TA transfer question and info on RMR London

stillborne

Reaction score
Alright Chaps.
Well I'm new to this site and have to say it's been quite helpful already.
I have a few questions which I hope you guys will be able to help me with.

1. Is it possible to transfer from the TA into RMR? I'm aware that these are two separate organisation but I've read somewhere that there's a fast track course available that allows one to obtain the green beret in 6 months!

2.Does anyone know when the first selection weekend for RMR London, Portsmouth detachment will be in 2009?

I've just joined the TA infantry, and will commence recuit training soon. I'm not currently fit enough for the RMR hence my decision to wait and try for 2009 entry. I really have to work on my running fitness, press ups and sit ups I find very easy. Thanks in advance

PS. How many miles of running should I aim for, to comfortably pass selection and subsequently gain the green lid?cheers

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Hi welcome.

If you are a fully trained TA infantryman, there maybe certain elements of RMR training which you may not need to repeat, however the advice is simply join the RMR first rather than repeat it. If you're in the TA for a year before joining the RMR, then your green beret will have already taken 12 months before you even start.

The RMR units often have a Holding Troop which you may join to help you physically prepare for Selection (or RMR PRMC).

To pass RMR selection comfortably the same physical standards as regular PRMC apply - so you should be dong at least three, 3 mile runs per week for the 4 week period leading up to selection & banging out a minimum of 5 back-handed pull-ups, 40-60 close-arm press-ups & 60-80 knees together sit-ups every other day for 4 weeks before attending selection also.

Good luck.

stillborne

Reaction score
Cheers Ninja for your quick reply. I anticipate that I'll be a fully trained infanteer by December. My reason for joining the TA first is to allow time to build up my running fitness as well as COMMENCE swim lessons!
Do you know if I can attend holding troop while I'm still with the TA?cheers