Tabata Workout Question

Al101

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I was researching about this Tabata workout, and I'd like to try it out, but I'm actually confused about when to do it...I mean, I keep seeing either "Give it one day of rest", then somewhere else I see, give it 2 or 3 days...so I'm pretty confused right now, so if anyone does this...can you shed some light in this?

I'm trying to lose a few pounds right now, so I was thinking if this was... any good at all.
Based on if you need to ONLY rest 1 day for after each Tabata workout, would it okay to, for example:

Mon - Tabata
Tues - Reg Cardio
Wed - Tabata
Thurs - Reg Cardio
Fri - Tabata
Sat - Reg Cardio
Sun - Rest

My cardio isn't that good *text deleted*, but I'm slowly improving every day. Would this be a good idea, or would adding some hill sprints there would be good as well?

And IF this is good, would Tabata be the only cardio I'd have to do the whole day? I mean, 10 minutes sounds...too...little?

Thanks for any help.

Lead Poison1981

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I was researching about this Tabata workout, and I'd like to try it out, but I'm actually confused about when to do it...I mean, I keep seeing either "Give it one day of rest", then somewhere else I see, give it 2 or 3 days...so I'm pretty confused right now, so if anyone does this...can you shed some light in this?

I'm trying to lose a few pounds right now, so I was thinking if this was... any good at all.
Based on if you need to ONLY rest 1 day for after each Tabata workout, would it okay to, for example:

Mon - Tabata
Tues - Reg Cardio
Wed - Tabata
Thurs - Reg Cardio
Fri - Tabata
Sat - Reg Cardio
Sun - Rest

My cardio isn't that good *text deleted*, but I'm slowly improving every day. Would this be a good idea, or would adding some hill sprints there would be good as well?

And IF this is good, would Tabata be the only cardio I'd have to do the whole day? I mean, 10 minutes sounds...too...little?

Thanks for any help.
Alright mate, tabata is good but I wouldn't dedicate a whole session to it as it is only 4 minutes long. I use it as a 'finisher', meaning that I blast out a tabata at the end of my workout. The beauty of it is it can be incorporated Into anything. I do tabata boxing, rope climbing, push ups etc etc. Also, depending on your current level of fitness, I wouldn't listen too much to the 2-3 days rest period. Yeah, maybe if you're starting from scratch but I do easily 4 sessions of tabatas a week (2 days on, 1 day off) and I've never experienced any problems. But just see what works for you. Hill sprints are massively effective with improving running pace and stamina so when you feel confident taking to the hills, do it. Just be prepared for some pain ha!

Also, with regards to weight-loss. Don't fall into the trap of just doing cardio. I've lost a fair bit of weight myself (6 stone) and without a shadow of doubt the most effective way of losing weight is by doing resistance workouts. Push Ups, Pull Ups, Lunges, Squats, Burpees etc etc. Also use weights (dumbells, barbells, kettlebells etc). Keep the intensity high and, with a clean diet, you will lose weight.

MacheteMeetsBiscuit

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
If you're doing it right you shouldn't be able to cope with doing cardio in-between. You should feel sick and possibly even dizzy every time you do it. I live by Tabata and run once a week now but definitely feel fitter for it. Maybe before PRMC and RT I'll add a couple more runs but this works well for me right now.

Already posted it today but this is my plan as an example:

Mon: Rest (or sometimes some Handball)
Tues: Tabata
Wed: Rest
Thurs: Tabata
Fri: Rest
Sat: Tabata
Sun: 5-mile run with all uphill sections sprinted

Do at least 5 exercises per workout and it will be sufficient. If you want to work both cardio and muscular endurance, focus the majority of your exercises on Burpees, Mountain Climbers, Squat Thrusts, Bear-Crawl Sprints (bear crawl as fast as poss for 20 secs, 8 times) and so on. Cardio worked, press-ups worked (do burpees with a press-up), maybe cool down with some plank and it's a full body hangout!

