Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Supplements

Discussion in 'Training Methods and Diet Suggestions' started by A.T.994, Jun 24, 2019.

1. A.T.994

A.T.994 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Hi All,
    I'll start RT at the end of July. Supplements for the bones and joints are allowed? If yes, what brand you recommend?

• Seen Seen x 1
  2. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Unless medically prescribed and approved there are restrictions on supplements during RT.

3. A.T.994

A.T.994 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Yes I know but the PTI recommended us to get supplements for the health of bones and joint to prevent injuries

• Disagree. Disagree. x 1
  4. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

I’ll repeat for you-

Supplements are barred whilst in recruit training, regardless of what a PTI has said.

A good a balanced and varied diet that allows you to get all the vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and other nutrients you need is key. They say a more Mediterranean-style diet which includes fish, pulses, nuts, olive oil and plenty of fruit and vegetables is great for joints.

If you really want to throw your money away buy some cod liver oil. But in RT you’ll have to make do like everyone else.

If you do break, you will have access to fantastic facilities and experts there to help you. Don’t worry.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  5. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

If you are found with supplements on you at CTC you will find yourself on the next train home. They are a total bar during RT.

Alan

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

If that was a PTI at Lympstone who advised this during a recent PRMC, then there has been a policy change which the recruiting organisation has not been made aware of. It's not unheard of for such a thing to happen, but unless supplements are on your written kitlist letter, the advice is don't take any as they are specifically barred and remain barred during recruit training until CTC amend the joining letter.

My spidey-senses suggest the advice was off-piste & there hasn't been a policy change.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  7. R

R Well-Known Member

I understood the ban to be on protein powders and pre-training supplements as they can cause a CDT failure?

8. TheRubberDagger

TheRubberDagger Royal Marines Commando

Like us- it’s a restriction on all supplements during training phase.

Just scran properly & stop wasting your cash.

When on Ops it’s unlikely that you will be able to sustain the multitude of fancy supplements young lads seem to be into these days.

Some recruits seem to convince themselves that you can’t possibly survive CTC without magic milkshakes & pills, yet generations of Royals did perfectly well with a healthy balanced diet and lots of phys.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  9. ByStrengthAndBeer

ByStrengthAndBeer New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I start RT in 2 weeks and I was told during my PRMC last week that we are allowed to take down supplements like Cod Liver Oil.

It was brought up by the PTI to look into getting them if we wanted as he said they were fine to take down. I asked for more clarification on this and his answer was: The supplements that are banned are Creatine, Protein powder, Pre-workouts and Supplements that directly Enhance performance.

10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

There are several reasons going back several years. One of the reasons was the Mum of a recruit rightly complained her son was spending £100 a month on supplements, as advised by a member of his training team.

It was something neither he nor she were aware of, prior to joining and did not have the financial resources to maintain.

Trouble was the guy selling them to recruits happened to have a business interest in the source of the goods he recommended...

Who'd have thought? ;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. R

R Well-Known Member

Thats one way to supplement your income, i remember a similar dit where ranks were selling custom pouches, to be fair they were very good and they are still on my webbing and chest rig.

12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Not a problem, we'll raise the question with the Commando Training Wing for definitive guidance.

I would add that periodically this happens as staff change, as do policies but from an AFCO perspective, if it ain't on the official kitlist (which is a live document edited by CTC), then it isn't required.

Either way it's not a biggie.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Caversham

CTC has been turning recruits into trained Royal Marines for around 60 years and all without the help of supplements. As @TheRubberDagger states, just eat well. You won't be able to access them when on ops, so steer well away from them.

Myself and others on this forum managed to complete RT without them and so should you.

Alan

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  14. GriZZ

GriZZ New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Strangely when I was in training our troop participated in a new thing they were trying out to recruits. I signed up and at certain stages during training we would go over to med bay to get an injection of vitamin D in which, they were hoping, would help prevent injuries in training.

15. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

This obsession with supplements by recruits is a bit ridiculous.
    You'll get a balanced diet served to you each day & you'll get plenty of phys to burn off any excess calories. Why mess around with anything you don't need?
    Just keep your head down and I am sure you can get through a few months of hardship without anything other than the food provided. People will always slate the food but when you are fatigued and hungry it does the job, trust me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  16. R

R Well-Known Member

Fair comment, however people slate the food as its does get gradually worse, that is until contract renewal when there is suddenly a jump in presentation and variety. Also the reason why ranks that live on-board will do a Tescos shop instead of eating at the galley which is cheap. My troop just took every opportunity to eat ashore when we could, nice little outings away from a camp setting. :D

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

As promised, definitive guidance:

• Like Like x 2
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 2
  18. Caversham

I have to say that guys have always dripped about the food in the main galley at CTC, saying it wasn't like they had at home etc. I never had a problem with it; not sure if it was because the food in the galley was better than I got at home, or the the fact that my Mum wasn't a good cook!;)

Interestingly, the Toby Carvery, just down the road from CTC, has a cross selection of old farts seeking cheap food, (me), trained ranks and Nods queuing up for their Sunday lunch. Good value, especially when one of them pays extra for a large one and then shares the mountain of scran out on his plate with the rest of the table! Don't you just love Nods!

Alan