Telling when shinsplints are gone?

MTLloyd

Reaction score
Okay, so I gave myself a case of splints a couple of weeks ago and haven't run seriously since then.

Now I thought that after the best part of two weeks not really doing much they might have left me, and I was running around like a mad 'un on Wednesday with my re-enactment group (only short sprints, mind) with no trouble.

HOWEVER last night, just walking of all things, my shins were in absolute agony, and after I thought I was rid of them! It's the first time they've played up this week and I was wondering how is it you can tell when splints have gone? Is it a case of going for a run and seeing if they play up, or is it a case of leaving it another couple of weeks until they haven't hurt for a very long time? Any help would be much appreciated, lads. Sorry for the long post.

matty630

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
yeah with shin splints you can rest them until the pain has gone, but the question is why they were there in the first place until you know that they will always come back.......

What shoes do you run in?
Do you over pronate?

it could be your bio mechanics that need correcting, then having insoles or properly fitted foot wear, best bet is get a foot gait anylisis done which will rule out or confirm wether it is your running style, in which case the problem can be addressed with footwear and if necessery pysio. For now take ibuprofen and rest, but this is not an overall solution to the problem.

Dodger

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
everyone always said to me, oh just rest them. I could rest forever, soon as I run they would come back.

Firstly as said, assess your footwear, just because your running shoe might say asics etc. it doesn't mean that they are the right running shoes for you, you may be a normal footed person with motion control shoes for over pronators, or the other way round.
Get down to a running shop and have a quick gait analysis.

After that, if you get the correct running shoes and the problem persists, get down to a good podiatrist/physio. I used a seperate physio to podiatrist, my podiatrist has made me up some insoles which seem to have sorted the problem, along with my physios lengthening and strengthening exercises, but I am still worried that shin splints may come back, and sometimes when running i am expecting them to come back that much I think they are there. This new level of pain free running is hard to get used to *text deleted*.