S

stokey_14

For weight loss read diet. Training is a very small % of weight loss.

Tabata is great, However as said only 4 mins long if done correctly.

It was first used on Olympic speed skaters (some of the move explosive/strongest legs about) and they tried it with front squats, the team where reportedly wiped out after just one round of it.

Use a weight you can hit roughly 8 reps per 20 second block for maximum affect, to much weight and you?ll fail/have to rack it, to little isn?t as bad but you want enough weight to stimulate a optimal training effect.

Lots of lads do a hybrid of tabata on here that is to say not strictly tabata and there is a lot of merit in doing this too. They might do 3-4-5 rounds of it with less demanding weight/movements.

Use it sparingly 3 sessions a week to me is over kill, there is so much more out there to use and benefit from.

You can also as said chuck a round on the end of a run/circuit/strength sesh etc as a finisher.

B/w squats, burpiees, press ups, punch outs etc are all good options.

Stokey

Al101

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Thanks for the answers. I'm kinda bugged right now because I had written a long response and stupid Internet Explorer seems to have an amazingly annoying problem that does not allow me to log in, and when I pressed Reply, everything was erased. Switched to Google Chrome, worked perfectly. Now...onto the..topic.

Currently, I do the RM's Circuit from the website, but I have added Burpees instead of Box Jumps and Planks in the end of each set. I'm not sure how I could do the Tabata weights with this, or even weight lifting at the gym with this schedule. The days I do this are the same as recommended: Mon/Tues/Thurs/Fri/Sat.

Based on the Tabata being a "finisher", would you say this is better for a "Tabata Day" ? 20min Cardio + Tabata? Because if I also added in the Hill Sprints, my workout schedule would look like this:

Mon - AM: 20min CV + Tabata. PM: Circuit
Tues - AM: 30min CV. PM: Circuit
Wed - AM: 20min CV + Tabata. PM: REST
Thurs - AM: 30min CV. PM: Circuit
Fri - AM: 20min CV + Tabata. PM: Circuit
Sat - AM: Hill Sprints. PM: Circuit
Sun - REST

Do you think that workout looks good enough until PRMC?
I've also found a hill near my house which looks good enough to do this on, just don't know the exact size.

I also do tests every month to see where I'm at and I do eat healthy.

Thanks for the help!

S

stokey_14

Hey guys,

Thanks for the answers. I'm kinda bugged right now because I had written a long response and stupid Internet Explorer seems to have an amazingly annoying problem that does not allow me to log in, and when I pressed Reply, everything was erased. Switched to Google Chrome, worked perfectly. Now...onto the..topic.

Currently, I do the RM's Circuit from the website, but I have added Burpees instead of Box Jumps and Planks in the end of each set. I'm not sure how I could do the Tabata weights with this, or even weight lifting at the gym with this schedule. The days I do this are the same as recommended: Mon/Tues/Thurs/Fri/Sat.

Based on the Tabata being a "finisher", would you say this is better for a "Tabata Day" ? 20min Cardio + Tabata? Because if I also added in the Hill Sprints, my workout schedule would look like this:

Mon - AM: 20min CV + Tabata. PM: Circuit
Tues - AM: 30min CV. PM: Circuit
Wed - AM: 20min CV + Tabata. PM: REST
Thurs - AM: 30min CV. PM: Circuit
Fri - AM: 20min CV + Tabata. PM: Circuit
Sat - AM: Hill Sprints. PM: Circuit
Sun - REST

Do you think that workout looks good enough until PRMC?
I've also found a hill near my house which looks good enough to do this on, just don't know the exact size.

I also do tests every month to see where I'm at and I do eat healthy.

Thanks for the help!

Still think you should only do it 1-2 times a week, there?s lots of other finishers you could incorporate to get a wider range of benefits.

Load carry
21-15-9
50-100 reps of (insert movement)
10 down to 1
isometric holds (plank, ski squats etc)

The options truly are endless.

Stokey