Swimming in the marines, and ear pressure

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I was just wondering how intense the swimming is in the Marines. I don't hear much about it. Im a decent swimmer, but Im surprised there are no qualifications to pass on swimming. Do they do a lot of underwater work ?.

My second question has to go with ear pressure. I have sensitive ears. If I go under water like 3 feet, I get intense pain in my ears and my head due to the pressure. Same can happen when flying. Anyone else experience this, and have a fix ?. Will the Marines accept this ??

MasoN

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds nasty, this probably will be a problem, but if you pass thier swimming test at prmc i don't see why it would be a problem.

I'm no expert thats just my point of view

Rob

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Everyones ears hurt when you go underwater its no big deal. Just hold *text deleted* nose n blow.

Rob

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
oh while we are on the subject of swimming anyone got any decent tips on how to get the best from a swimming workout? I dont really seem to get out of breath despite trying hard to push my self.

Gaz

Reaction score
Try doing some interval stuff mate, as if you were doing sprints. Swimm 2 lenghts really fast then do 2 slower pace. If it's a normal size pool it should do the trick! Knackers me and I only go maybe once a week! *text deleted*

Rob

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
yeah I tried it yesterday. It worked aswell, nice one mate :D .
Swimming is a good workout too but i still think running is better.

Gaz

Reaction score
Can't beat the running mate, but it's good if your muscles are aching and gives the legs a rest!

State of Mind

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
First hand experience mate!

Swimming is more the enjoyable part about phys in RT if *text deleted* a good swimmer. Alot of good anaerobic exercises obviously mixed with aerobic such as pressups and squats.

Example of exercise:

In pairs...while *text deleted* mate dives in a swims under water as far as possible (widths) tags the wall and swims back agen as fast as possible u will be doing pressups unti lhe gets back then its his turn

Example 2: (widths agen) in pairs...whillst standing at the side of the pool u take it in turns to swim underwater as far as possible. when u hit the other side u have to push urself under the water and pull out (DONT get out) then psh yaslef under agen and out!

Each of u takes it in turns both of u working down from 10 til u av both done down to 1

hope this helps

SoM

Rob

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
exellent I love swimming under water.