Suggested POC 6-week Training Schedule

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
RECOMMENDED TRAINING PROGRAMME PRIOR TO COMMENCING YOUNG OFFICER TRAINING

• Ensure you warm up thoroughly prior to each session and stretch all used muscles after training.
• On achieving the targets set at week 6 you should strive to maintain this level of fitness until entry to Y.O Training.
• If you are failing to achieve targets, remain on that weeks programme until you can.

WEEK 1

Day 1

4 Mile run

Day 2

Press Ups 3 x 30
Sit Ups 3 x 35
Burpees 3 x 25
Pull Ups 3 x 6
Crunches 3 x 35
Squat Jump 3 x 25

Day 3

12 Mile Bike Ride

Day 4

As Per Day 2

Day 5

4 Mile Run

Day 6

Swim Circuit:
4 x Front Crawl
4 x Breast Stroke
2 x Front Crawl Legs
2 x Front Crawl Arms
2 x Breast Stroke Legs
2 x Breast Stroke Arms
4 x Front Crawl
4 x Breast Stroke

WEEK 2

Day 1

4 Mile Run

Day 2

Press Ups 3 x 35
Sit Ups 3 x 45
Burpees 3 x 30
Pull Ups 3 x 7
Crunches 3 x 45
Squat Jump 3 x 30

Day 3

12 Mile Bike Ride

Day 4

As Per Day 2

Day 5

4 Mile Run

Day 6

Swim Circuit:
4 x Front Crawl
4 x Breast Stroke
2 x Front Crawl Legs
2 x Front Crawl Arms
2 x Breast Stroke Legs
2 x Breast Stroke Arms
4 x Front Crawl
4 x Breast Stroke

WEEK 3

Day 1

5 Mile Run

Day 2

Press Ups 3 x 40
Sit Ups 3 x 55
Burpees 3 x 35
Pull Ups 3 x 8
Crunches 3 x 55
Squat Jump 3 x 35

Day 3

18 Mile Bike Ride

Day 4

As Per Day 2

Day 5

5 Mile Run

Day 6

Swim Circuit:
6 x Front Crawl
6 x Breast Stroke
4 x Front Crawl Legs
4 x Front Crawl Arms
4 x Breast Stroke Legs
4 x Breast Stroke Arms
6 x Front Crawl
6 x Breast Stroke

WEEK 4

Day 1

6 Mile Run

Day 2

Press Ups 2 x 50
Sit Ups 2 x 65
Burpees 2 x 40
Pull Ups 2 x 10
Crunches 2 x 65
Squat Jump 2 x 40

Day 3

20 Mile Bike Ride

Day 4

As Per Day 2

Day 5

6 Mile Run

Day 6

Swim Circuit:
6 x Front Crawl
6 x Breast Stroke
4 x Front Crawl Legs
4 x Front Crawl Arms
4 x Breast Stroke Legs
4 x Breast Stroke Arms
6 x Front Crawl
6 x Breast Stroke

WEEK 5

Day 1

6 Mile Run

Day 2

Press Ups 3 x 55
Sit Ups 3 x 75
Burpees 3 x 45
Pull Ups 3 x 12
Crunches 3 x 75
Squat Jump 3 x 45

Day 3

23 Mile Bike Ride

Day 4

As Per Day 2

Day 5

6 Mile Run

Day 6

Swim Circuit:
8 x Front Crawl
8 x Breast Stroke
6 x Front Crawl Legs
6 x Front Crawl Arms
6 x Breast Stroke Legs
6 x Breast Stroke Arms
8 x Front Crawl
8 x Breast Stroke

WEEK 6

Day 1

7 Mile Run

Day 2

Press Ups 2 x 60
Sit Ups 2 x 85
Burpees 2 x 50
Pull Ups 2 x 14
Crunches 2 x 85
Squat Jump 2 x 50

Day 3

25 Mile Bike Ride

Day 4

As Per Day 2

Day 5

7 Mile Run

Day 6

Swim Circuit:
8 x Front Crawl
8 x Breast Stroke
6 x Front Crawl Legs
6 x Front Crawl Arms
6 x Breast Stroke Legs
6 x Breast Stroke Arms
8 x Front Crawl
8 x Breast Stroke

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Nice program. Im going to add some more cardio into my sessions soon,still suffering from shin splints after 6 months but im looking to get into cylcing more and rowing. Would the long bike rides be better done outside ? Im often doing 30 minute interval sessions at the gym,1 min medium pace,1 min fast, for about 15k. Obviously bike sessions at the gym are a little more precise in terms of speeds and times,but biking outside is great fun.

Only wish i could run a bit more! :(

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
By the way, the schedule wasn't something I dreamed up, it was written by one of the RM Captains that conducts POC, so it's of genuine use.

(Sorry, I should have explained that)

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Ninja you vulture!

I posted this right when the site first kicked off! :D

Whoops sorry!

Double plagiarism too!

I'm standing in the "naughty corner" guys. Typical matelot me- gobs off, claims the glory!

Sorry mate, I missed your earlier post.

sparrow legs

Reaction score
looks like a good varied workout schedule but if your doing this and feel too tired I would add an extra rest day, rest days are as important as a training day especially if you work aswell and are fitting in training in between.

