Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Success stories

Discussion in 'Common Training Injuries' started by Baron, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Baron

Baron Active Member

Physiotherapy day 16

Ankle wasn't stiff at all this morning. It's probably because the last few days have been focused more on mobility than strengthening; although it feels stronger too. I went a little over-board yesterday and did some calf raises with body weight, but it doesn't feel like it today.

I'm going to continue with this plan all the way through next week, and then take it up a notch with more body weight stuff the few weeks after.

Very happy with progress, and can't wait to get my new insoles.

2. Baron

Baron Active Member

Physiotherapy day 17

No stiffness, very little discomfort and flexibility improved again.

Also, managed 10 calf raises this morning!

Insoles come a week on Tuesday/Wednesday; so I will break them in that week, throw in more calf raises, see how it responds, then all going well, will try and get out for a light 10 minute jog. I feel like I could maybe go out on that jog now, but don't want to push it too hard.

At this rate, I'm looking to be back running properly at the start of May. A few months of a set mileage to aim for, but at a pace that doesn't sacrifice my technique, then crack on with some speed/HIT running.

Things are looking positive. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Baron

Baron Active Member

Physiotherapy day 18

Again, very little stiffness, and the swelling around my anterior tibial tendon has almost gone. It's still slightly puffy, but it's reduced drastically.

Calf is a little tight from yesterday's calf raises (ended up doing 4 sets spread out throughout the day), but I will do a little stretching today, and no more calf raises. I may do them every other day though, just to get the calf working again.

Insoles should hopefully arrive a week tomorrow, then it's a case of the podiatrist fitting me in for an appointment to get them fit. However, I'm very optimistic that once I get them fit, it's a case of breaking them in for a week or two, then potentially cracking on with my 6 week 'return to running' plan. Similar one to the Runningworld.com plan, in which you jog for a certain amount of time, then walk, and repeat. I say this because the whole structure just feels stronger now. The calf is noticeably getting larger and stronger, and flexibility has increased massively. If the orthotics do their job and alleviate pressure on the tendons, then there's no reason I can't start jogging.

Yey for me, hehe. <3

All that glitters isn't gold.

4. Baron

Baron Active Member

Physiotherapy day 19

No ankle exercises for me today, but I'm going for an hour long walk up a hill with the misses. Bit nervous about how the ankle will react, but we'll see.

It's a lovely day, I'm soppy, and I'd promised her. So oh well, will just ice it up post-walk.

On another note. Last night I was forced to run 10-15 meters, and the ankle didn't feel weak! It put up with the run, with absolutely no pain! I really think I'll be running shortly after I get these new insoles.

5. Baron

Baron Active Member

Just got back from the walk. Did about 65-70 minutes. Ankle got a little stiff towards the end, but that's bound to happen, the trails aren't even, and it's getting knocked all over the show.

Once I have my insoles, I'm going to go for an hours walk up there every day I think. It's uphill, so works the calves nicely, and will help with proprioception.

6. Baron

Baron Active Member

Physiotherapy day 20

Little stiff today, but as stated, to be expected.

Imagine not using your chest properly for several years, and then smashing it in a big chest workout... it's going to hurt.

Little concerned that my anterior tibofibular ligament is a little sore, but that may have something to do with the overpronation which will hopefully be sorted with the insoles next week.

Lots of ice and stretching today, then shall continue with my exercises tomorrow. Did 3 sets of 15 calf raises yesterday! Happy with that, going to aim for 20 by the end of next week.

Range of motion has improved a little more, both in terms of inversion and dorsiflexion. I really think I'll be ready for starting my return to running once I've broken the insoles in,. Feeling strong :)

7. Baron

Baron Active Member

Physiotherapy day 21

3 weeks on, and I'm over the moon with the progress made.

- General walking has gone from a rather painful ordeal to relatively painless.
    - Mobility has improved dramatically.
    - I could originally do just 3-4 calf raises with good form - I did 20 this morning; nice, slow and controlled.
    - The arch has visibly increased - something the physio couldn't believe had happened so quickly.

