Supplements

Discussion in 'Training Methods and Diet Suggestions' started by mrdlewis, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Wolfie.

Wolfie. Well-Known Member

Top level athletes don't go to prison;). Of course it's not nutritionally OK but they aren't going to get ON PRE are they?! And none professional athletes will use Powder Pre-Workouts, gels and brands like lucozade are the energy product of choice and they're not healthy either..

2. iLikeTurtles

iLikeTurtles Active Member

don't use any supplements 30+ euros for 200grams is a pisstake and amazon.co.uk wont ship here wonder why

3. stokey_14

stokey_14 Moderator

I understand that but no of us are in the nick either?

And what's healthy or not healthy is a very subjective thing. Before / during an endurance workout a isotonic drink like lucozade would be very healthy. Depending on what in the powdered pre-workouts you could also claim them to be health positive or neutral.

By no means are all of these supplements decent but coffee and coke? Not only is that turning a healthy coffee into a fizzing pot of chemicals it's also not adding a great deal.

Avoid... even if your in the nick.... avoid, drink a bit more coffee and don't listen to 80% of the trip Kali muscle spouts.

Again he's "natty" don't you know -banghead-

Stokey

4. Wolfie.

Wolfie. Well-Known Member

Pet hate is bodybuilders claiming to be natty, people need to be as honest as Rich Piana about their steroid abuse.

I only took pre-workouts when I was a gym rat, other than that I still drank tonnes of water no fizzy drinks.

Supplements in general are claim to be safe but in the long run nobody knows what these supplements can/will do.

5. Rob20

Rob20 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Random one. Would cod liver oil be bannes in RT. Does it count as a supplement or would it be allowed?

6. "Sandy"

"Sandy" Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed POC
    I dont think you can take anything like that in RT but i might be wrong, doubt it though

7. Monos

Monos New Member

I use just some standard whey and take it twice a day on active days and once on rest days to promote recovery. I have been drinking a litre of full fat milk most days for the past month and I'm getting leaner, stronger and my recovery time has been reduced significantly. Probably going to get allot of flak for this but hey ho. :P

8. "Sandy"

"Sandy" Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed POC
    I normally tend to have more protein on rest days than active days, hence needing more to recover but each to their own

9. the happy sloth

the happy sloth Well-Known Member

Current supplement stack -
    Nitric oxide
    Pre workout
    Creatine
    Whey protein
    Vitamin C

10. PompeyLad

PompeyLad Member

I gather that the training staff are quite strict on supplements during RT. Ginseng (Korean and Siberian) is quite a popular natural energy booster - and won't be seen on a CDT. I know quite a few recruits do try to slip in supplements with them though. If you've got a 4kg bag of whey then that's going to be quite obvious. ZMA is a huge supplement used in training, and I know a few marines who do this. It makes three hours sleep feel like eight hours. And it would be easy to bring this in (as it's tablets).

For training for RT, whey is unbeatable and a user before said to have high protein intake on rest days. Obviously smash calories during training, but for the amount of conditioning we're doing we can easily get away with a carbohydrate intake of 10-12g per KG of body weight. Smash carbs on active days as well as high protein intake, but on rest days, make a complete conscious effort to eat protein every two to three hours. Learn to love cottage cheese too; 300g before bed is packed with casein and will drip feed your muscles protein when sleeping, which is were good recovery comes from.

As I am currently filling out my medical form; I will avoid any pre-workout supplement and only sticking to supplements on the Informed Sport website (mostly MaxiMuscle). Post medical though I will use a few caffeine based products pre-training (only for hardest session of the week), and start using weight gainers, simply because of the calorie content. A discharge because of failing a CDT has huge implications on future carers, and you are not entitled to a pension, no matter how long you have served!

11. the happy sloth

Don't bother wasting your money on weight gainers bud, just buy a tub of whey and make your own, much cheaper.

12. Monos

Monos New Member

Isn't nitric oxide a scam?

13. the happy sloth

Depends what you use it for, I only use it for an increased pump and to prolong it, so for my case, no it's not.

14. PompeyLad

PompeyLad Member

Many ingredients in pre-workouts combine to give you elevated nitrogen and oxygen in blood. If you've had a good protein intake prior to training, then again, you'll have raised NO levels in blood. BCAA's also do this too, and subsequently allow for higher nitrogen levels post training. Thus, any protein ingested up to six hours will go straight toward recovery. Would recommend to slowly wean yourself off supplements like this prior to R/YO training. Although on the C4 documentary Commando School earlier this year, one lad swallowed three scoops of coffee powder with lucozade.

15. Proximo

Proximo Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    When into heavy weightlifting I used to take pre and intra workout shakes, post workout whey isolate. Whey concentrate twice during the day, HMB, ZMA, creatine, animal pak. I even got into taking CoQ10, seleniun, and some other vitamens and minerals.

Now I just stick to Gold Standard whey for a post-gym shake, some 3-6-9 capsules, glucosamine, zinc and magnesiun, and a regular multivitamen. I don't take them religiously though. I never want to get into that mindset of thinking "shit, I didn't take so and so today" and using that as an excuse not to train or poor training.

16. Viking

Viking Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    i have seen a lot about drinking a pint of blue capped milk can be quite beneficial for you when it comes to wanting to add a little bit more weight whilst training hard?

Can someone elaborate a little

17. Proximo

Proximo Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Whole/full fat milk. Its a good way to increase your calorie intake, and as a liquid people find it easier to drink milk rather than eat more. Although it can make you feel bloated. I used to drink at least 2 litres a day, but partly because I love milk anyway and its cheap.

• Like Like x 1
  18. TimH

TimH Member

It's just a watered down version of GOMAD; full fat milk is calorically dense and has a lot of protein, and so helps you get in the necessary nutrition for recovery and growth.

19. Bean03

Bean03 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    So I've heard ZMA gives you lucid dreams... I just took my first 3 tablets last night, and dreamt I was Steve carell working in a clothes shop.

Yeah..

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  20. Gretzky

Gretzky Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    @Bean03 love me a good lucid dream. Next time you're in one.. Fly;) you won't regret it haha