:sleeping:

Mitch

Reaction score
I am intending to restart some training and would love to use this as a basis. One question though; seeing as I have a good few months, if not years, before I join or attempt a POC will it be ok to get to week 6 and stay at that level to just tick over or should I try to push even more?
Oh, and would adding a few weights sessions in be overkill, just i need to bulk up my arms and shoulders so i don't break myself in rugby! :)

Mitch

CJC_CJC

Reaction score
Potential bone question!!

When doing the strength exercises, for example 3 sets of:
press-up
crunches
squats
etc.

Is it better to do the 3 sets of press-ups then 3 sets of crunches etc. (with appropriate breaks of course) or to do the exercises sequentially, i.e. set 1 press ups, set 1 crunches, set 1 crunches. Then go for set 2 of each exercise.

Cheers
CJC

pcampbell87

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
The advice on the official Royal Marine website is to do upper body, mid body and lower body exercises sequentially.

So for this schedule you want to do press ups, sit ups, burpees, pull ups, crunches then squat jumps then have a quick rest and repeat.

TJ08

Reaction score
If my swimming isnt up to my running standard would it be ok to mix and match? i.e. week3 running with week 1 swimming, or should i stay on week one till everything is up to scratch?

good schedule though, im trying to fit it into my day now.

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Just 30 days to PRMC now and I'm starting this but a little more intense on the amount the circuit is done (4 or 5 times a week) and still including the swimming, biking and running.

Iago

Reaction score
Alright guys, I've got POC in three weeks now, here's the circuit I'm doing at the moment, 5 days a week:

3 x 30 press-ups
3 x 30 squats
3 x 60 sit-ups
3 x 50 tricep dips
3 x 25 jump squats
3 x 35 knees to chest
3 x 7 pull-ups
3 x 10 knee raises
3 x 40 alt elbow to knee

plus a couple of swims per week, interval running at the track once a week, a couple of 4-6 mile runs, and a run in boots (increasing by a mile each week at 8 min mile pace)

Anybody who's passed POC, will this sort of thing be enough? Bearing in mind I will have increased the circuit reps a little bit more by the time of POC.

Any advice much appreciated, bricking it a bit at this stage!

Cheers

Ipodbob

Reaction score
I've just started doing this workout plus a new job, where i have to bike 7 miles to work and 7 back. While working out on some days i'm really struggling to even pull off the last set as i'm just feeling completely drained of any energy i did have.

Would it be an issue if i skipped the last set when i'm really struggling or just take a 5 min break and squeeze the rest out slowly in smaller sets say of 10 rest 10 ? Other days i'm fine and can complete the routine.

I do this set every other day and i try to swim the off days if i get a chance, i have leg problems at the minute so running is out of the picture. Also the swimming pool is 5 mile bike ride with lots of hills :bud:

Press Ups 3 x 30
Sit Ups 3 x 35
Burpees 3 x 25
Pull Ups 3 x 6
Tricep Dips 3 x 20
Bicep curl 3 x 20
Military Press 3 x 12
Crunches 3 x 35

No Squat Jumps because biking is enough

thanks for any replys

S

Sotiris

I've got a new one for all you push-up enthusiast.

Try 4 x 50 marine push-ups.

Hehe I got it from a Nazy Seal thread.

It buuuuuuuuuuurns!

Robbie Spice

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
With the bike riding and running , what sort of times should you be looking at ?

JakeParsons

Reaction score
In what order?

I know this has already been mentioned by CJC CJC but I am unsure as to whether listed exercises are to be done sequentially or in 3 repeated sets before moving on to the next exercise? My liaison officer had suggested the later with the idea that the aim was to tire the muscle group with the first and second set and by the third you are knackered and try to push on through the pain (which is something we will all undoubtedly encounter at the POC)! There may be some benefit to the muscle group also because repeating the same exercise might break the muscle down further hence re-growing stronger?

I started the routine doing repeated sets but on week three I find doing the 120 press-ups with a short break between each 40 pretty hard going and my technique drops significantly by the third set, similarly with the pull-ups being 24 with short breaks every 8. I am improving as I continue to repeat week three until I can do the above properly but I thought it maybe worth asking for a second opinion from another recruiting officer? Not that I have any doubt in my own just it would be a relief if I knew I could rest my shoulders a bit more while doing other exercises before doing more press-ups and pull-ups!

Cheers, Jake.

AdmiralAwesome

Reaction score
A quick question:

I've never used swimming as part of a routine before, more as an after workout warm down.

I want to start doing it, but what is meant by:

frontcrawl - legs
frontcrawl - arms

Confused!

JakeParsons

Reaction score
swimming

I am not entirely sure I may have been doing it completely wrong but I interpreted it as using a float to support the other half of your body and just use either arms or legs for propulsion! Any of the little floats work for using just your legs as you just hold them out in-front of you with your hands and there are usually some oddly shaped floats in my local pool that vaguely resemble a pair of breasts that I wedge between my legs and swim with my arms! Just don't go to the lifeguard and ask for the bosom shaped float please:amuse:

Someone who swims more regularly may be able to provide a more accurate answer!

Cheers, Jake