There's still a little stiffness in certain places, but until I get my insoles and the biomechanics are corrected, that's unlikely to ease off. I researched the area affected this morning, and it seems to be a common problem with people in my position, and a course of ice, rest, stretching, calf strengthening and orthotics are recommended. Therefore if I keep on doing what I'm doing, I should be fine.

Can't help but get my hopes up, and get ahead of myself, so I'm already planning on my RM application.

8. Yossarian

Yossarian Royal Marines Commando

Are you still thinking YO, or OR?

9. VTomasi

VTomasi Member

Naaah, getting ahead of yourself was proposing to do 100km in June. :nunu:

10. Baron

Baron Active Member

Really don't know. We'll see.. If I go for YO, it's going to be a number of years because at the moment I'm simply not good enough.

HA! I shall see you in Salzburg, mid June my friend.

11. Baron

Baron Active Member

Physiotherapy day 30

Going ok, had a few bad days, but mainly good.

Returned back to Crossfit workouts, and except for one little sharp pain, it's putting up with it. Today it's felt dodgy though, so plenty of ice on it.

Pick my new insoles up on Thursday, so I'm looking forward to seeing how they feel and how my ankle reacts to them. Fingers crossed they support them enough to begin jogging in a couple of weeks.

12. Baron

Baron Active Member

Physiotherapy day i can't be bothered to work it out

Physio happy with my calf strength and flexibility. Said that I need to improve my calf just a little more, and it should take no longer than 1 or 2 weeks.

Pick up my new orthotics later today, and he said that I should wear them in for a couple of weeks, do lots of proprioception (balance) work, and start going out on 10-15 minute slow jogs for the first few.

13. VTomasi

VTomasi Member

Wooooooooooooo :rock:

14. Baron

Baron Active Member

Of course, he can't give a definitive answer, but that was his opinion.

Bloomin' hope I can get out sharpish though!

15. Baron

Baron Active Member

New insoles feel like there's a rock under each of my feet! It doesn't hurt, it's just slightly uncomfortable.

16. Baron

Baron Active Member

One thing I've noticed today is how stiff my calf is! Is this normal? Are the orthotics making my calf work harder?

Anyway, here's my new plan...

10 days (taking me to Monday 2nd April) - Working on calf strength and stretching, ankle flexibility, proprioception and generally wearing the insoles in

April - Get out 3 times a week for 30 minutes. Listen to my body and jog/walk when I see fit - Hopefully work up to a full 30 minute jog by the end of the month

May - Get out 3 times a week for 45 minutes - Again, listen to my body.

June - Get out 3 times a week for 60 minutes - Again, listen to my body.

After June, I'm hoping to return to training towards the military. Beforehand, I will at no point push myself, I'm just trying to get my ankles working properly again.

I see the Physio again in 4 weeks to see how my return to jogging has gone, and I see the Podiatrist in 6 weeks for another pair of insoles due to my eagerness to run long distances (and therefore need for another pair in case they break).

17. Utopia

Utopia Member

Good to hear of the progress and the attitude your taking towards you're training. To many 'work 'til you drop' attitudes around that while sound good, show determination and demonstrate commando spirit actually are pretty poor in term of intelligent training that achieves something.

Personally, I don't agree with insoles. I wore some for many years to iron out an imbalance and try to alleviate some of my flat-footedness, and suffered with them hugely.

From the sounds of it, yours are doing what they intended and strengthening the weaker areas of your legs. Mine however just shredded every muscle and tendon and ironically made the imbalances worse.

I hope your set plan works and I wish you every luck with it! Remember you training to fit, train to be a marine later.

18. Baron

Baron Active Member

I agree, I'm not a huge fan of insoles either; but in my case it seems that they were a necessity. Already the pain is subsiding on the inside of my ankle. Both the podiatrist and the physio said that the orthotics were simply a symptom reliever, and that I will have to do all the hard work to strengthen up the muscle for it to work correctly again.

19. VTomasi

VTomasi Member

In case they break? Eh? Are they solid?

Mine are made of dense foam and are therefore flexible.

20. Baron

Baron Active Member

Yep, rock hard. My other 'expensive' privately made ones broke on several occasions during long runs.