Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Success stories

Discussion in 'Common Training Injuries' started by Baron, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Baron

Baron Active Member

Went for a light 10 minute jog last night. Funnily, the right ankle was fine, it was the left insole that was hurting my foot! It may have been placed incorrectly, but it felt very hard on the arch.

Anyway, my technique felt terrible and my calves are nowhere near ready yet; all in all, I felt like a 60 year old woman who had just taken up jogging... but it's a start. The best thing for me though is that there is very little to no stiffness in it today.

So, I'm going to get out for 10 minutes every other morning starting on Monday for a 10 minute jog, concentrating on forefoot strikes, thus bringing my calf into it and developing that a little more. Hopefully I'll be ready for some decent distances within the month.

2. itslikethat

itslikethat Member

Hello Baron.

Glad things are looking on the up! Just wondering have you got a pair of VFF's yet ?

All the best, keep us updated !

3. Baron

Baron Active Member

No I haven't.

I realised with these insoles just how bad my archers are/were. Think it will be some time before I'm ready for a Vibram purchase.

4. hugo92

hugo92 Member

Baron my feet hurt a treat to start with from wearing insoles but now i cant even feel them, some days i think *text deleted* forgotten them and have to check because they are so comfortable now. I now have no shin problems and can run quite a long distance without any bother at all

5. jable1066

jable1066 New Member

Hows are your gammy appendages treating you these days? Been a while since you updated. Still Crossfitting?

6. VTomasi

VTomasi Member

Baron is now spending his days mopping up excrement and other bodily niceties as a health care assistant, hence his recent lack of input on this hallowed forum.

I'm sure he'll pipe up at some point.

7. Utopia

Utopia Member

Nope, I think Baron may have left the building...at least in spirit!

8. VTomasi

VTomasi Member

Ha, it's his first week in the hospital - mega hectic and they dropped him in the deep end from day 1.

9. Utopia

Utopia Member

Nothing like a job to interfere with your forum activities! :wondering:

10. JMC

JMC New Member

That's no excuse! PRMC forum should be followed closely, even when your boss is peering over your shoulder trying to catch you out *cough* :Wisper:

11. Baron

Baron Active Member

HEY GUYS.

As Vito said, been dropped in at the deep end at work, but it's all fun and games really. 8 hours work a day, 2 hours round-trip to work, 2-3 hours studying a day and 4-5 hours a week helping my brother start up his company hasn't really left me much time for other things, but I shall try and get on a little more (I'm sure you all miss me).

The ankle is getting better, although standing up for 8 hours at work is leaving me nice and sore at the end of the shift! Been struggling to train recently (Ankle, and now work), but been banging out some pull ups/press ups as and when I can. Next week I'm on early shifts all week (except Friday night, yey!) so shall be getting back into training in the evenings... I can't wait to do some Squats!

All I've eaten this week is porridge and jam, and potatoes and tuna. Putting it all down to my first week there, so shall be more organised next week.

How's everyone doing? Can't be as mad as mopping up excrement all day! haha.

12. jable1066

jable1066 New Member

That sounds so very grim. I can't imagine actually having a job like that and not being able to train or post on forums all day. My time will come though, sure enough.

Good to hear you ankle hasn't given up on you though! Use the time to de-load, no doubt you'd come back stronger for it. I on the other hand, am doing just fine. 7 more shifts of work left as a civilian. I'm just about ready to shave my head and become inhumanly attractive to the chickoritas! Nah, just kidding, I'm going to look like an absolute peanut.

13. Baron

Baron Active Member

Nice, getting nervous at all?

14. Baron

Baron Active Member

And yeah, not training sucks. But hopefully in 18 months or so I'll be back at Uni for 4 years, so lots of time to train no doubt!

15. jable1066

jable1066 New Member

Nervous, me?! I'm probably the most excited I've ever been in my life haha! Getting all my kit ordered and squared away is just making me even more excited like. I say kit... I mean polish and cleaning equipment... Just need my CA to get me some new boots as the ones I have are too big!! I think I'm a lot less nervous because I am going down with 3 lads from my area and we've got to know each other quite well through the app process, PRMC etc. It'll make the initial plunge a bit more bearable and less daunting I think.

It's just been so long in the making I can't believe it's finally here. Started my application in Feb 11... I remember reading Tobes post about going away to training the night before he left and I felt incredibly jealous. Just need to now keep assuring my lass that everything will be alright bless her haha.

You going for the medicine degree?

16. Baron

Baron Active Member

Ah that's great that you know a few lads already, like you said, it wont all be too alien to you that way. Good that you're not nervous! I'm the nervous type ha. If I'm not in control and knowing what to expect, I get nervous.

How long you been with the misses?

I am indeed; well, I'm going to try and get in. 6 hour entry exam in September to get over first, and then nailing the interview and getting selected. It's all very very competitive, with around 50 high calibre candidates per position. I think it may be a case of too little too late in terms of prep for the exam though, but will give it my best shot anyway. With some luck, I will hopefully pass it, pass my interview, and get started in Sept'13. It's going to be weird should I get in, as I will be around 28-29 before I have any kind of decent money in my pocket, but oh well. Friends will be going off on holidays together, and I'll be studying, but I'm aware of that and happy for it to happen.

17. jable1066

jable1066 New Member

Yeah, no doubt the nerves will kick in the night before. Tis the first time leaving home properly so it'll be weird. Weird but good! Been with my lass for just over 6 years like, so it'll be tough. She knows the score though, if she makes me choose then... Well, I've told her she owes me more than an ultimatum after all this time haha. She's happy for me though, happy at the prospect of having a Royal as a boyfriend when the time comes too. She's planning on finishing her uni course and then following me up wherever I'm posted so it works out OK - her last year she can concentrate on getting the most out her degree and do a bit of saving while I'm away training. I just keep tempting her with living on the West Coast and all the surfing she can learn to do.

That's a lot of studying on the medicine front like! A 6 hour exam is actually outrageous. Yeah, money will be tight but you'd be laughing in time on a docs wage. All the best with it though man! You decided against the RM application then or is that going to be dependant on your ankle?

18. Baron

Baron Active Member

Sorry Jable, I'll reply to you later, but I found out last night that I can request to do nights if I wish. Double pay and condensed hours (so only 3 nights a week); I think I'll definitely be doing that!

Better for my training I think, and definitely better for my studies.

19. will88

will88 Royal Marines Commando

Alright bud, going through training everyone picks up injuries you just have to keep trying. 2 weeks before my 2 week phase one course at ctc I fell down a rifle butt on exercise on a night nav and cut my knee open at the bottom. 7 stitches, an infection in my knee, swelling and 24 hours later I couldn't walk. Thought about wrapping but somehow pulled it out the bag on my course (hurt like *text deleted**text deleted**text deleted*y though) passing all fitness tests whilst sleeping in the medical bay each night. Anyway 2 weeks ago I passed out so I'm Glad I kept with it, green lid feels and looks hoofing on me!!

20. Baron

Baron Active Member

Hey guys.

Been a long time since I've talked about my ankle.

Basically, I've been following (religiously - sort of) an ankle mobility and strengthening routine for just over 3 weeks now. I've also been taking GLC2000. My ankle hasn't felt this good for some years. I'm not going to push it and begin running (just yet), but I don't think I'm a million miles away now. I'm not saying the military is still possible, it probably isn't, but the pain has reduced significantly, mobility has improved drastically, and I'm feeling stronger on it.

So much so, I got up and down Scafell Pike without too many dramas yesterday. And even better, I'm not stiff today! That was the biggie for me. It wasn't stiff, I couldn't believe it.

• Like Like x 1