supplements

Mac

Reaction score
Hey guys, i am currently taking supplements to build muscle for rugby whilst on the off season, but im aiming to do the POC next year, i was wondering if the fact that i took supplements may hinder me in anyway????

i.e. too much muscle making me too heavy so i would get prolonged endurance run times. any help would be apreciated

Thanks. Mac

rusty92

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Supplement cans be very helpful, But id be careful on what you go out buying, I Currently take Protein shakes and Creatine, Also having lots of Full Chickens and other things which high amounts of protein!. Already see a big improvement in muscle mass and ive built up alot or already!.. And like you said building up huge arms and body would make it alot harder to do push ups, and pull ups and even sit ups, Just theres more body weight to lift!, Hence the reason why im pretty good at push ups because im light, just ripped but not big muscle mass!..

Take a look at the article below to give you a good idea why protein is good for building your body up!

http://www.maximuscle.com/protein

All the best mate!
Sam

hughbrown

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i cant even afford supplements *text deleted*
but just be careful to not get to big i guess

Geordie

Reaction score
Mate in all honesty I tried creatine and protein shakes for a while and I think the only real effect was a placebo i.e. the fact that I was taking them convinced me that I had more energy and was getting more definition. I spoke to a personal trainer about a year back (and this bloke is in seriously good shape) and he told me that if I didn't have time to eat the right kind of foods then I could get away with one protein shake per day, but that in reality all you need to maximise your fitness potential is to eat the right food in the right quantities. I took his advice on board and *text deleted* i'm training harder than ever and the missus (!), close friends and family members have said that they've never seen me in better shape.

The harder you train the more you can eat, and who doesn't like to eat man?!

Cheers

Mac

Reaction score
thanks alot, cant watch the vids at the mo am at college, but will check em out later. talked to my rugby coach in the gym this morning and his words were that supplements are good if your focusing purely on your sport but because im using rugby training and going to the gym to achieve a greater goal then its better for me to change my diet to accomodate my rugby and training.

cherrs
Mac

0.01%

Reaction score
Yeah just make sure you dont end up like this wiredo, whos absolutly pumped up on steroids!!.!.. hahah.. Ronnie Coleman what a guy!.. Take a look at some of the videos on youtube of him absolutely priceless!! always laugh my head off when he goes "Yeah Buddy!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ziOhn-rD7Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK6hc3J4e88
:laugh::laugh::laugh:HAHA!!

I know we all aspire to different things but may I just ask, what the hell is the point in being like that?! Quality video, made me chuckle!

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ronnie Coleman is *text deleted**text deleted*ing hilarious-"Light weight baby!", ha ha

I honestly think he's a little bit mentally retarded

rusty92

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah so *text deleted* funny when he goes!.. "Lighweight Baby!", "Yeah Buuddddddyyy".. Hahah!.. Hes absolutely off his head, Its all the *text deleted**text deleted*e he has taken over the years to get him that big which has fecked his brain up!.. Hense the reason he is mentally retarded!.. What a legend! hahahha :laugh:

A Mate of mine, Has also admitted to me of taking Steriods for his rugby etc and he is pretty huge now and he says he has major mood swings and sometimes gets a bonner for no reason like at total random times, I Know thats normal sometimes but he says its a regular thing, He said the Steriods have just fecked him up big style, But has done what he wanted and that was to get big, And man he is big!.. Once got into a fight with this Gordie bloke up town and smashed the guys face in proper!.. Hes an absolute monster!.. He is also a body guard so helps alot!.

Sam

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I would say supplements are useful, but it all depends on the person and what you want to achieve. I managed to find a low priced and good tasting protein shake (chocolate flavour).

But if you cant afford that then you can always get it from food, easily obtainable from meat etc but it is advised that you have 1 gram of protein for every pound of body weight, eg 200lbs bodyweight and 200 grams of protein a day.

But never go down the steroids route! They will do terrible damage to your body. Look at Ronny Coleman, in a few years he will be feeling the affect from years of steroids and body abuse, with an enlarged heart, join problems etc. It may also permanently damage your reproductive organs, also with more volatile mood changes. I personally know someone who has been on steroids and it gave them some problems, one minute they where happy as larry and the next they felt suicidal , and the next pure anger.

Mac

Reaction score
some good stuff here, i think im gna go down the more affordable food route, i reckon i got bout 10ish days left of my protein shakes, so when that goes i'll exchange with some better alternatives. cheers

Mac

caliba

Reaction score
supplements can be useful, although protein can be found in enough quantity in daily foods there are lots of different things supplements can provide to muscle growth i.e glutamine, bcaa's and lots more thats hard to find in even a strict diet.

my question is are we allowed to use supps in training or once we are passed?

SatanSmiling

Reaction score
protein good!

