Supplements to gain weight?

MillwallAlex

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys I recent posted about weight and that I am bang on 65KG which is the limit

What is everyone’s opinions on taking weight gaining supplements to just get me up a bit.

I don’t intend to do body building or any of that bollocks, I will just carry on with my body weight exercises and cardio (*text deleted* work towards arnys plan). I will be eating a lot more however I’m considering taking supplements like protein shakes or something (don’t really know about them or what they’re called) just to help bump my weight up to ENSURE I am over the limit

Opinions?

Seags98

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Weight gaining supplements aren’t a good idea in my opinion, you can easily gain weight by eating more frequently. In my latest RMAD I asked the same question and the simple answer was that they have more of a negative impact, in RT training you won’t have the time for all the pills and potions so naturally you won’t be able to maintain the weight and that could be a major setback.

My advice would be to just eat more frequently, they don’t have to be massive meals all the time but make sure you aren’t just shovelling *text deleted* food in to you all the time like takeaways and fast food.

Don’t fall into the same trap as me and go on the protein etc. And then come off it and see your bodyweight plummet. I still use it occasionally but only after big sessions for recovery.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Whilst it seems a glib answer, just eat more - it certainly works for me :(

As stated, you cannot take supplements in training and there is sufficient calorific content in the food provided to prevent significant weight loss...but only if you don't get lazy and skip meals.

If you are he vering on the 65kgs limit, you need to be aware you will probably lose at least a couple of kilos initially, as your calorie burn will rocket. Those who are in training and dip below 65kgs after the initial weigh-in, are sometimes tempporarily prescribed supplements to give them a foothold but I do know of people who took three attempts at RT, having dipped under the minimum weight and being discharged twice.

Best of luck.

MillwallAlex

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Whilst it seems a glib answer, just eat more - it certainly works for me :(

As stated, you cannot take supplements in training and there is sufficient calorific content in the food provided to prevent significant weight loss...but only if you don't get lazy and skip meals.

If you are he vering on the 65kgs limit, you need to be aware you will probably lose at least a couple of kilos initially, as your calorie burn will rocket. Those who are in training and dip below 65kgs after the initial weigh-in, are sometimes tempporarily prescribed supplements to give them a foothold but I do know of people who took three attempts at RT, having dipped under the minimum weight and being discharged twice.

Best of luck.

Yeah I’m trying to eat a lot more, at least 3000 calories a day.

So can you be sent home during training if you dip below 65KG or will they just give you supplements to get you back up?

MillwallAlex

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Work out your BMR:
http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

You’ll need to be consuming more than this every day, 500 more is a good target to aim for. For example if your BMR is 2000cals then you’ll be consuming 2500.
Weight gaining supplements aren’t a good idea in my opinion, you can easily gain weight by eating more frequently. In my latest RMAD I asked the same question and the simple answer was that they have more of a negative impact, in RT training you won’t have the time for all the pills and potions so naturally you won’t be able to maintain the weight and that could be a major setback.

My advice would be to just eat more frequently, they don’t have to be massive meals all the time but make sure you aren’t just shovelling *text deleted* food in to you all the time like takeaways and fast food.

Don’t fall into the same trap as me and go on the protein etc. And then come off it and see your bodyweight plummet. I still use it occasionally but only after big sessions for recovery.

Ok cheers lads, I’m *text deleted* start trying for at least 3000 a day. Try n make it healthy n all

Hyperhippo

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Try n make it healthy n all

Be careful with this, healthy food is very volumous but low in cals, for example 500cals of salad looks very different to 500cals of burger and chips. You’ll find you’ll eat half the salad and feel full up, whereas burger and chips you’ll be thinking right good starter now what’s the main course?

But good luck though and let us know how you get on

MillwallAlex

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Be careful with this, healthy food is very volumous but low in cals, for example 500cals of salad looks very different to 500cals of burger and chips. You’ll find you’ll eat half the salad and feel full up, whereas burger and chips you’ll be thinking right good starter now what’s the main course?

But good luck though and let us know how you get on

Yeah yeah mate by healthy I meant try to avoid just shovelling chocolate and crisps down me throat. But yeah I’ve had pub lunch about 4 times this week so fingers crossed :D

Chelonian

Reaction score
...I meant try to avoid just shovelling chocolate and crisps down me throat.

Don't be too picky. I recall that some bloke ate nothing but Quavers from age five until he was forty and was evaluated as having healthy, functional body metrics. :eek:
As mentioned in another thread it has been suggested that the average British Christmas dinner (with alcohol) contains about 7,000 calories. Fill your boots.

