taking sup....

nathan

Reaction score
i am thinking about taking Citrulline Malate which is an energy source and can increase endurance (cardio and press/sit ups) is this a good idea or not
is on www.myprotein.co.uk under endurance
please help as new here
thanks mates

Mackie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
There is absolutely no need to take any kind of supplement, except protein, in my opinion.

I take extra protein simply because it helps my body recover from the frequent training I do, and because it's natural and an adjustment to my diet in line with my change of lifestyle.

Plus that crap that you've linked is bloody expensive. Just go into Holland and Barrett and get some Whey Protein for £11.99 for 900g (when it's on special, I think they're doing a 3 for 2 deal *text deleted*).

As long as you're eating properly and not overdoing your exercise, your body is more than capable of repairing itself using natural means.

Shiloh79

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
The time old question "Should I .. Or Shouldnt I take supplements?"

Taking supplements at the end of the day is down to personal choice, but i have to agree with mackie on this. There is no subsitute for a good well balanced diet and work out and your body should have the nutrients it needs to repait & replenish itself. One thing to remember is the benefit of a supplement stops when you stop taking it, so just bear that in mind! However in saying that you can reap certain benefits from supplemnet usage !

Nathan check this older thread out - http://www.prmc.co.uk/showthread.php?t=319&highlight=supplements

It may gave you a little more insight.

Shiloh.

Joe

Reaction score
I've missed out on a lot of training and have little time to get ready for for RT in may.
I'm currently using a supplement called "Maximuscle Cyclone", i'm sure a few of you may have used/heard of it.

It's basically a combination of creatine,whey protein and other vitamins etc. The main reason for using it is the fact im training six days a week. 3 gym sessions, 3 runs, 2 circuit sessions and 2 half marathons a month. I find using it helps your muscles repair time and gives you that extra boost.

Although i would agree with the other guys, its not essential... a well balanced diet will give you everything you need.

Shiloh79

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I'm currently using a supplement called "Maximuscle Cyclone", i'm sure a few of you may have used/heard of it. It's basically a combination of creatine,whey protein and other vitamins etc. QUOTE]

Mate thats expensive stuff ! :hubbahubba: never used it myself, but have taken creatine and various different proteins. Not to sure creatine is a good idea though, as doing the kinda of training your doing it dehyrdrates you but i suppose if it works for you and your keeping hydrated then go for it fella !

Joe

Reaction score
Yeah man, big bucks... i always get duped in by the big brands.

You may well be right, i always drink plenty of water though - so i SHOULD be ok haha.

Shiloh79

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Yeah man, big bucks... i always get duped in by the big brands.

You may well be right, i always drink plenty of water though - so i SHOULD be ok haha.
No worries dude ! :thumbsup:

Have you tried Myprotien's website? I've used them a number of times before for vitamins & minerals, proteins etc. They have a similar product to Cyclone, its called Hurricane XS http://www.myprotein.co.uk/formulas/our-formulas/hurricane-xs/

Its cheaper that maximuscle £30 for 1.2kg compared to £10.99 for 1kg of the Hurricane stuff. Just thought i'd let you know mate!

Dont get me wrong dude, i'm not promoting anything, just letting you know.

Shiloh.

Joe

Reaction score
Just had a look... looks awesome and is only a quarter of the price. My cyclones nearly run out so i may well have a crack at that next. Cheers fella.

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I use the myprotien whey (Add it to my porridge oats to make chocholate porridge,carbs+protien) and also the Recovery XS (strawberry) after a workout,its awesome with full fat milk!

darvey

Reaction score
just wanted to add my little opinion lads, i am currently suffering as my muscle mass is too high, as was the discussion in the thread i posted about body mass index, some of the supplements you're mentioning are specifically designed to increase muscle mass (cyclone is one of these) protien is great for repair i find the best form of protien is chicken and eggs as they have a higher biological value (meaning the body can use more of it). another quick thing to consider is how these supplements or any others taken on the sly might affect your medicals or any drug test, its worth remembering that drugs banned and frowned upon by the olympic commitee and sports federations can also be banned by law and are therefore more than likely to cause a fail for performance enhancement, and as was mentioned supplements increase performance, so when you stop you lose that benefit. i train the same way i will be expected to in RT or as close as i can imagine it to be. please be careful when considering supplementation lads. "its not always what it says on the tin"

Shiloh79

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Darvey
some of the supplements you're mentioning are specifically designed to increase muscle mass (cyclone is one of these)
another quick thing to consider is how these supplements or any others taken on the sly might affect your medicals or any drug test
Good points mate & everyone should take heed of them! Creatine is the only thing i'd say people should steer clear of while training for the marines as what the potential effects it may have on any drug screening test are on unclear but ultimately its down to indiviual choice, but a good healthy debate is always good to raise awareness and provide decent info!

The only supplements i would currently use are a Multi spectrum mineral & vitamin tablet, Cod liver oil capsual, Gulcosamin tablet & a zinc, magnesium & vitamin B6 capsual. Other than that i aim to have a well balanced diet with plenty of water should.