tattoo before RT

North88

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a tattoo before starting RT next month. Do I have to inform my AFCO if I do?

Geordie_Kev

Reaction score
Get the commando dagger. The training team will see this as true dedication and you will be immune to all thrashings, admin and wet & dry routine.

MacheteMeetsBiscuit

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
It may be a risk if it gets infected etc etc. Plus it's a hassle having to redo the tattoo sheet.

Considering it's there for life, why don't you wait until after RT to get it done? 32 weeks is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Dyss

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Get the commando dagger. The training team will see this as true dedication and you will be immune to all thrashings, admin and wet & dry routine.
I long for the day someone rocks up with an RM Tattoo!!

North88

Reaction score
It may be a risk if it gets infected etc etc. Plus it's a hassle having to redo the tattoo sheet.

Considering it's there for life, why don't you wait until after RT to get it done? 32 weeks is nothing in the grand scheme of things.
Both sound advice, but I've decided to wait. Don't want to create any needless problems for myself, for the sake of a tattoo. Cheers lads and Geordie_Kev.

Alex.T

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
out of curiosity, what tattoo was you thinking of getting mate?

VTomasi

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I understand that people want to avoid unnecessary problems, but the tattoo rules are quite clear and if you head to your AFCO, declare your intentions and your desired design, there should be no problem in getting it done.

jable1066

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I had one done just before PRMC. After PRMC I went in to the AFCO and asked if I could have a new proforma and they just said we could sort it out at the RT brief. Like Vito said as long as it's in accordance with the rules I couldn't foresee a problem.

North88

Reaction score
out of curiosity, what tattoo was you thinking of getting mate?
not entirely sure bud, it was going to involve that ripped skin effect. Just wasn't sure what to have within the rip if you know what I mean. Probably another good reason not to get one at the moment.

If I do manage to pass out and am still keen on getting one, I think the ripped skin effect would go well with the globe and laurel or commando dagger. What you think?

Alex.T

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
not entirely sure bud, it was going to involve that ripped skin effect. Just wasn't sure what to have within the rip if you know what I mean. Probably another good reason not to get one at the moment.

If I do manage to pass out and am still keen on getting one, I think the ripped skin effect would go well with the globe and laurel or commando dagger. What you think?
A lad on my PRMC had a tattoo with the ripped skin effect... he had it on his chast/stomach a big british flag with all the ripped skin. it was amazing & it wasnt even finished.

me personally i like back pieces personally but like you said its what to get.

if i pass out the first thing im doing is getting one to do with the marines.

North88

Reaction score
I thought about the George Cross, but I heard it was possible for tattoos of that nature stopping you from getting certain roles within the core.

j05h94

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score

I long for the day someone rocks up with an RM Tattoo!!
Remember that Mike Golden lad? Showed up for para training with the para cap badge tattooed on his chest, he then got discharged in week 10 of training.

Alex.T

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I thought about the George Cross, but I heard it was possible for tattoos of that nature stopping you from getting certain roles within the core.
god knows mate!! we will know more when we have been down there for a while.

what prmc was you on? were in the same troop for RT.

North88

Reaction score
Remember that Mike Golden lad? Showed up for para training with the para cap badge tattooed on his chest, he then got discharged in week 10 of training.
Yeah obviously earn the right to get it beforehand.

Alex.T

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
NO WAY? :uglyhammer::bully:

VTomasi

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
if i pass out the first thing im doing is getting one to do with the marines.
I believe it is frowned upon to get the G&L tattooed before you have completed a tour of duty.

You are referring to SF roles. Certain distinguishable marks (i.e. tattoos), could prove a bar to SF.

North88

Reaction score
god knows mate!! we will know more when we have been down there for a while.

what prmc was you on? were in the same troop for RT.
Did PRMC on the 28th February, can't wait mate. Hows the prep going?