Successful SIFT

Discussion in 'POC Section' started by Quantumblade, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Quantumblade

Quantumblade Member

App Stage:
    Awaiting selection after AIB pass
    Had a successful interview today for my SIFT - happy to answer any questions if anyone has them.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Chelonian

Chelonian Well-Known Member

Well done. Another step, etc.
    Are you aiming for the 2017 YO Batch?

3. Quantumblade

Quantumblade Member

App Stage:
    Thanks mate, and yes, I am. I originally applied last November hoping for 2016 batch but my medical took too long. 2017 is my final shot as I will be 25 in March.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  4. Chelonian

Chelonian Well-Known Member

Well that certainly focuses the mind. Best of luck.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ironandgrit

ironandgrit Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Congrats mate! What sort of questions were you asked in the interview? More of a personal angle or service?

6. Quantumblade

Quantumblade Member

App Stage:
    Thanks mate. I would say it was roughly 50/50 on the Service and on my personal character and experiences. However he stated numerous times that he was more interested in just making sure I had a basic knowledge of the Service but was focused on my personal characteristics and motivations. Here are all the questions that I can remember:

Service knowledge:
    1. What is the Royal Navy/what does it do?
    2. Where is the RN deployed currently? (and examples of ships in each operation)
    3. What is the Fleet Air Arm? Examples of helicopters and base locations
    4. RFA and what they do
    4. Name the 3 Commandos and where each one is right now, what are they up to
    5. Where do the Marines conduct their jungle training? (its Borneo and Belize)
    6. Training pipeline of a RM Officer (he seemed content with me stating it was 64 weeks and contained 5 phases within those 64 weeks, but I offered to list each phase and what it entailed since I had spent the time to revise it, might as well prove I've done the homework)
    7. What I would like to specialize in as an Officer after Troop Commander phase
    8. What is AIB and what might I expect during it? (This caught me off-guard as I obviously understand what AIB is but I haven't yet looked in-depth into it as I've been focusing on POC)
    There were a few more that I don't remember off-hand right now

Running out of room so I'll post the personal character questions below

• Like Like x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  7. Quantumblade

Quantumblade Member

App Stage:
    Personal Character questions:

1. Examples of when I have been a leader/put in a leadership position
    2. Examples of when I have had to delegate
    3. What is moral courage to me, and an example of a time I have demonstrated it
    4. Greatest strength? Greatest weakness?
    5. What is something positive my co-workers say about me?
    6. Examples of when I have had to organize something
    7. Why do I want to join the Royal Marines? (this was the first question off the bat, have a well prepared answer ready)
    8. Examples of being a team-member and working well in a team
    9. Biggest mistake I believe I've made in my life?
    10. What is the RN drug policy, what is my opinion/thoughts on debt and do I believe I can kill someone? (He said these were standard questions he's supposed to ask)

Hope some of that helps pal!

• Like Like x 2
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  8. ironandgrit

ironandgrit Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    That's class mate, thanks for the detail! Definitely food for thought. I'm a few stages behind you at the moment but hopefully everything will fall into place quickly! Have you got a date for a POC yet?

9. Quantumblade

Quantumblade Member

App Stage:
    Yeah my medical took eons but as soon as it came through the PJFT and SIFT have been completed quickly. I don't have a date yet, I was told I would be contacted ASAP with one. So I wait patiently for Monday! Accepting I will be facing the harsh realities of December or January weather :)

10. PotentialToff

PotentialToff Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I'd just like to say thanks for this info!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Quantumblade

Quantumblade Member

App Stage:
    No worries at all mate, the weeks leading up to the interview I was scouring this forum for any info I could find, so I'm happy to be able to help those who follow behind if I can.

Where are you in your application? I've seen you post quite a bit. 2017 batch?

12. PotentialToff

PotentialToff Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I am going for 2017 batch, but my medical has gotten to the point where you could laugh, about 5 months ago I was told my medical is being delayed because of mistaken identity and I will be allowed to proceed in around 3days. 5 months later nothing.

13. Quantumblade

Quantumblade Member

App Stage:
    That's really frustrating, hope it gets resolved ASAP buddy. I experienced some medical frustrations myself, had my medical Jan 9th 2016 and completed a peak flow diary for a month, then heard nothing at all until July 11th. A lot of waiting and answering the same questions from people with the same answer. Goodluck!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Interestingly, the Sift interview is currently under review. Yet again.

I reckon that Officer applicants should be processed exactly the same as potential Other Ranks so that if they pass POC but fail AIB or pass AIB but don't get selected, they can join as an Other Rank without delay, if they wish. The current system involves duplicated and nugatory elements which don't transfer across. Will that happen? Probably not.

15. Pumber21

Pumber21 Matelot

I think there might be more than 3 Commandos.... :D

Well done

16. ironandgrit

ironandgrit Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    New medical procedure, possibly a new sift, feel like I'm being experimented on haha.

17. Ninja_Stoker

Selection is forever evolving. Stick around long enough and it becomes pretty much cyclic.

18. ironandgrit

ironandgrit Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Sorry for going a bit off topic, but when was the last big changes for the officer route ninja? Or has it stayed pretty standard over the years?

19. ironandgrit

ironandgrit Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    And what sort of tweaks are they thinking of making for the sift?

20. Ninja_Stoker

The last 'biggie' was the introduction of the recruiting test for Officers, followed by the removal of the mechanical comprehension element for officers (but not other ranks). Then AIB was reduced to two days. Otherwise outwardly, from an applicants perspective, there's been few significant changes.
    They are thinking of ditching it altogether, I'd heard rumour of, but that's just rumour.