crawling across something sharp in the half water filled smartie tubes, the PTI says that sometimes idiots break glass bottles in there just to injure recruits - hence why its often locked up.

Not nice to have a cut in that water too, minging infection in it for about a month afterwards!

Builds your immune system.:laugh:

Ren_Dundle10101

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
My fellow PRMC-ers and I were told in our PRMC briefing to not "kick out as you go under, the person behind you is there to push you through. Rest assured, if you try and boot their pinkies, they will let go and you can drag yourself through"