Supplements in RT

Dimonwhite

Reaction score
Hello everyone, here's my question: Are recruits allowed to consume supplements during recruit training, whether thats protein shakes, protein bars, creatine, vitamins, or joint supplements?
I ask because
1) I dont know the answer haha
and
2) When I join I'd like to use every resource available to me to minimise the chances of an injury and maximise my recovery and thus my performance. It seems to me that if it's ok to shove pasta down your throat during lunch to pack in calories then it should be ok to take protein or any other legal supplement.

Thanks in advance!

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hello everyone, here's my question: Are recruits allowed to consume supplements during recruit training, whether thats protein shakes, protein bars, creatine, vitamins, or joint supplements?
I ask because
1) I dont know the answer haha
and
2) When I join I'd like to use every resource available to me to minimise the chances of an injury and maximise my recovery and thus my performance. It seems to me that if it's ok to shove pasta down your throat during lunch to pack in calories then it should be ok to take protein or any other legal supplement.

Thanks in advance!
Quick answer: No, you cannot take any supplements during training.

Caversham

Former RM Commando, Moderator
Reaction score
If you're found taking supplements of any kind, you'll probably find yourself on the next train home.

Alan

Harry McRunFast

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Are you allowed to bring basically first aid stuff? Ibuprofen, aspirin etc?

The guide

Ex RAF, Ex Royal Marines, now RN.! go figure
Reaction score
No Non prescribed medications are to be taken to CTC as guys self medicate and if something goes wrong med do not know, a major one being Heat injuries as paracetamol is a antipyretic , and brufen increases dehydration issues. Medications such as this can be given by the medics at sick parade which is held twice daily for fresh cases, or of course with a Drs appointment.

Dimonwhite

Reaction score
Quick answer: No, you cannot take any supplements during training.
Are you allowed to have food in your accommodation? If I remember correctly one lad in that Commando School documentary was having some tuna here and there

Caversham

Former RM Commando, Moderator
Reaction score
Are you allowed to have food in your accommodation? If I remember correctly one lad in that Commando School documentary was having some tuna here and there
Dominos deliver to CTC, so yes food is eaten in the blocks, as well as Dutchy's burger van being available.

As for storing additional food in the accommodation, then regardless of what you saw, then I'm fairly confident the answer is no. You will be given four meals a day in the main galley, which you are required to attend.

Someone who has a more up to date view will come along and give you the full reasons why, such as @Royal2010, @Rob20 and @The guide.

Alan

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
To be honest this is the sort of thing you will find out as you get into training. Some teams do things differently. I'd worry more about fitness and then the rest will fall into place.

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
From my experience you're not supposed to. But the crime is getting caught. A lad in my room got caught with a packet of rich tea biscuits in his locker. He had to eat the whole packet there and then. Twas abit dry apparently

Towards end of training each room will usually have a wets boat on the go. Just play the game. Keep it tidy and don't make it obvious that you're all storing 1000 different types of coffee or biscuits in your locker