Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Swimming in RT

Discussion in 'Training Methods and Diet Suggestions' started by sako27, Aug 2, 2019.

1. sako27

sako27 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Looking for some insight into what kind of stuff goes on in swimming lessons whilst in RT, reason being I understand the BST’s are all done in breastroke. Which is fine I would class myself as a decent breastroke swimmer and also ok at hypoxic swimming, but front crawl on the other hand not so good, although am practicing it very regular and hopefully by time that get into RT it won’t be a issue, however like anything it doesn’t seem to come quickly or easily! Basically how much do i need to worry about my front crawl does it hold people back who aren’t so competent at it or are the training team quite good and willing to work with the boys and get them building up there lenghts at front crawl? Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  2. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

As far as I'm aware all swimming at CTC is done in breast stroke. Try swimming crawl with FFO and weapon and you'll understand why!

Alan

• Like Like x 2
  3. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

All I remember from the few river crossings I had to do on ex is IF you have to actually swim it’s breaststroke.

Do not try and do front crawl when wearing kit. It will wreck you. A good breast stroke is what you need - slow, strong steady movements.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  4. 03092014

03092014 Royal Marines Commando

You do a lot of swimming in Phase 1, especially in the first few weeks from what I remember. You obviously do a lot of breaststroke because you need this for the BST but you also use front crawl a lot too. The PTIs did spend time working with the weaker swimmers but ideally you don't want to put yourself in that position. It just creates added pressure you don't need at that stage.

Swimming circuits in training are not like any circuits you've done before....

Enjoy ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  5. sako27

sako27 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Cheers for the reply’s guys! What could a swimming circuit consist of then roughly? I understand they will vary from time to time

• Like Like x 1
  6. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Pain ?

• Hoofin Hoofin x 4
  7. Zika65

Zika65 Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    I saw a lad training in our local lido with his full kit on doing lengths of breaststroke - he looked pretty worn out. Hard work swimming fully clothed. Maybe think about getting some private lessons.

• Like Like x 1
  8. 03092014

03092014 Royal Marines Commando

To be honest I can't really remember exactly what they consisted of other than being hard work. Don't worry about the exact breakdown of phys sessions you'll find out for yourself when you get to RT.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  9. Zika65

Zika65 Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    From what I gathered from my Nod; most of the time you'll be swimming fully clothed which is hard - that's why it's important to be a competent swimmer. My son did a lot of swim training before he started RT. One of the first things you have to do - to test your nerves - is to fall backwards, head first of a 3 meter diving board. There's a technique to it, but loads either bottled it mid air and landed as a belly flop and some flipped right over . . . Ouch. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Although we cannot comment on individual performances at PRMC, it would indeed be advisable to hone your skills on the correct swim-stroke as it can otherwise lead to problems.

11. Rob20

Rob20 Royal Marines Commando

The swim sessions are awesome. Genuinely one of my favourite bits of phase 1!

But... Just to add abit of drama, I had been a lifeguard and done triathlons before joining and I nearly drowned in some of the sessions. It's brilliant ;)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Take a squiz at this post about breast stroke technique. Simple but sound advice:

https://www.royalmarines.uk/threads/swimming.87071/#post-552937

• Like Like x 2
  13. MEfan19

MEfan19 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Wait, a sort of similar test to that thing they kept doing in SAS Who Dares Wins?

14. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

It looks harder than it is. Ignore the TV drama. Mind over matter.
    If you think you lack confidence in the water, get along to your local pool, speak with staff and get wet.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TheRents

TheRents Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Get some lessons- Swimming is a technical sport - the better you technique, the less energy you expend and the faster and further you will go.
    Our local triathlon club runs a midweek pool session taught by a qualified instructor, to improve technique, see if there is anything near you
    I know that a while ago there was concern at CTC that too many applicants were turning up for PRMC and POC with weak swimming ability
    Don't just turn up and hope to get through on pure will power - very few people choose to drown!

• Like Like x 1
  16. ex killick

ex killick Ex-Matelot

My sentiments exactly.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Let's bring it down to basics Jack! :D:D:D

Alan

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
    • Like Like x 1