DutyWretch

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Curious to know why you thing 'bodybuilding' or 'any of that bollocks' is a waste of time?

It's the healthiest way to get your body weight up, adding muscle instead of fat, and adding strength instead of harming your cardiovascular ability by throwing loads of crap down your throat.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Curious to know why you thing 'bodybuilding' or 'any of that bollocks' is a waste of time?

A fair question. Used appropriately (perhaps therein lies the key) and with a mahoosive dose of CV I think that gym/bodybuilding stuff can be beneficial. Rejecting the popular gym philosophy might be the answer. Not that I claim any expertise whatsoever. Haven't stepped inside a gym since about 1987.

DutyWretch

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
A fair question. Used appropriately (perhaps therein lies the key) and with a mahoosive dose of CV I think that gym/bodybuilding stuff can be beneficial. Rejecting the popular gym philosophy might be the answer. Not that I claim any expertise whatsoever. Haven't stepped inside a gym since about 1987.

There's a common misconception that bodybuilding and lifting weights is going to somehow turn you into a massive unit who can't run overnight.

Naturally the cardio aspect has to be strictly upheld, but using a proper strength programme and sticking to it rigidly, will not only gain lasting weight through muscle mass, but also improve many exercises that are criteria to passing PRMC (bench pressing for pressups, weighted pull ups and lat pull downs for pull ups etc)

It's just the best option for adding weight that can be maintained in my opinion.

And let's face it, 65kg is very very light.

wellmemedmyboy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Smash food. It is fuel. If you put on pudge it doesn't matter if you stay fit. The girls or boys, whichever floats your goat, will still like you, smash bodweight and strength training get big but keep up the cardio. Not hard. Add milk to your diet ON TOP OF your eating. Stuff like this is easy. Phys and eating is admin

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
So can you be sent home during training if you dip below 65KG or will they just give you supplements to get you back up?
If you dip below & appear to be making no headway within a reasonable timeframe, you'll be discharged. That's why one guy I recruited had to join three times before achieving success - truth is, he probably gained the weight naturally as he grew as he was only 16 the first time he joined.

MillwallAlex

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score

It's the healthiest way to get your body weight up, adding muscle instead of fat, and adding strength instead of harming your cardiovascular ability by throwing loads of crap down your throat.

I just always assumed that training for the Royal Marines and bodybuilding don’t go hand in hand. That’s what a lot of people on this sight say

MillwallAlex

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
If you dip below & appear to be making no headway within a reasonable timeframe, you'll be discharged. That's why one guy I recruited had to join three times before achieving success - truth is, he probably gained the weight naturally as he grew as he was only 16 the first time he joined.

Ahh ok thanks. This is why I worry because I don’t want to be sent home for dipping under the limit

DutyWretch

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I just always assumed that training for the Royal Marines and bodybuilding don’t go hand in hand. That’s what a lot of people on this sight say

You're 65kg.

You could afford to put on another 20kg (85kg is master race for RT ;)) but realistically you'd put on about 5kg in 6 months to a year.

Remember you need a buffer weight to avoid getting binned out.

I joined my recruit troop at 85kg and was 75kg on passing out...

There's a lot of advice on here, I'm not saying I'm right, I'm just saying what I'd do.

MillwallAlex

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
You're 65kg.

You could afford to put on another 20kg (85kg is master race for RT ;)) but realistically you'd put on about 5kg in 6 months to a year.

Remember you need a buffer weight to avoid getting binned out.

I joined my recruit troop at 85kg and was 75kg on passing out...

There's a lot of advice on here, I'm not saying I'm right, I'm just saying what I'd do.

Yeah but I do have a very high metabolism so indunno if I'll be able to get to 85kg, oh well I just *text deleted* work with what God gave me eh?

Merry Christmas by the way!

p04

Reaction score
weight gain shakes are still just simply food, they have no secret properties. your problem is your appetite, i would recommend high volume squat workouts as a way of breaking down tissue and in turn stimulating your appetite. appetite is your issue here, it is in the mind. fat people are fat because they have a stronger emotional connection with food and gain comfort from eating. make measures to eat more and often, set alarms, make scheduled eating plans ect.

old-lynx-mech

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Don't confuse going in the gym to get strong with going in the gym to get massive. There is much to be gained from regular gym sessions, to build strength for example in legs to help resist shin splints and shoulders to help shoulder stability to help prevent shoulder dislocations. If you can afford it find a good gym and get some decent programs from the staff. Let them know what your goals are and they will be able to tailor something for you.