Swimming

Craigh88

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Have a slight knee niggle from running, possible start of patella tendonitis although it's getting better daily as i caught it early. Physio im seeing said lay off the runnning atleast for a few weeks but said do some swimming to keep the phys ticking over. My knee pain from running was below the kneecap at the front.
Odd thing is i've started swimming, im strong at breaststroke so concentrate on that more than anything but the pain now seems to have shifted from front of knee to inside of knee on inside part of leg. Seems like it clicks when i do the breaststroke movement with my legs. May just switch to front crawl and if anyone has any ideas which is best for your fitness please offer your ideas up.
Any ideas?

VTomasi

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Have a slight knee niggle from running, possible start of patella tendonitis although it's getting better daily as i caught it early. Physio im seeing said lay off the runnning atleast for a few weeks but said do some swimming to keep the phys ticking over. My knee pain from running was below the kneecap at the front.
Odd thing is i've started swimming, im strong at breaststroke so concentrate on that more than anything but the pain now seems to have shifted from front of knee to inside of knee on inside part of leg. Seems like it clicks when i do the breaststroke movement with my legs. May just switch to front crawl and if anyone has any ideas which is best for your fitness please offer your ideas up.
Any ideas?
Breast stroke is not nearly as good cardio as front crawl, so right off, you're right in thinking to change to front crawl.

It's useful to work on technique a make sure you're swimming efficiently.

After that, consider your breathing. If in the beginning you must take a breath every stroke, work on improving it every 3rd/4th stroke. This taxes your cadiovascular sytem more.

Then it's just a case of being creative with your swimming workouts. Intervals are generally the way forward, maybe an endurance swim every now and then.

Things like 50m, 10sec rest, repeat x 8. 100, 200, 300m intervals with a defined rest period between. Pyramids. Always best to switch it up.

Craigh88

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Breast stroke is not nearly as good cardio as front crawl, so right off, you're right in thinking to change to front crawl.

It's useful to work on technique a make sure you're swimming efficiently.

After that, consider your breathing. If in the beginning you must take a breath every stroke, work on improving it every 3rd/4th stroke. This taxes your cadiovascular sytem more.

Then it's just a case of being creative with your swimming workouts. Intervals are generally the way forward, maybe an endurance swim every now and then.

Things like 50m, 10sec rest, repeat x 8. 100, 200, 300m intervals with a defined rest period between. Pyramids. Always best to switch it up.
Also i get no twinge in my knee with front crawl, im just hopeless at it as i assume my breathing is all wrong and i can just about do a length ha! Going to try pacing it a bit more tonight and see.

alfaholic

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I twinged my knee while doing breast stroke with poor technique and on a run the following day it completely went and I had knee tendon bursitis - bad times.
On crutches for 2 weeks and can't put any weight on my knee

On the plus side banging out a lot of press-ups!
Never had any problems with my knee previous so moral of the story is contrary to popular belief you CAN get injured swimming.

Yossarian

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
im just hopeless at it as i assume my breathing is all wrong and i can just about do a length ha! Going to try pacing it a bit more tonight and see.
I'm the same buddy - can swim breastroke for hours wihtout any trouble, but I really struggle with front crawl and it's obviously down to technique. I can only do a few lengths and I'm knakered!

Vtom, I know it's worth having a look on the net/youtube for correct technique which I will do, but are there any basic things to remember to ensure you're doing it right?

Craigh88

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I'm the same buddy - can swim breastroke for hours wihtout any trouble, but I really struggle with front crawl and it's obviously down to technique. I can only do a few lengths and I'm knakered!

Vtom, I know it's worth having a look on the net/youtube for correct technique which I will do, but are there any basic things to remember to ensure you're doing it right?
U know what im sick of trying to self diagnose myself with so many different niggles you pick up in training... i thought i had arthiritis, turns out it was my tendon... now im getting similar symptoms to that birsitis, maybe its just the fact im using muscles i havent used for a long time!! Making me paranoid this marines lark ha!

alfaholic

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I can't believe how wrong I was as regards to breast stroke technique. I just jumped in and started flapping around after not swimming since school ( I'm 28 ) and here I am sat on my sofa with knee bursitis feeling sorry for myself.

Big sigh......

Craigh88

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I can't believe how wrong I was as regards to breast stroke technique. I just jumped in and started flapping around after not swimming since school ( I'm 28 ) and here I am sat on my sofa with knee bursitis feeling sorry for myself.

Big sigh......
Same except i caught it all early so i went swimming yesterday with hardly any discomfort! Technique is everything... and i feel like a gliding fairy when doing front crawl now rather than a balldozer!