Supplements

Discussion in 'Training Methods and Diet Suggestions' started by mrdlewis, Aug 23, 2007.

1. the happy sloth

the happy sloth Well-Known Member

Pretty useless.

2. "Sandy"

"Sandy" Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed POC
    Thanks for letting me know knoxy :)

3. the happy sloth

It's ok bud!

• Like Like x 1
  4. stokey_14

stokey_14 Moderator

It's a suppliment that doesn't lose effectivness with time, you don't become tolerent to it or hit a roof so to speak. As i said 5 gram a day year round is perfectly fine, it wont turn you into superman or anything but when it comes to strength it'll help a tiny bit.

Calories are where it's at when it comes to weight gain. Without these creatine is totally worthless, so whilst there are some supps that can help, look at your diet and eat more first and foremost.

After that some i personally use and recommend are:

Vit D (2500-5000 i.u.'s) to be taken year round for immune function, England isn't a sunny place and a lot of people are deficient
    Fish oil (2-4 g a day) to help your joints
    Whey (1-2 shakes a day) nothing magic here just protein like you'd get from chicken... what it is is cheap and convenient protein source.
    Creatine (5g per day) as discussed
    Beta Alanine (4 x 2 g dose) something i love that helps with endurance and works in synergy with creatine

All basic and all fairly cheap. Not a single one is essential, if you have money to get them and wish to aid your training, go for it however if your diets not spot on, forget it they wont plug holes in a crap diet. (i've put them in order of there worth *text deleted*)

Actually it is, simply take on more calories than you burn off. If olympic rowers or any pro athlete for that matter can do it you sure can to because trust me your intensive training would be a warm up for those blokes.

A few tips for getting more calories daily and reaching your goal weight:

Add olive oil (extra virgin if you can afford) to all means, on salad, into your chilli heck do a shot with a meal if you have to.
    Peanut / almond butter, high calories and can be eaten right of the spoon or put on a sandwich.
    Milk, not a big fan myself but if you tolerate it well a pint of this extra a day will do nothing but help.
    The odd junk food, if your struggling to put on weight, there is nothing wrong with a high calorie pig out, just limit them otherwise you'll soon add the wrong kind of weight.

Finally make sure you are resting and sleeping like a baby, you don't grow in the gym, you grow whilst you rest and sleep (rich coming from a bloke on his laptop at 1 PM!!)

All the best, get eating.

Stokey

• Like Like x 3
  5. the happy sloth

I don't know what that is, but you need to realise supplements aren't a magic pill that will make you HUGE! It takes time and a lot of food! In my opinion. Don't waste money on supplements, apart from the ones that stokey listed above, I came from 55kg max to 70ish kg, and I didn't waste my money on all these fancy supplements, just lift heavy and eat big.

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  6. stokey_14

stokey_14 Moderator

Isn't that a pro-hormone(PH)? If so i wouldn't recommend anyone touching it. For starters i'm pretty sure it's banned in the armed forces (don't know officially but PH are steroids) secondly i don't know how old you are but those things can really mess up your endocrine system, certainly in younger men. Thirdly you're clearly (and i mean no offence by this) not that advance or knowledgeable about these things, these aren't to be played with and the fact your 60 odd kg and struggling to gain weight tells me you need to focus one diet, training etc

Finally and let me be clear i'm not in anyway suggesting this but if you are going to mess around with PH's you'd be better of health wise using actual steroids, far more is known about them, most are a lot less liver toxic etc PH's are chemically altered to be legal, very little testing is done on them and much like legal highs they tend to be more dangerous or damaging than there illegal counterparts.

Once again let me state if you want to join the forces any sort of steroidal drug PH or otherwise is a stupid, risky and pointless exercise.

Forget supps and focus on eating!

Stokey

• Like Like x 2
  7. JohnDoe

JohnDoe Active Member

Just openly admitted using prohormones on a Royal Marines forum.. Smart...

Just eat and lift, stop over complicating it, there is no shortcut.

