Teenager Aspiring to join the RM.

drgraphics

Reaction score
Heya.

Been using this forum for a while now just for on and off enquiries / questions relating to RM training. My names Dan and I'm a 16 year old aspiring to join the royal marines in the future.

Currently my training statistics are;
1 mile run; 07:03.
Max RM press-ups; 40.
Max situps; 50.

Ain't done many pullups since ain't got access to a gym yet. Just focusing on my running with 1.5miles and just getting my core strength up for now. Please let me know what you think of my current statistics and any advice you can give, feel free

drgraphics

Reaction score
Titles meant to say, Aspiring teenager wanting to join the RM's! Apologies. Can't edit the title it seems.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Heya.

Been using this forum for a while now just for on and off enquiries / questions relating to RM training. My names Dan and I'm a 16 year old aspiring to join the royal marines in the future.

Currently my training statistics are;
1 mile run; 07:03.
Max RM press-ups; 40.
Max situps; 50.

Ain't done many pullups since ain't got access to a gym yet. Just focusing on my running with 1.5miles and just getting my core strength up for now. Please let me know what you think of my current statistics and any advice you can give, feel free

Hello welcome!

Are those scores to the beep?

Also if I was you I would get practising on the pull ups if you can buy one of the door pull up bars if possible that screw between the door can get them for £20 in argos reason I say this is if you can't do them they do take a while to train to get used to them!.

Other than that not bad scores! When you thinking of applying in the future?

drgraphics

Reaction score
Hello welcome!

Are those scores to the beep?

Also if I was you I would get practising on the pull ups if you can buy one of the door pull up bars if possible that screw between the door can get them for £20 in argos reason I say this is if you can't do them they do take a while to train to get used to them!.

Other than that not bad scores! When you thinking of applying in the future?
I've got one of those door pullup bars, however my doorframe is pretty old and isn't strong enough to hold my weight on it pulling up and down etcetera, unfortunately. None of the other doors in my house fit the size of the pullup bar either.

I was thinking of applying in December, January time. Not 100% certain yet, still just training.

And nope, the score's aren't to the bleep but they're pretty exact with the same time spaces etcetera. Are you also applying mate?

drgraphics

Reaction score
Are there are football pitches near you? Goals are free pull up bars
Not near me. I'd have to run about 3 mile to use them, which isn't that bad. There is also monkeybars I think, it's full of kids half the time though which is offputting.

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
3 mile run there, press ups sit ups pulls ups, 3 mile run back. Sounds like a good workout to me!!

Reactions: JWJ

JWJ

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Still in year 11?

My view was to stay on in college and do a level 3 ext. Diploma (worth 3 A-levels and course has given me hundreds of hours work experience w/military, mainly Marines including a week long look at life @ CTCRM).

In this time I've had a huge amount of physical training and grown in character and maturity, and its been really worthwhile.

If I were you I'd seriously consider year 12/13, if not purely to train even more and pickup level 3 qualifications.

Regardless, have you got a local gym membership? It is hugely beneficial to get access to a treadmill and pull up bars etc

drgraphics

Reaction score
Still in year 11?

My view was to stay on in college and do a level 3 ext. Diploma (worth 3 A-levels and course has given me hundreds of hours work experience w/military, mainly Marines including a week long look at life @ CTCRM).

In this time I've had a huge amount of physical training and grown in character and maturity, and its been really worthwhile.

If I were you I'd seriously consider year 12/13, if not purely to train even more and pickup level 3 qualifications.

Regardless, have you got a local gym membership? It is hugely beneficial to get access to a treadmill and pull up bars etc
I'd rather run on the road to be fair with you mate rather than on the tredmill, I know I'll have to for PJFT but right now just sticking to road runs, and I'm in my first year at college- just started, thinking of sticking out the first year- applying in December means I can leave June which is when the 1 year course would finish if I was to get in, if not I'd stay in college.

Local gym membership right now is risky for me since it's in a town near me which is quite far away, got to drive there. Parent's both work and I can't get a lift often, so to pay £30 a month for something I'd use maybe once a week doesn't seem 100% worth it right now.

I've got weights at home and do my situps / pushups most days etcetera.

drgraphics

Reaction score
3 mile run there, press ups sit ups pulls ups, 3 mile run back. Sounds like a good workout to me!!
Indeed a good workout!

Ran a mile today in basically 7 minutes in the rain, got completely drenched, but didn't stop just cause of a bit of rain. Was a good run.

JWJ

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I'd rather run on the road to be fair with you mate rather than on the tredmill, I know I'll have to for PJFT but right now just sticking to road runs, and I'm in my first year at college- just started, thinking of sticking out the first year- applying in December means I can leave June which is when the 1 year course would finish if I was to get in, if not I'd stay in college.

Local gym membership right now is risky for me since it's in a town near me which is quite far away, got to drive there. Parent's both work and I can't get a lift often, so to pay £30 a month for something I'd use maybe once a week doesn't seem 100% worth it right now.