To give a bit of balance to the topic, in my opinion protein supplements are worth it. You will actually pay less per gram of protein in supplement than from eggs or chicken. It's definitely the best post-workout protein, as many research papers have shown. The ones you want to get are Optimum Nutrition or PhD. They are the best quality as well as the best value. Reflex is good as well.
Creatine is good for building size and strength, but it hasn't shown any effect on endurance. Possibly because the slight increase in weight it gives you cancels out the advantage of the sprint speed you'd get from it. I still haven't decided whether or not I will stop taking it before POC.
Oh, Ronnie Coleman is an absolute legend, and don't worry you won't become as big as him if you just have a few protein shakes. It would be like becoming Jonny Wilkinson if you just kicked a ball over some posts 3 times a day. And to those people that say he's on steroids, they are actually banned by the International Federation of Bodybuilding. I don't know how stringent their testing is, but don't be so quick to judge.
And to the chap who said he doesn't see the point of being like him: Ronnie is (or rather was) the world's best 8 years running in his chosen field. He's still pretty close to the top at the age of 40. How many people can say that? He's the embodiment of determination, hard work and graft. We could all learn a lot from him, silly voiced catch-phrases aside!
And yes, you'll definitely be allowed to take supplements when you're in. Josh Lewsey advertises Maximuscle by saying "I used to take it from when I was in the army". Obviously you wouldn't be allowed to take steroids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llJn1XqqUsI
I don't envy the job of the chap who has to load and unload the weights.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
And yes, you'll definitely be allowed to take supplements when you're in. Josh Lewsey advertises Maximuscle by saying "I used to take it from when I was in the army". Obviously you wouldn't be allowed to take steroids.
Beware making sweeping statements on the use of supplements. A recent directive from CTC categorically stated they are not necessary. The reason for this is that Recruits were spending a ridiculous amount of money per week during training and not always eating properly, so the promotion of supplements by the Corps is certainly not encouraged. The Army may be different, granted.

I'm fairly certain Creatine is not permitted anyway.

(Happy to stand corrected by one of our serving Royals with up to date info from CTC)

Again, whilst accepting the two issues are not necessarily related, you most definitely do not want to carry excessive muscle bulk or it will hinder you in Commando training - if you pass medical on the BMI scale. Big muscles do not equate to CV fitness & you need to be able to run the distance first, develop upper body second & in proportion.

Whenever you see a "mahooosive" marine, you can bet he developed his muscle mass AFTER Commando training, not before.

- If in doubt "MMM1664" or "RM Recruiting Officer" are the guys to verify.

Reaction score
I don't know if you are forbidden from using supplements during training but I would not bother. The only thing I ever took was some of that Lucozade powder in a pint of water after the bottom field, just to help recover from the session. You will find that you are away so often in the field that taking supplements regularly becomes impossible and a waste of money.
Ninja Stoker is right, Massive Marines put on the muscle after training by lifting the big weights. I am not a particularly big fan of this and prefer to maintain Commando Phys (Running and cardio, press ups, pull ups and sit ups). Marines are not required to be massive blokes, they need endurance based fitness to fight.
Steroids are an illegal drug. If you take them, you will be treated like a drug addict and kicked out of the Corps. We are a zero tolerance drug policy and we keep to it.

et-adams

Reaction score
Supplements schmupplements.

There is a preconception amongst some potentials that big muscles = hard man. PRM's need to grasp that turning up with supplement enchanced muscle mass that isn't relative to your natural weight and/or CV level is not doing themselves any favours.

Getting through Commando Tests involves nothing short of pure endurance, CV and core strength. As far as I know, at no point on the 30miler are recruits asked to stop and Bench Press 150kg.

The advice here is to get the preconceived hollywood 'Marine' out of your head; it's an image thing. Press ups, heaves and sit ups; lots of them are the route to the kind of core strength you need. Get running at all hours of the day, and cycle or row when your legs hurt.

To be effective and beneficial, muscle mass needs to come naturally and be lean, relative to bodyweight. The less mass you have to carry around, the better.

'Sorry Sir, can we stop for five minutes whilst I neck a protein shake'

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
There is a preconception amongst some potentials that big muscles = hard man. PRM's need to grasp that turning up with supplement enchanced muscle mass that isn't relative to your natural weight and/or CV level is not doing themselves any favours.

Getting through Commando Tests involves nothing short of pure endurance, CV and core strength. As far as I know, at no point on the 30miler are recruits asked to stop and Bench Press 150kg.

The advice here is to get the preconceived hollywood 'Marine' out of your head; it's an image thing. Press ups, heaves and sit ups; lots of them are the route to the kind of core strength you need. Get running at all hours of the day, and cycle or row when your legs hurt.

To be effective and beneficial, muscle mass needs to come naturally and be lean, relative to bodyweight. The less mass you have to carry around, the better.

'Sorry Sir, can we stop for five minutes whilst I neck a protein shake'
Spot on & welcome to the site.

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Aye, big muscles can actually hinder and be counter productive.. You need to feed them remember.

Thanks for the proof and confirmation, mate of mine was saying just to build massive.. didn't believe me when I said it's not required *text deleted*.

et-adams

Reaction score
A mate of mine is into his bodybuilding. All image he is. Quite convinced he's God's gift to the physical world.

His 1.5m time of 14.12 spoke quite to the contrary.