Superman...........Superbad

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
This was originally a reply to something Peter G said in the thread 'Royal Marines' but i thought i would start a thread.

Maybe if you chucked in some sprints half way through, I don't see a problem with running longer distances, its just being wary of shin splints if you road run too much. If you turn up at your PRMC as superman and absolutely nail it, then start your recruit training, your kness and joints could be wearing down towards the end of the 32 weeks. I would recommend everyone not to go in as the fittest man on earth because in the long run it would be quite risky. (Opinions please, this is my personal view and i'm wondering what everyone else thinks). :dontaskme:

Jervis

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Whats all this knee's wearing down stuff im hearin???? *text deleted* legs aren't disposable they only get stronger! how do you think 30-33 year old people pass it because they work there bollox off!:cheesy:

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Whats all this knee's wearing down stuff im hearin???? *text deleted* legs aren't disposable they only get stronger! how do you think 30-33 year old people pass it because they work there bollox off!:cheesy:

well you are in your prime in your early thirties, im just saying a lot of injuries happen when you are in the final few weeks of training. So say that you have been training for 4 months before your PRMC and absolutely smash records while you are down there. Then you train even harder during the couple of months before RT, then ontop of that you have 32 weeks of intense physical training (maybe longer if backtrooped or injured). This is basically a year of intense training without pause for your joints and muscles, it maybe a bit risky.

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Your knees start to get knackered in like your 40's,
if you've been a Marine all your life you probably will have knackered knees,
but I wouldn't say you get them during your 30's,
and special forces do a lot of running,
with or without weight on their back,
and people are in their for 22 years without knackering their knees.

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Your knees start to get knackered in like your 40's,
if you've been a Marine all your life you probably will have knackered knees,
but I wouldn't say you get them during your 30's,
and special forces do a lot of running,
with or without weight on their back,
and people are in their for 22 years without knackering their knees.

Yeh i guess you are correct.

Well i'll put this forward then....... Is there such thing as over-training/preparing? I mean, they do say that for the PRMC they are looking for people with average fitness (although i think that is the understatement of the century!) and not supermen, why would they say that? Why not turn up an absolute beast?

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Well i'll put this forward then....... Is there such thing as over-training/preparing? I mean, they do say that for the PRMC they are looking for people with average fitness (although i think that is the understatement of the century!) and not supermen, why would they say that? Why not turn up an absolute beast?

Well I think there's nothing to stop you turning up an absolute beast,
but if they said you needed to be at that standard,
it would put people off,
they changed the 99.9% need not apply because that put people off who probably could hack it,
just they aren't superfit.

And yeah saying you need average fitness is a joke,
I think I've got above average fitness compared to most of my friends,
but PRMC will be the hardest thing I've ever done.

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Well I think there's nothing to stop you turning up an absolute beast,
but if they said you needed to be at that standard,
it would put people off,
they changed the 99.9% need not apply because that put people off who probably could hack it,
just they aren't superfit.

And yeah saying you need average fitness is a joke,
I think I've got above average fitness compared to most of my friends,
but PRMC will be the hardest thing I've ever done.

Thats really strange because it was the '99.9% need not apply' advert that first really got my attention and made me do some research on the Royal Marines *text deleted*. After seeing that advert i said to myself 'i want to be a Royal Marine'. I've never regretted that decision! I can't wait!!

Jervis

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah *text deleted* the average person can run 3 miles in 22.30 minutes? followed by 80 sit ups in 2 minutes and 60 correct press ups in two minutes!!! tell you what weight watchers would be outta business! that is a bloody understatement agreed!!:laugh:

Boataimer

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
the way i look at it is that i only worry bout one persons fitness levels, and thats me. To be honest i was a little miffed down at prmc at how unfit some people were and they still passed. I personally found prmc quite easy but that is because i trained so hard for it.

When it comes to rt in dec im going in twice as fit as i was for prmc. I dont think it matters how fit or unfit, how tough or strong you are, if rt's going to break you then it will. Id just rather up my odds of getting through with least amount of stuggle and injuries, than i would going in only fairly fit because we all know by that point we are in and that the training is progressive. Its almost like depending on the training team to make you into a machine, whereas i think it should be a case of them just pushing limits that you didnt know you had *text deleted* youve given your all before hand. Door swings both ways. Youve got to throw maximum effort into everything the training team throws at you.

Get fit lads, very very fit. It will only help and you will need all the help you can get.

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
cheers Grimesy, you say you were suprised at the low level of fitness of the lads on your PRMC, why do you think that was? Did they underestimate it or just did'nt have a clue how to prepare?

