Swimming

Shiloh79

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Right folks as we all know its good to vary workouts and layer exercises when training on the lead upto prmc & RT, therefore enabling us to build up our stamina, endurance & CV.

Basically for the last 2wks i've only pretty much swam twice a day (5/6days per week), roughly 1000meters breast stroke each session (40 x 25m lengths), each lasting 30/40mins long. I've only done a few long slow runs (7/8miles around a 9min mile pace). No sit ups, press ups & pull ups in the last week or so ....

Basically how do you think this will affect my overall fitness ??? Swimming is an overall body workout & great for CV but What are the pluses and negatives of my training over the last 2wks. Prior to this i had a pretty intense training regime mapped out.

Shiloh.

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Last year when i had a PRMC date but had shin splints i was swimming most days around 2000m nonestop front crawl.

Back on it now but only a couple of times a week and at 1000m . Its a nice workout,although i dont rate it for overall fitness. I dont feel i can push myself to the same limit as on a bike or rower for example, although a very confident swimmer,i cant get myself to that absolute limit,without nearly drowning *text deleted*.

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Agreed. You swim as hard as you can... but you need to rest before you drown, and I think it's at that point you cannot quite push yourself that extra mile. Instead when your running, you can slowly jog.... drag your feet a bit, and still keep pressing on. When I swim to my limit doing front crawl, right before I feel Im *text deleted* die I switch into a breast stroke, as that is a good rest. I can't front crawl for very long anyway, I dislocated my shoulder about 3 years ago, and after awhile it start's to hurt.

Shiloh79

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Interesting replys lads, cheers! Though the general vibe from you all is that while swimming is ok, i'd be better served doing other things :question: each to there own i suppose :thumbsup: but i still view breast stroke as a better swimming stroke while training for the marines.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I'm certainly no fitness guru, but was advised by the PT staff at CTC that the best swimming-stroke for all-round CV exercise is breast stroke as it works all your limbs, which in turn are supported in the water. You can gauge the effectiveness of your workout by how "heavy" your limbs feel when you leave the water.

A good way to "rest" in-between a series of breast-stroke lengths is to flip onto your back for the odd length, without using your arms, but keep plugging away rather than stopping to rest.

Shiloh79

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I'm certainly no fitness guru, but was advised by the PT staff at CTC that the best swimming-stroke for all-round CV exercise is breast stroke as it works all your limbs, which in turn are supported in the water. You can gauge the effectiveness of your workout by how "heavy" your limbs feel when you leave the water.

A good way to "rest" in-between a series of breast-stroke lengths is to flip onto your back for the odd length, without using your arms, but keep plugging away rather than stopping to rest.

Cheers Ninja, thats exactly what i've been doing (swimming breast stroke) :thumbsup: prior to this i've been training to the point where i might have risked injury so decided to swim for a few weeks, some may say that i should be doing more on the lead up to RT but really dont *text deleted* risk any sort of injury at all!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Yep, all too often you get guys "breaking" themselves in between PRMC and Recruit Training.

Most are aware in which areas they need to develop, despite passing there's always room for improvement. The thing to do, as you correctly are doing, is to avoid battering yourself to the point of injury.

I've heard horror tales of people Fell-Running in their boots carrying daft weights in a haversack - if ever there was a recipe for injury the only thing more certain to injure is a midnight run the wrong way down he outside lane of the M25 dressed in black.