I've got weights at home and do my situps / pushups most days etcetera.
College not got a gym?

And if I were you, from personal experience, try to do a regular treadmill run, even just a 1.5 - sheerly to get used to running on the stupid things; I wish I'd been practising on one before I passed medical.

drgraphics

Reaction score
College not got a gym?

And if I were you, from personal experience, try to do a regular treadmill run, even just a 1.5 - sheerly to get used to running on the stupid things; I wish I'd been practising on one before I passed medical.
I wish they did mate. I've got one in the shed at my house, but the roof on the shed currently is too low and my family aren't planning on fixing the shed anytime soon, means I have to find a gym or somewhere cheap with a tredmill.

Might just go running 1.5miles on the tredmill once a week.

JWJ

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
my family aren't planning on fixing the shed
Whats stopping you ;)

Might just go running 1.5miles on the tredmill once a week.
Thats what I wish I did in all honesty, it sounds stupid but it really is different compared to the road - I can easily get a 9 minute 1.5 consistently, but I've really really struggled transitioning to the treadmill for the PJFT - took me many mocks to even scrape pass times.

drgraphics

Reaction score
Whats stopping you ;)

Thats what I wish I did in all honesty, it sounds stupid but it really is different compared to the road - I can easily get a 9 minute 1.5 consistently, but I've really really struggled transitioning to the treadmill for the PJFT - took me many mocks to even scrape pass times.
I can imagine it being tough man, definitely going to take up that advice. I sent you a message too on the forums. :) Thanks again!

JWJ

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I can imagine it being tough man, definitely going to take up that advice. I sent you a message too on the forums. :) Thanks again!
I've come to believe that, as long as your getting a 9:30-9:00 1.5 mile, the PJFT is a mental game. Its a moment by moment battle in your head to achieve the pass time, if you let it slip its gone; but keep ontop of it mentally and keep in the right frame of mind throughout those 21 minutes, it can be relatively smooth.

drgraphics

Reaction score
I've come to believe that, as long as your getting a 9:30-9:00 1.5 mile, the PJFT is a mental game. Its a moment by moment battle in your head to achieve the pass time, if you let it slip its gone; but keep ontop of it mentally and keep in the right frame of mind throughout those 21 minutes, it can be relatively smooth.
Definitely man, well- currently reaching 7minutes on 1 mile, if I can stretch half a mile in just over 2 minutes- which I did today actually- slowed down for some reason, then I should be alright for my 1.5miles on the road, just getting that same time on the tredmill will be a battle.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I've got one of those door pullup bars, however my doorframe is pretty old and isn't strong enough to hold my weight on it pulling up and down etcetera, unfortunately. None of the other doors in my house fit the size of the pullup bar either.

I was thinking of applying in December, January time. Not 100% certain yet, still just training.

And nope, the score's aren't to the bleep but they're pretty exact with the same time spaces etcetera. Are you also applying mate?

You must have some big as.s doors! *text deleted*.

Try do them to the beep if you can the beep is on YouTube for the press/sit/pull ups you'd get used to it and see where you are standards wise so eillcbe handy.

As jwj pointed out you *text deleted* try run on a treadmill now and again as it's completely different than outside and with it bein tested on an incline makes a huge difference (harder) than outside.

Yea I've applied mate

drgraphics

Reaction score
You must have some big as.s doors! *text deleted*.

Try do them to the beep if you can the beep is on YouTube for the press/sit/pull ups you'd get used to it and see where you are standards wise so eillcbe handy.

As jwj pointed out you *text deleted* try run on a treadmill now and again as it's completely different than outside and with it bein tested on an incline makes a huge difference (harder) than outside.

Yea I've applied mate
Like doorframe pullup bar things, you can get them cheap on ebay you attach them to your doorframe and they are like.. adjustable- whenever you want them. Which is pretty cool, just my door can't hold my weight.

And definitely going to do the bleep test with pullup's etc. Thanks for the advice buddy. :)

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Like doorframe pullup bar things, you can get them cheap on ebay you attach them to your doorframe and they are like.. adjustable- whenever you want them. Which is pretty cool, just my door can't hold my weight.

And definitely going to do the bleep test with pullup's etc. Thanks for the advice buddy. :)

Yea I got one fella think mine holds 15 stone I just strewed it had no issues only downside is the height and the width is quite small so can't do wide ones so makes them harder.

No worries dude just put your phone next to you when doing press ups eg and you'll soon get in the rhythm

Taffinator

Reaction score
Still in year 11?

My view was to stay on in college and do a level 3 ext. Diploma (worth 3 A-levels and course has given me hundreds of hours work experience w/military, mainly Marines including a week long look at life @ CTCRM.

I 100% agree with @JWJ on going to do a public service course, gives you insight into the forces and all the different aspects of the military, especially the look @ life course which will give you a boost when getting to prmc.

Ryan.

Last edited:
Reactions: JWJ

New Threads