8. m2013

m2013 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed POC
    Prohormones do more damage than injectable AAS *text deleted*

• Like Like x 2
  9. "Sandy"

App Stage:
    Passed POC
    I know that mate just wanted to get b
    Yeah i know i used them around a year ago stupidly but saw a massive different they added around 8kg in a month was just curious haha :P

10. "Sandy"

App Stage:
    Passed POC
    I used them around a year ago, i know a few people in the forces who have used pro hormones before
    I have knew a few people who used PH to bulk up before joining the forces but i know they're wrong i was just head farting although they they arent illegal, i didnt know about the damage they could do when i was on then hence being around a year ago and now i have realised but thanks for pointing that out..

11. stokey_14

stokey_14 Moderator

I'm not surprised you was big changes when taking steroids, they do work...

But don't be a pillock and never toss pills, powder or heck even food like berries and mushrooms down your neck before knowing what they are and what they do. Thats how people end up in some right states or dead. Read, do you own research and make informed decisions on what you are putting in your body.

I also find it slightly ironic how this has gone from... will creatine show up on a drugs test to admitting to and asking if it's ok to throw some steroids back....

Stokey

• Like Like x 1
  12. m2013

m2013 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed POC
    I think PH's are very misleading to people who don't know what they are. Some are even more potent and stronger than dianabol as an example. and since PH's don't disclose the full ingredient list you don't know what it is you are taking

• Like Like x 1
  13. "Sandy"

App Stage:
    Passed POC
    I was very naive when I was taking then I'll admit that but I didn't come here to be looked down upon for asking a simple question, thanks away

14. stokey_14

stokey_14 Moderator

Exactly, since PH's hit the market they've changed a great deal also, changed to be stronger, changes so they aren't illegal compounds, "clones" etc Very dodgy area indeed. Every alteration = a new unknown as to what it might do in the short or long term. As you say probably a lot worse than the much older and much more widely used PED's out there. Yet still sold over the counter and with little or sometimes no mention of what they actually are or how to use them in a safe(er) fashion.

Hate to think of the young lads landing them self on a live time of TRT just because they didn't bother to do there research or wanted a quick fix.

Stokey

15. stokey_14

stokey_14 Moderator

I'm not looking down on you, just stating what you did was silly and dangerous...as above i'd hate to see a young lad destroy his body for some "gains"

Stokey

16. m2013

m2013 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed POC
    yeah, even if PH's were allowed in the forces I don't think theyd work well together, I know they can cause painful muscle pumps which I cant imagine would go down well doing running.
    I achieved a pretty decent size naturally anyways (before all this running and training destroyed my work) so I don't see the need for anything like that before joining an armed force. its too risky

17. "Sandy"

App Stage:
    Passed POC
    I didnt mean you mate, just when your young and you start going the gym you do want to just get big as you can as fast as you can which was why i ended up taking them but was told by the bloke who told me they werent that harmful, obviously he wanted to make money haha.. You seem to know what your talking about though so thanks

18. "Sandy"

App Stage:
    Passed POC
    Yeah i agree with you on that mate

19. Wolfie.

Wolfie. Well-Known Member

I personally wouldn't take a pre workout before any cardio, that sh't will kill you if you're doing a sprint session for example

• Like Like x 1
  20. stokey_14

stokey_14 Moderator

Pre-workouts are another iffy area. If we're talking stimulant based then most of the stuff that works is banned.

I've always stuck to caffeine for pre-workout which unless your really daft with isn't going to kill you. I'm also very careful now with cycling it, despite it being mild, tolerance can build up and i wasn't getting much from 500mg at one point. so i got off it for a few month and now rarely go as high as 250mg.

The more interesting pre-workouts knocking around are the non-stim base ones. These wont give you that kick before a workout but focus more on the nutritional aspect. Containing amions, creatine, carbs, electrolytes etc

Not touched them because i don't have the money to waste but if i did i'd probably give them a whirl.

Stokey