swimming teacher here

chris1988

Reaction score
hi all, im a swimming teacher at the moment and am training to become a royal marine, if you need any help with swimming i will be able to help (if there embarrsing private message me and ill get back to you!)

chrystal19

Reaction score
Awesome. I have just started swimming again as I am looking to join Manchester Triathlon Club. I go 6 times a week, but I don't really know what to do.

At the moment I do:

300m warm up
10 x 100m/3:00
2 x 200m/5:45
1x100m target under two mins
150m warm down

I really like this workout. The other workout I do is just a two mile freestyle. I really need a third workout so I can repeat it twice in one week.

Could you suggest one? Do I need to do drills If I'm just aiming for Triathlon progress? How about 6-10 sets of 200m?

Also when swimming fast freestyle my hands propell me along underwater close to my body. However when swimming slower, my hands/arms sink a fair bit and I'm not as bouyant or streamlined - what's going wrong?

chris1988

Reaction score
heres a set that you could do :-

400m warm up - 100m front crawl swim,100m front crawl drill 100m front crawl pull and 100m front crawl drill,b

1 hungarian rep set

so it goes 50,100m,200m,400m,800m,400m,200m,100m,50m all with 30seconds to 45 seconds rest in between each of the distances.

and cool down for atleast 15mins choice.

you can alter this to fit it all in to the time you have to swim.

i would like to know how you get on with this and to see if we can alter it accordingly.

with triathlon swimming its alot of distance if im correct, so mainly drills to work on you technique such as swimming frontcrawl but before you touch the water touch your shoulder and then stretch forward so you can start the pull again.

it seems with your arms, "sinking" you need to keep your boyancy with you kick, which means you have to kick harder to keep afloat.

hope this information is helpful if its not come back to me and ill give u more information which might help you

chrystal19

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll try that routine with the advice tonight when I go. I'll let you know how I'm getting on. In general how do you train currently - 7:50 for 1.5mile - that's class!

Ipodbob

Reaction score
I've only just got back into to swimming twice a week, i used to be very good as a child but half of thats gone to pot. My tech is fine, apart from with front crawl should my body twist in the water or mainly just my arms and body staying flat ?

Can you give me a a general workout for breast stroke and front crawl please. Im not trying to break records just improve my overall fitness. I can do a 25m 12 - 14 sec length if i go all out, is that any good ? Some sprint training would be useful for my V02 max as well.

I will try the 1 hungarian rep set at some point but what sort of time should i be hitting that in if you could say ?. I am currently swimming for about 45 mins and doing 1 breast stroke then 1 front crawl at a fast pace then the BS to recover ect ect for 30 mins then 10 warm down. Which is about 64 lengths give or take, being a mile.

How did u manage to get you 1.5 mile to 7:50 thats incredible.

chris1988

Reaction score
hi ipodbob,

well your body is ment to rock not twist because everytime you stretch your arms in frontcrawl you body should rock to that side but if its easier dont rock atall because its only usefull to break records but have a go because it could b easier for you, you can only see whats best for you even if it takes 1 whole session its still in the pool!

heres somthing you could be *text deleted* on with for the time being.

warm up: - 100m frontcrawl
100m backstroke

main set:- 4 x 25m alternating frontcrawl and breast stroke ( these should be at 80-90% max)

4 x 50m front crawl and breaststroke (these should be at roughly 60-70%max)

4 x 25m frontcrawl - max effort - have 30seconds rest in between the 25m

1 x 25 m breaststoke - FLAT OUT!!

200m really slowly to get rid of that lactic acid!

try this for about 2 weeks and then time yourself on breaststroke and i think youll be surprised!

14 seconds is very good for a non-competative swimmer

(i say non competative because you dont race regular)

let us know how you get on and ill look to add more to it!

Ipodbob

Reaction score
awesome thanks ill post updates on how i get on thanks a lot.

Taylor.S

Reaction score
do u know what the swimming test involves.. like how many lengths or whatever?

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Any tips on when to breathe during front crawl as I end up swallowing water and not getting much of a breath,
thus making swimming more than a couple of lengths difficult.

Also any tips on how to do butterfly stroke?

Cheers,
Joe.

chris1988

Reaction score
taylor.s do you mean prmc??? i think its just a length or 2 im not completely sure but i would double check that sorry man, im a swimming teacher *text deleted* not a marine :(

chris1988

Reaction score
hi JM745,

mainly kick harder *text deleted* it increases you boyancy and so you should be able to get more air if you more boyant, also if you not rock your body to the side you want to breathe on. this is simply done by rocking the hips! if none of this works then simply just move your head to the side more - i no its common sence to do this but just try it.

please get back to me if you need any more help!

also with butterfly you must push down on your chest and bring it back up for your kick you legs and arms should follow if not, then move *text deleted* hips up and down, with arms bring them over your shoulders and then place them into the water and pull as far back as possible and then bring them over again!

hope this all helps

chris

Ipodbob

Reaction score
Hi chris i tried that routine you gave me tonight and it ended up being about 25 mins worth in the pool including warm up and warm down.

My breast stroke length was 19 seconds i think and i didnt time a front crawl one. Wtih the 4 x 50m front crawl and breaststroke do i do frontcrawl first then breast stroke or alternate between them during the 200m ? Also between say 8 laps of FC and BS and moving on to the 70% stuff should i have a break or go straight into them ?

I think the routine is really good but maybe after the sprint laps have a 100m recover swim or something then do some more 80-90% stuff but im not really sure, but i felt like i could make more session out of it.

How does this sound ?

warm up: -
100m frontcrawl
100m breastkstroke

main set:- 4 x 25m alternating frontcrawl and breast stroke 80-90%

4 x 50m front crawl and breaststroke 60-70%

4 x 25m frontcrawl - max effort - have 30seconds rest in between the 25m

1 x 25m breaststoke - FLAT OUT!!

4 x 25m beast stroke recovery

4 x 50m front crawl / breast stroke 60-70%

4x 25m front crawl 100% / slow breaststroke 50%

200m warm down

thanks for any help much appreciated

Taylor.S

Reaction score
*text deleted* i meant the prmc.. wow thats easy just to see if u can actually swim then *text deleted*. i do 45 length warm up so that should be easy *text deleted*

Paul-M

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I found doing the front crawl in 50m's my triceps really get a trashing is this normal or is it my technique using the wrong muscles ? Feels like im doing 20 press ups a length haha.
*text deleted* yeh once I did an arms session back when I did weights, then tried to have a swim, felt like my triceps were *text deleted* fall off haha.
However if you haven't done anything before I guess it's just your arms getting tired, as you get better and fitter it should go away.

chris1988

Reaction score
hi ipodbob, sorry that the session was soo short, as i didnt really understand you level in swimming, its hard to guess how people are at.

ye do front crawl first and the move on to breast stroke bt ye as soon as your ready to go you should start, but dont take too long i would suggest sey 1-2 mins between each set!

but ye that seems fine try and do say 1 full out breast stroke at the start (after warm up) and 1 full out breast stroke at the end (before cool down) and see what times you get! if you hitting the same then you can increase the number of meters you can do in a session and what ill do in the mean time is ill send you a private message on a session that you could do. it could take me a while to get the sort of thing your after!

chris1988

Reaction score
rite lads how we doin on the swimming side any1 need any help

Ipodbob

Reaction score
nah my swimming has improved a lot since i got the routines off you so thanks for that great help. Just need to improve me running as its gash as *text deleted**text deleted*. *text deleted*

4 miles at a 7min 45s average pace is *text deleted**text deleted*e, altho i done it without breakfast and a 1 mile warm up. still a bit :frown: