Sunday 3-miler and gym:

The Creature of the Night

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all:
It's 3 miles to the gym where I live, so I think this is the perfect opportunity for me to do a "best effort" 3-miler then do some gym work.

My question is, though, what type of work should I be doing there? Typically, I do:

Weight lifting: (5-sets of a 15kg weight (as do not want to bulk out before Recruit Training))

Rowing for around 15-minutes

Aided pull up (forgive me. I don't know the name of the machine)

Leg presses

Obviously, I am conscious that I am training to be a Royal Marines Commando as opposed to some sort of body builder, so want to get this right with the gym. Also? What type of settings should I be looking at on the treadmill? Typically, this is my setting on the beastly thing:

15% incline for 10 minutes
25-minutes' worth of intervals at a 2% incline; 01:40m at a 4.5mph pace; 00:40s at a 9.1mph pace.
7-minute jog (at around 3mph)
8-minutes of "cardio blast" (e.g., 1 minute at 4 mph, 1 minute at 7mph)
Then, I finish off at a 15% incline for 10 minutes at a 3.9mph pace.

Now I do not know if that is doing me any good? As I have used that setting, on the treadmill for at least the past 8-months or so. I want to have one good gym day in my fitness regime, so need to make sure that it aids me in being a Royal Marine as opposed to hampering me.

Many thanks:
The Creature of the Night.

12Will12

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Bin the weights, get a weighted vest and crack on with body weight exercises. Loads of running and bleep tests. Never in training will you have to bench, curl or squat any weight, waste of time and won’t prepare you for the job at hand, that’s what the PTI’s are for ;) Look up the Arny programme, squared me away big time.

Fibonarchie

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
If you want to do weights, that’s fine.
Focus on lower body compound exercises like squat deadlift and lunges. You can do this either as ‘augmented’ body weight work (eg do it as you would a normal bw circuit but with added resistance) or for something like 5x5 with a heavier weight in order to prepare for load carrying elements of RT and improve leg strength for man carries, hill sprints ect.
Equally as above, can be done no weight or with a weighted vest so do what works for you.

The Creature of the Night

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you, both.
Have looked up the Arny programme and it looks class.

Will start it to-morrow morning and monitor my progress till PRMC (r)

Want to get this phys wrapped up and hopefully, with all the help etc., I will do it.