Boataimer

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
think it was a bit of both to be honest mate, i mean its hard for little old me to say, some lads might have trained really hard and are just not as fit as other people, therefore hats off to them for giving their all, but you could just tell some lads there were only half arsed, some didnt even know what the gym test 1 consisited of. If you going down for something like that you should know fully what you about to do and be fully prepared. Maybe a little bit of naivity aswell from some people thinking they could get through with minimun effort, and prob a few did but they will get shock of their lives in rt!

some of the lads were pretty hung up on what scores, run times etc other lads were getting, but top tip is to completly ignore whats going on around you in the tests regarding other lads, dont get me wrong a bit of encouragement on the 3 miler if you pass someones is all good, but if you see others slowing, you go faster, if you see blokes collapsing doing pressups on the determination test, you keep banging them out, if people are bent over screeming in agony, you just stand there chest out taking the pain. Things like that get noticed and it only makes yourself feel unbreakable.

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
its wierd because this website has massively helped me in preparation for everything and i think without it then i would have hardly any knowledge about the PRMC, so i could have been one of those lads *text deleted*. I think once this site gets 'morphed' into the RM website then i could see more people passing the PRMC properly because they know what they are doing. I have contacted lads on facebook through the Royal Marines Group and it is staggering the amount of people who are unaware of this site and they ask me what happens on the PRMC when it is only a few weeks away!!

You are right on naivity i think, lads go there thinking its a weekend away from work, college or whatever but they get the shock of their lives. Whats the admin and the all round discipline like whilst at Lympstone?

AdamG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I reckon we should all be trying to get as fit as possible. The fitter you are, the mentally easier it'll be. If your on the 3 miler and your body is finding it hard to cope, you have to use all your mental strenght to guide yourself through it but if your body can do the 3 miler without any trouble, the in your own mind it won't be as tough.

I agree that a years of intense training can do damage. I've not got any bad knee's from running, but my calves and my right shin is in a bit of pain which is uncomfortable.

Boataimer

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
its wierd because this website has massively helped me in preparation for everything and i think without it then i would have hardly any knowledge about the PRMC, so i could have been one of those lads *text deleted*. I think once this site gets 'morphed' into the RM website then i could see more people passing the PRMC properly because they know what they are doing. I have contacted lads on facebook through the Royal Marines Group and it is staggering the amount of people who are unaware of this site and they ask me what happens on the PRMC when it is only a few weeks away!!

You are right on naivity i think, lads go there thinking its a weekend away from work, college or whatever but they get the shock of their lives. Whats the admin and the all round discipline like whilst at Lympstone?

discipline is basic stuff to be honest. Whilst in your rooms its just a case of keeping the noise down and not acting like a cock. getting scrans pretty laid back i had a good chat with other recruits in training, had a chat with a royal marine chef who looked a complete nutter. anywhere else such as when you doing something, dont move, dont itch dont speak. as for the gym you can even forget about blinking (only joking). everything is done how and when the training team say to do it.

admin wise make sure you shower when your told too, shave every morning, dont leave *text deleted**text deleted* lying about your rooms, and theres 3 outfits you will wear:

smart civvies - scran, lectures, arriving at ctc, leaving ctc, when not in either of below
gym kit - gym test 1 and gym test 2, odd cleaning periods over the 3 days
combat boots, jacket, trousers - 3 miler is in trousers and issued t shirt, assault course, determination test and drill

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
cheers for the tips mate, did you take any extra bits of kit that were'nt on the kit list? Or would you recommend taking extra helpful essentials? I know its only 3 days, but anything like extra pairs of socks or boxers etc?

Boataimer

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
i just went off the post by himself in the prmc diaries bit, i think youve posted in it recently. basically hes hit the nail on the head with everything he says, only thing i might suggest is bring talc powder. sounds a bit pussy but i often get bollock rash from sweating alot when ive played footie, run in trackie bottoms etc and with 2 whole days of phys i doused my nuts and arse crack with talc to stop any chaffage. worked a treat there were a few boys walking round like they had to pick up soap in showers after the 2 days. i also doused my feet in them before putting on the issue socks andboots before bottom field. that helped aswell before we were thrown in the water!

maybe bring 3 towels aswell mate, with all the showering my 2 towels were constantly damp. make sure they are the weirdest towels in the *text deleted**text deleted*ing land *text deleted* once they go in the drying room, when you return to get your blue towel i bet my life there will be 30 other blue towels mixed up with yours, catch my drift.:nuts:

C

critchmufc

i dont see the problem with being a superman at your prmc, but overtraining is when you get injured