swimming

CommandoJ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
hi all

going to start swimming once a week or maybe 2 dependent on the opening times etc... blah blah blah

anywhom, what do you guys reccommend doing, in that iam a good swimmer anyway just looking for some reccommended training advice for swimming e.g. like how many lengths to do etc... well this is the main one like!

so any help would be gratefull,

i go at 8pm so get replying!!

:D

Cj

Brucey1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I mix mine up. one day I'll do between a mile and 2k front crawl (average pace and maybe blast the last few). On another day i'll do 10-12 sets of 100metre sprints with a slow 50 metre breast stroke imbetween as a recovery. Dunno if its any good but i like doing it. The only problem with the longer distance slower swims is the boredom...jesus, there's *text deleted* be an underwater iPOD out there somewhere...I'd also like a few suggestions on some other routines please

SJ55

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Just last week I tried a 'pyramid routine' for my swimming sessions. You can tailor it for your own purposes depending on how long you *text deleted* be in the pool but this is my rountine.

Basically you have a very short break inbetween each set of lengths, you swim 1 length, then 2 lengths, then 3 lengths, then 4 etc. up to 8 lengths. so in total by then you have swam 36 lengths. Then you count back down starting at 7, then 6, then 5 etc. back down to 1. Make sure you keep the break short and sweet between each set of lengths.

so it goes 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

In total you have swam 64 lengths so if your swimming a 25m pool thats 1.6km (1mile) and it made things a bit more interesting than just counting from 1 to 64! But you can add or take away from that so you could just go up to 5 then back down or up to 12 then back down.

Hope this helps in releaving the boredom!

Steve

Shibby

Reaction score
i know you'll be swimming breast stroke most of the time at ctc so it goes without saying that its worth putting some time in on that stroke. However, a good training programme i use for stamina is (warm up) 200m fc, 200m pull, 50 right arm only, 50 left only, 100 legs only, 200 bs. (main set) 400m fc gradually increasing pace to almost a sprint for last 50, 400m pull (steady pace), 200m bs. (cool down) 100m fc slowish, 100m pull slow. should give you a good session. (fc=front crawl, bs=breast stroke, pull=using pool buoy between legs- arms only). hope this helps, alternate it with a shorter session with the warm up only then 10 sets of 50 metre sprints with 15 secs rest between each one.

Brucey1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
nice one. i'll give some of that atry. looks a bot similar to the swimming from the suggested POC schedule on here. Its amazing how much more effort is needed when you're only using certain limbs.

CommandoJ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
cheers guys,

im *text deleted* go with the pyramid only because it easy to remember, just don't like mixing it up with like 2 x 2 100m fc then etc.... just i like to swim and something simple to follow.

thanks for the quick replies, got something to work to now :D :D rather than just doing X lengths.

CJ

pcampbell87

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
A very good exercise I like to do in the pool is to swim a length breaststroke, get out, bang out a set of 20 pressups, swim back front crawl and get out again for another set of pressups.

If your pool is deep enough try replacing the second set of pressups with 20 'heavies' which is where you hold onto the side, bob your head underwater so your arms are fully extended and then launch yourself out of the water (without using your legs) so that your waist touches the top of the side.

This exercise is used at CTCRM and I never realised a swim could be so intensive until I had done this for about 20 minutes.

edited to add:

At CTCRM you swim widths rather than lengths as the pool is quite big. Also 20 pressups/heavies gets very hard after a while as you are constantly using your arms. If you are struggling try sets of 10 instead.

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
i'd do that but i would look a bit of a kn*b jumping out the pool and doing 20 press ups, and i would also look like i couldn't get out the pool at the deep end if i were to do the heavies *text deleted*

Mnemic5

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Just last week I tried a 'pyramid routine' for my swimming sessions. You can tailor it for your own purposes depending on how long you *text deleted* be in the pool but this is my rountine.

Basically you have a very short break inbetween each set of lengths, you swim 1 length, then 2 lengths, then 3 lengths, then 4 etc. up to 8 lengths. so in total by then you have swam 36 lengths. Then you count back down starting at 7, then 6, then 5 etc. back down to 1. Make sure you keep the break short and sweet between each set of lengths.

so it goes 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

In total you have swam 64 lengths so if your swimming a 25m pool thats 1.6km (1mile) and it made things a bit more interesting than just counting from 1 to 64! But you can add or take away from that so you could just go up to 5 then back down or up to 12 then back down.

Hope this helps in releaving the boredom!

Steve
A very good method

Dodger

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
We used to use Pyramids when swimming for town/county, awesome sessions.

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Typically when I swim in my local pool I do 1 length front crawl, 1 length breast stroke and repeat for the whole mile and at the end I do 10 widths underwater just to make life that little bit harder for myself.