Success . . . or at least the start.

iBeef

Reaction score
Hi guys, fairly new to the forum. I just wanted to share some god news as I'm ecstatic. For any of those who read my first post they will see i have suffered from shin splints recently (never have before :worried:). Anyway i rested them for a week and have been doing small 2 mile runs for 2 weeks twice a week at a 8:30 pace just to get back into running.

At first i had a dull ache but the pain had gone before, during and after my runs. I've been doing toe raises and stretching my calves a lot and before bed i have been doing toe raises with resistance (in the form of a scarf *text deleted**) I've also been icing my shins straight after running too. Today however i had no pain whatsoever, no ache or anything i ran and it was comfortable and it felt good. Obviously I'm not going to start cracking 1.5 mile best effort runs out yet. I plan to start increasing the distance gradually and eventually then pace to break my legs in fully and condition them.

I am so glad I didn't let shin splints beat me and give up. I may have a long way to go before im running a mile and a half in sub 10 minutes but its a major step forward from running pain.

cheers for reading lads.

Red Bull

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Well done mate. Keep up with toe raises !! Makes a big difference.

iBeef

Reaction score
Cheers mate, and yeah they make such a difference. I can't wait to get back into full swing. I'm one of those people who really enjoy running so for me this it was especially gutting :/

TheGeek

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Good stuff mate, I also found stretching.my shins by puttin them under my body like im kneeling and sitting back on my feet stretched my shins out well, if you're still getting a dull ache give it a go, can't do any harm, but glad to hear you're back on track.

Geek

iBeef

Reaction score
yeah i've been doing that a bit gives a nice stretch, also found a youtube vid posted on here involving calf raises while tilting your feet outwards which is meant to strengthen them muscles up. Hopefully taking it slow will get them in shape, its just annoying because I've never suffered these before and its so annoying.

iBeef

Reaction score
Just a quick update. Shins have felt ok all week so I decided to go for a 3 mile run tonight, nothing spectacular, I ended up doing it in 24 minutes and 30 seconds, not that i was after doing it fast but a 8min/mile pace was about right. I had no pain thank god and I've used ibuprofen gel and iced my shins after and gave a lot of deep massage. My right shin as last time feels completely fine and "cured". My left one is around the same, no pain but a dull ache and the muscle on the inside of my shin feels tight. Not the greatest outcome but however not the worst as the pain ins't there, hopefully with continued strengthening exercises it will disperse so I'm going to stick to a 2 mile run on a monday and start doing a 3 miler on a friday until it is better. Any pointers guys?

On a majorly positive note I'm down to 13 stone 5 from 15 stone 7 in jan and I practise my 2 min max's on a wednesday and i smashed the press ups powering out 64 which to say in January i couldn't do 25 in one go has made me chuffed to bits. Sit ups are going up to as i got 63 but they get better and better every week.