Tattoos: if you have one, why did u get it and what does it mean?

Dragonsden

Reaction score
If you have a tattoo why did you get it and what does it symbolise?And only If your comfortable send a pic of it but dont feel pressured

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I’ve been obsessed with tattoos since I was about 12. Reading Kerrang magazine and listening to metal and punk religiously does that to you. So obviously as soon as I was 18 I wanted inked. Couldn’t afford a full sleeve so obviously had to go for something smaller. And looking back I’m glad I couldn’t afford a massive piece because it would be cringey and emo. I ended up getting some gash yin yang design on my shoulder. My next one, I wound up getting one of those Chad as hell nautical stars on my back. Thought it was cool at the time. Fast forward a few years and I got the yin yang covered, and the star will be covered soon. I have one sleeve and a couple of others dotted about, and want to get my other forearm done. The sleeve is sort of life and death themed, the tree based on yggdrasil on my shoulder then like mountains rolling into grasslands and skulls along the bottom. There’s more in there but basically moral of the story is, don’t get them young, use a good artist and save up and make sure you know what you want.

OddPikeFromCrimsonCity.

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
If you have a tattoo why did you get it and what does it symbolise?And only If your comfortable send a pic of it but dont feel pressured
(CW) Someone i knew, had ptsd from his childhood, he then turned drugs and started to self h*rm etc. Hes now two years clean and each year he gets a line tatted on his wrist over where he used to scar, and each line represents one year of being clean.
He does regret it and does think its cringy, but the tatoo guy does it for free every year because he knew what he went thru

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Do not play cards for tats when you're drinking lads. (gen)

Learnt this the hard way when working for a few months at a party hostel in Thailand when several RM were passing through, by sheer coincidence including a lad I'd been in training with that made sure I wasn't allowed to escape any of their, erm, "antics".

All been mega helpful in me rejoining and become decent mates in the end, but I don't think my backside has forgiven the tattoo needles or flip flops just yet.

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
To answer the thread though, got both arms fairly inked now. One arm is the 'serious' arm where I only get good-quality black and white artwork done by proper artists, got a kind of Nordic/exploratory theme going on (ships, compasses, forests, the kraken etc).

The other arm is the 'tells a story' arm. Mostly HORRENDOUS cheap tattoos gathered around Asia/S.America, each loosely linked to my previous career in the adventure industry worldwide. Each tattoo on its own looks pretty shoddy but I quite like that each one has a story behind it and all kind of link to each other.

J9R4W

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I'm going to sound like a massive *numpty* by asking this - but do certain tatts exclude you from serving in SF? I'm not saying I want to join UKSF (what would I know about it as a civilian?) but I wouldn't want to limit my opportunities if I did want to do that in the future. Cheers.

Last edited:

highland_blue89

Reaction score
To answer the thread though, got both arms fairly inked now. One arm is the 'serious' arm where I only get good-quality black and white artwork done by proper artists, got a kind of Nordic/exploratory theme going on (ships, compasses, forests, the kraken etc).

The other arm is the 'tells a story' arm. Mostly HORRENDOUS cheap tattoos gathered around Asia/S.America, each loosely linked to my previous career in the adventure industry worldwide. Each tattoo on its own looks pretty shoddy but I quite like that each one has a story behind it and all kind of link to each other.

My story aint too dissimilar. One arm was done by a pro; full Japanese style sleeve. The other arm I let a mate who was an up and coming artist do what he wanted on. None of the tattoos he did is actually bad, but its just pretty incomplete. Which is annoying seeing as he lives in LA now.

highland_blue89

Reaction score
I'm going to sound like a massive *numpty* by asking this - but do certain tatts exclude you from serving in SF? I'm not saying I want to join UKSF (what would I know about it as a civilian?) but I wouldn't want to limit my opportunities if I did want to do that in the future. Cheers.

I'm no expert, but i'm sure it would have to be pretty controversial for it not to be allowed.

Ant Middleton is covered and i'm pretty sure he was when he was still serving?

Chelonian

Reaction score
I'm no expert, but i'm sure it would have to be pretty controversial for it not to be allowed.

Ant Middleton is covered and i'm pretty sure he was when he was still serving?
Back in the day a bloke of my acquaintance had Airborne Warrior tattooed in lurid letters across the back of his shoulders. This sat just above a mahoosive Pegasus tattoo.

Would this have been compatible with his desire to engage in covert intelligence work within the civilian population of South Armagh?

I suggested to him that he introduce some humour by adding another small tattoo:
Ah, you got me there so you have!

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Not a stupid question.

It depends on what it is and where it is. Any tattoo is a visual identifier. Some could be explained away, or hidden away.
Ant Middleton didn’t do time in Northern Ireland, as opposed to Andy Mcnab. That’s why Mcnab hides his face.

I know of lads trying to join SRR who were allegedly denied because of glaringly Obvious tattoos that stuck out and were memorable.

Best option is not to get any tattoos if you have aspirations of SF.

I know a few lads with a full blown back pieces of the globe and laurels. Some love it and I know a couple that hate it, especially when on holiday, on a beach somewhere with the wife and kids. They get quite self conscious about it.

J9R4W

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Not a stupid question.

It depends on what it is and where it is. Any tattoo is a visual identifier. Some could be explained away, or hidden away.
Ant Middleton didn’t do time in Northern Ireland, as opposed to Andy Mcnab. That’s why Mcnab hides his face.

I know of lads trying to join SRR who were allegedly denied because of glaringly Obvious tattoos that stuck out and were memorable.

Best option is not to get any tattoos if you have aspirations of SF.

I know a few lads with a full blown back pieces of the globe and laurels. Some love it and I know a couple that hate it, especially when on holiday, on a beach somewhere with the wife and kids. They get quite self conscious about it.
Okay cool, makes sense. Is SRR Special Reconnaissance Regiment? I can understand that I read that they do undercover/surveillance work so obvious tattoos could make you stand out.

Chelonian

Reaction score
I can understand that I read that they do undercover/surveillance work so obvious tattoos could make you stand out.
It's not just consequences while in service. Like chlamydia tats are for life.

In recent years a UK citizen was arrested in a South American country for the minor (in that jurisdiction) offence of possessing a firearm without a permit.

Because he had some military tattoos the charge was escalated to espionage and plotting to stage a coup to overthrow the government. Tats can spook people.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
It's not just consequences while in service. Like chlamydia tats are for life.

In recent years a UK citizen was arrested in a South American country for the minor (in that jurisdiction) offence of possessing a firearm without a permit.

Because he had some military tattoos the charge was escalated to espionage and plotting to stage a coup to overthrow the government. Tats can spook people.
Even taking military kit on an adventure holiday is enough to get people spooked.